“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-22:
Sunday, June 24, 2018
“A Fantastic Bus Ride”
Our teacher this Sunday is Sally Dowland and her topic is “A Fantastic Bus Ride”. Sally is a member of the Bereans Sunday School class and had been with us previously. She was on staff of RUMC where she was the adult coordinator.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Lynne & Dave Roberts and Martha Jane & Charlie Mason
Sunday, June 17
Members 89 + 1 teacher + 2 visitors = 92
Sunday, June 17
New CUC Member
Please welcome our newest CUC Class member Jan Williams
CUC’s Wednesday Night Out
This past week’s Wednesday Night Out Dinner on June 20 at the Olive Garden was enjoyed by 21 CUC members.
CUC Patriotic Potluck Picnic
The CUC Patriotic Potluck Picnic is in the DOD next Wednesday, June 27th at 5:30 pm.
The Fellowship Committee is providing barbecue, buns, and iced tea and dessert. Plan to bring potluck dishes or nibbles and non-alcoholic beverage of choice.
The Treble Makers will be singing for us at 6:30. Our Potluck Picnic is also a game night for those who wish to bring games to play. Cost? A Love offering for charity of your choice; Homestretch, Lunches for Learning, Murphy Harpst, MUST. (Please write checks to CUC with name of charity at bottom.) Questions? Contact Claudia Phelps
CUC CLASS OFFICERS FOR 2018-19
It’s time to be thinking about class officers for 2018-19 with responsibilities beginning in August. Sara Beecham, current Vice President, will move into the president position but many other jobs will likely be available.
Current committees have all done a great job and keeping some experienced persons on their current assignments is advisable. However, it is equally important to get new people involved. A nominating committee is working on this in the next few weeks. Information on current class committees is available on the class web site (CUCX.WORDPRESS.COM). If you’re interested in serving on any committee or would like to change your current assignment, please let me know asap. My goal is to have everything tied down by mid-July.
Many thanks, Tom Knight
Must Ministries Lunch Program
A big thank you to our class for the steady contributions of Apples for Must Ministries each week! Keep up the good work!
Continuing every Sunday through the months of June and July please bring bags of apples as you are able and they will be placed with the lunch crews for distribution with the bag lunches.
Last year we made 2400 lunches and plan to do that again this year. Our next date is June 26, Tuesday, 9:00 am, in the Fellowship Hall. We have enough volunteers signed up for that date but may need more some later on. The CUC MUST Lunch Committee consists of Sandy and Bill Griffin, Martha Jane Mason, Jeff and Lesleigh Coelho, Jim Boswell, Claudia Phelps.
2018 CUC RETREAT – OCTOBER 31 – NOVEMER 2
We will be passing the clip-board for sign-up to attend the CUC Retreat at Chick-fil-A’s Winshape facility again this week. THIS WILL BE THE LAST WEEK TO SIGN UP.
- We currently have 78 CUC’ers signed up plus our guest speakers.
- We will announce the guest speakers this Sunday!
- You may start giving your deposit this Sunday. The deposit is $150.00. Please make your check payable to “CUC Class” and add “Retreat” on the memo line.
- All deposits must be in by July 8 in order to hold the rooms.
- If you have any change in plans, please let us know immediately.
From a cost standpoint we are estimating the following rates: (subject to slight change)
- Married couple – $465
- Single – sharing a room $280
- Single – not sharing a room $350
- These rates include all meals, coffee breaks, ice cream breaks, etc.
Questions? Ask Roger Davis.
Reception for New Clergy
There is a reception this Sunday, June 24th after the 11:00 service for new clergy in the Fellowship Hall in the chapel building.
We cannot wait to see you this Sunday and hope that you make plans to attend the reception for
- Rev. Melissa Mobley
- Rev. Dr. Joe McKechnie
- Rev. Dr. Jeff Ross
Reminder next Sunday
Next Sunday, July 1st there is one service at 11am in the sanctuary and 11am in the chapel and hot dogs and ice cream will be served on the commons at noon.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Apples to CUC for MUST lunches!
Box Tops should be clipped when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores and brought for CUC Red Bird Ministry basket
Flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses – keep collecting them and bring to Sunday School.
- Bev Harrell – pray for healing of leg injury following fall
- Johnny Johnson – Pray for successful hip surgery next week.
- Edna Smith is home from successful hernia surgery. Prayers for a speedy recovery
- Arlis Bryant, sister of La Verne Lamb, has two masses on her left lung with midline lymph node involvement. She is having a biopsy this week and will start chemo with immunotherapy on Monday.
- Mary Serafina is planning to be at MD Anderson in Houston with her daughter Pam Pruit for a month for Pam’s cancer treatments. Pray for Pam’s recovery from pneumonia and successful cancer treatment
Ongoing Prayer Request
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey. Andrew’s trial has been postponed to July 18th.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. (Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Bev Tatom – June 26
- Wednesday, June 27– CUC Patriotic Pot Luck Picnic
- Friday, June 29, 7:30 PM, and Sunday, July 1, 3 PM – Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- Jul 26 – 27th – 28th Matinee 1 – 28th Matinee 2 – 29th – Acting Up – “Annie”
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
“Other” Calendar Events
- Jun 25 Log Cabin Day
- Jun 26 Forgiveness Day
- Jun 28 Paul Bunyan Day
- Jun 29 Camera Day
- Jun 29 Hug Holiday
Game Day and Dinner at the Olive Garden is set for Thursday July 14th at 3:00, 905 Holcomb Bridge Rd.
Sign up this Sunday or call Linda Mooney. If you can’t make the games, join us for dinner at about 5:30!
Great Time, Fellowship, George Constanza, and Food!!
CUC men and women will be gathering for an evening of fun and games, 6 pm – 9 pm, at the Woodlands Club House, 800 Woodland Parkway, Woodstock, next Sunday night , June 22, 2014. The women have had such fun playing games they are letting the men come too!! Please sign up to attend.
What you need to bring: $5.00 for each person (covers cost of clubhouse and dinnerware), your own beverages, a covered dish with food inside (social committee to furnish desserts), and an item to raffle off (Be creative. Possibilities: handmade item, special cake, a weekend at your farm or lake house, a dinner for four at your house, etc.).
Proceeds of the auction will go towards the purchase of the golf cart for transportation between the parking lots and the A and B buildings on Sunday mornings. Contact Mary Serafina or Martha Knight with any questions.
CUC will be gathering for an evening of fun and games, 6 pm – 9 pm, at the Woodlands Club House, 800 Woodland Parkway, Woodstock, on Sunday, June 22, 2014.
What you need to bring:
- $5.00 for each person (covers cost of clubhouse and dinnerware)
- Your own beverages
- A covered dish with food inside (social committee to furnish desserts)
- An item to raffle off (Be creative. Possibilities: handmade item, special cake, a weekend at your farm or lake house, a dinner for four at your house, etc.)