When he was only 10 years old, Jonathan Marshall was sent on a 240 mile bicycle trip. 3 days. Across 2 states. With no adult supervision. 45 years later, Jonathan can’t stop thinking about the trip. Or the little boys he made it with.
John Wesley’s Sermon 39
- “A Catholic Spirit” is all about how we are to embrace and encourage others who love God as we love God.
- It understands that among people, there will always be differences in
- how we understand and live out God’s will for us.
- But, we can see and acknowledge that others, though different from
- us, are filled with the same Spirit and motivated by, love, and follow the same God
- “narrow the field of irreducible disagreement between professing, practicing Christians”
- Scott Dickson’s Audio Lesson – A Catholic Spirit
- Presentation – A Catholic Spirit
- Text used in Scott’s Lesson
Standard Sermons of John Wesley
Book: John Wesley’s Sermons – An Anthology – Albert C. Outler & Richard P. Heitzenrater, eds.
Commission on a Way Forward
General Conference 2019
Commission on a Way Forward Videos
Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up. “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they among so many?”
Jesus Said, “Have the people sit down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, and the men sat down, about five thousand of them. Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.
John 6:8-1 1
Sunday, October 29, 2017
Peru Mission Trip
This week’s lesson will be presented this Sunday by our own Johnie Wright. Johnie will talk about his experiences when he went along with other church people on their mission trip to Peru this year.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Babs & Shaw Skillings and Sue & George Waite
CUC Class Attendance Sunday, October 22
82 members and 3 guests: total 85
CUC Class Contributions
Sunday, October 15 …. $113.
Sunday, October 22 ……. $85.
CUC Retreat this week!
It will be a very memorable retreat in a very beautiful location. Check in is 3 PM on Wednesday. Check out 11:00 Friday.
In addition to all the information that has been provided, just one word of caution….there is a 3 mile drive between the main campus and the convention center. (Berry is the largest college campus in the world.) There are lots of deer! Drive slowly. Be careful you don’t run into any of them unexpectedly!
A White Christmas for Murphy Harpst
As the result of CUC asking about a practical need at Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center, we will be collecting white bath towels for the teenagers there. The teenagers are responsible for doing their own laundry, and towels are in demand.
To give this project a festive flavor, a large laundry hamper decorated with a big ribbon will be available in the CUC classroom on Sundays starting November 5th. After December 10th all these gifts will be sent to Murphy-Harpst by way of Pam Kramer, a staff member who lives in Marietta. Thanks for sharing Christmas Blessings!
Questions? Contact Betty Hunt, Norma Hills, or Claudia Phelps
What to do with Leftover Halloween Candy ?
Please plan to bring extra Halloween candy to CUC and we will collect it for Murphy Harpst to send with the towels. There are 75 residents and 16 clinical professionals on staff there who will enjoy the treats!
Compassion & Community
Be sure to see today’s RUMC Friday Blast with the video which was shown at the 11:00 service last Sunday with our own Betty Hunt talking about Murphy Harpst.
Operation Christmas Child
Many people are gathering items for Operation Christmas Child. Lynn Roberts still has the boxes waiting to be filled. Our CUC goal is 100! The filled boxes are due back by November 13th. Bring them to Sunday School or drop them off in the church office.
Go on-line to Operation Christmas Child – How to Pack a Shoebox for full information. Have fun filling your box(es)! (No candy, liquids or toothpaste!) You will make some child very happy! By the way, the cost to Samaritan’s Purse for shipping each box this year is $9. The best way to pay is on line.
CUC Christmas Party
Mark your Calendars! The CUC Christmas Party will be on Monday, December 4th, at the Metropolitan Club.
You are invited to Grow in Faith in 2018
Please join RUMC for one of the following Grow in Faith gatherings with Tom Davis, where we will learn about some specific ways God is working in the lives at RUMC and beyond. Together, we will celebrate what God is doing through you and your support of RUMC. At each of these gatherings, there will be an opportunity to turn in a pledge card or you might want to take some time to pray about your contribution and return it later.Please let RUMC know you are coming by choosing a gathering listed. Each event will include a full meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).There are two more available dates left:
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 12 p.m. (following 11 a.m. Worship service)
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
- and it is very easy to sign up at rumc.com/gathering.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
For the benefit of Red Bird Mission School, please continue to clip Box Tops for Education bring them to class.
Labels for Education bar codes are still accepted until December 1, 2017, so any brought to CUC will be sent in before then.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Lynn Adcock as she continues to recover from chemo and regains mobility
- Shirley May – prayers for a quick recovery from hand surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Juliana Goodson‘s daughter Leslie and her husband Jason as they recover from multiple severe injuries following an auto accident.
- Sue Gardner asks for prayers for her brother, who had another incident with blood loss, this time with his heart stopping. Once he was revived and his blood pressure stabilized, the GI Team found and stopped the source of the bleeding. Please pray that this crisis is completely resolved, and that his other medical issues improve
- Kris Taylor‘s good friend Myra was finally released on Thursday, is at Kris’ home, and is actively looking for employment.
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Pat Peterson – Oct . 29
- Bill Thompson – Oct. 30
- Linda Mooney – Nov. 2
- Nancy Van Horn – Nov.3
- Mary Lee Copeland – Nov. 4
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College
- December 4 – CUC Christmas Party
Get to Know New RUMC Staff Member
This Sunday our speaker will be Kim Brammer, new Executive Director of the RUMC Foundation Inc. She is looking forward to getting to know us better and will also update us on the activities of the Foundation.
This is a reminder that our own – Doug Tatom– will be the speaker at this month’s RUMC Men’s Breakfast. Don’t miss this event – Thursday, July 7, 6:45 AM in the Dining Room. Great breakfast, great fellowship, great speaker!!
Allan Kennedy and John Kleinhans present a program entitled “Mary, The Most Powerful Woman In The World”.
Bob Fletcher shares with us “Pentecost Sunday”, the birthday of the Christian Church.
I have uploaded all of CUC’s Class Audio files to the Internet Archive. Our class lessons will be stored there for many years to come.
It will also mean that a wider audience will now be able to easily find and listen to God’s message from our classes teachers! Of course our lessons will remain on our CUC website, nothings has changed there!
I hope to continue to copy our wonderful class lessons to the Internet archive. check it out 😀