For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matthew 6:14
Sunday, October 16, 2022
What if I Can’t Forgive?
Our own Mark Goodwin will teach CUC again this week. His lesson this Sunday is “ What if I Can’t Forgive? “ Matthew 6:9-15 We always receive more insight into scripture through Mark’s lessons.
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. We still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home! (and for those with or exposed to Covid. ) CUC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
New RUMC Pastor
This past Sunday the Rev. Richard Long introduced himself to CUC as a new RUMC Associate Pastor. He has come out of retirement for 10 hours a week and will be officially working on Thursdays, but says he will be available any time. He and his wife are members of the Rejoice Sunday School Class.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she continues her chemo
- Don and Marlene McCleod as they move to assisted living
- Rose Lappe as she continues treatment for metastatic cancer and is making a trip to MD Anderson to find further treatment options. She appreciates your prayers.
- Laverne Lamb on the death of Dick Anthony who she has so lovingly cared for the last few years, and for Laverne’s daughter, Kathy Acree and Kathy’s family as she has come home from rehab and is being treated for tumors in her lungs and brain.
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Brenda Burrell as she suffers from back pain and her husband Bob Burrell, now recovering home, following a stroke.
- Gayle Crolius for relief of her chronic back and leg pain
- Babs Skillings – pray that with a new procedure she can have relief of her pain.
- Edna Smith is now at home with the help of caregivers
- Stan Thomason, former CUC member in declining health
- Pray for our caregivers of those who are ailing.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ukraine.
(Please continue to help keep your weekly CUC newsletter editor updated as to prayers needed for our fellow CUC members and their families.)
- Lenna Sharp – Oct 17
- Sue Gardner – Oct 18
- Shirley May – Oct 18
- Janet Buckley – Oct 19
- Cheryl Hammersley – Oct 22
CUC Christmas Party
Christmas will be here before you know it! And the CUC Christmas Party will be Tuesday, December 6. Mark your calendars and save your pennies! It will be an evening of food, fun, and fellowship. Please make checks out to CUC for $49 per person; all checks MUST be in by November 6th (a requirement of Metropolitan Club).
Christmas is Coming!
Lynn Roberts has boxes for Operation Christmas Child. Collection will end November 14 and Lynn will be gathering them starting the first of November. People may also fill a box online at Samaritans Purse, Operation Christmas Child.
Celebration Sunday BBQ
This Sunday, October 16, RUMC is celebrating with BBQ and Bluegrass. BBQ etc. will be served in the Fellowship Hall just after the 11:15 Services.
The upper parking lot will be blocked off with tables and stages for music for the event.
Charis Gallery Exhibit
Be sure to visit the Charis Gallery exhibit “Passages” which opened Oct. 2 in building A, outside the sanctuary. Several artists associated with CUC have pieces in the exhibit. Jan Buckley won second place and Roger & Gale Davis’ daughter Perri won first. Exhibit will be up all month…some really nice art.
Information from Jacob, RUMC Director of Hospitality:
The RUMC Hospitality Team will be serving up more great meals next week! Our Tuesday/Thursday Hot Lunches are available from 11:30 Am -1:30 PM.(We are still around after that if you need to pick up later). Also our freezer is fully stocked up with great meals for the whole family!
October 18th and October 20th
- Tuesday: Cheeseburger Pot Pie, Home Fries, BLT Salad.
- Thursday: Chicken Verde Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Pinto Beans.
Our last lunch of the 2022 will be on Tuesday, October 25, 2022.
The Hospitality staff will be gearing up for the holiday season in November and December. We will return in January of 2023 and will continue to have frozen meal options in the absence of the hot lunch drive through.
Wednesday Night Supper
Enjoy our Wednesday Night Supper in the Fellowship Hall each Wednesday evening from 5-7 p.m.
This Wednesday: , October 19th: Southern Shrimp and Andouille Sausage w/ Smoked Gouda Grits, Dill Buttered Green Beans w/ Caramelized Onions, Corn Bread Muffins, Brunswick Stew, Featured Salad Bar, Peach Cobbler Cake, Assorted Cookies
Journeying Through Dementia
Unfortunately in our age group we are often confronted with this problem. You’re invited to a program for Journeying Through Dementia on Thursday, October 27 from 10-11:30 a.m. in the Dining Room. Learn more about recognizing stages of dementia, common behaviors, ways to communicate, and managing caregiver stress. Pre-registration is required to attend the presentation or to request on-site care for your loved one (provided by Caravita Home Care).To preregister: rumc.com/outreach/care-support-group/
Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
A Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration with Jane Riley and Greg Davidson will be held on Thursday, October 27, 2022, 7-9 PM in Fellowship Hall. The CUC class has always enjoyed the evening and usually fill up several tables. Tickets are free! You and your special guests can come together for magical entertainment, music, yummy desserts, and great fellowship with Greg’s humor, magic, and guitar playing, and an extra performer this year, Todd Charles, a multi -talented and very funny entertainer. It will be a wonderfully fun “God Night.”
Claudia Phelps will have invitation packets for those who do not receive one in the mail. Questions? Write to Jane Riley firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 678.852.1685 to be placed on the “yes” list.
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix and Kroger.
- CUC Retreat – October 18-20
- Journeying Through Dementia – October 27 10:00 – 11:30 AM
- Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration – October 27, 7-9
- CUC Christmas Party – Tuesday, December 6