Sunday, September 25, 2022
“Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.” Hebrews 13:7 ESV
Roger Davis will lead CUC’s lesson this Sunday, discussing some of the history of RUMC, remembering the legacy of Malone Dodson, and playing the video prepared for Malone at his retirement. The video will help us recall the life and ministry of Malone for those who knew him as our leader and introduce him to those who have joined RUMC since Malone retired.
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. We still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home! (and for those with or exposed to Covid. ) CUC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
- Jeannie Ehlers as she recovers from her latest chemo
- Don and Marlene McCleod as they move to assisted living
- Brenda Burrell’s husband Bob Burrell for good recovery following a stroke
- Laverne Lamb’s daughter, Kathy Acree. Prayers for her and her family as she suffers from lung and brain tumors.
- Rose Lappe reports she and Jim met with her oncologist and though radiation did some good there is still active cancer in bones in multiple places. She is going off current chemo and being put on one that has been around for many years, praying it will be more effective. In the interim they are trying to get into M. D. Anderson in Houston. Rose says, ”I’m now asking for CUC and RUMC to pray for us to help make that happen. We wish to thank you all for the get well cards and phone calls. I am very fortunate to belong to such a wonderful group of believers. There definitely is POWER IN PRAYER.”
- Dick Anthony who continues to have health problems and for Laverne Lamb who cares for him
- Sister Backus– for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Gayle Crolius for relief of her chronic back and leg pain
- Babs Skillings – pray that she can have relief of her pain.
- Edna Smith is now at home with the help of caregivers
- Stan Thomason, former CUC member in declining health
- Pray for our caregivers of those who are ailing.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ukraine.
(Please continue to keep your weekly CUC newsletter editor updated as to prayers needed for our fellow CUC members and their families.)
- Gene Osborn – September 27
- Mary Kay Mills – September 28
Tee shirts for Honduras
During fall closet clean out, if you run across some tee shirts you would like to donate, please bring them to CUC. We are sending another box of clothing to Honduras and these are well used and greatly appreciated. All sizes can be used. Thank you and any questions call Claudia Phelps
Christmas is Coming!
Lynn Roberts has ordered boxes for Operation Christmas Child and will have them soon! Collection will start November 14 and Lynn will be gathering them starting the first of November. People may fill a box online at Samaritans Purse, Operation Christmas Child. The fee per box to cover shipping etc has increased from $9 per box to $10 per box. Lynn will make an announcement Sunday and answer questions.
Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
A Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration will be held on Thursday, October 27, 2022, 7-9 PM in Fellowship Hall. The CUC class has always enjoyed the evening and usually fill up several tables. Tickets are free! You and your special guests can come together for magical entertainment, music, yummy desserts, and great fellowship.
Believe Ministries was founded in 2007 in order to share the good news of Christ around the world. Jane Riley and Greg Davidson are long- time members of RUMC and have shared the good news of Christ all over the world, and have seen thousands of people give their lives to Christ. The special extra performer this year is Todd Charles, a multi -talented and very funny entertainer. It will be a wonderfully fun “God Night.”
Previous year’s guests will be receiving their invitations and tickets by mail by September 27 (watch for a red envelope.) Claudia Phelps will have invitation packets for those who do not receive one in the mail. Questions? Write to Jane Riley email@example.com or text to 678.852.1685 to be placed on the “yes” list.
Information from Jacob:
The RUMC Hospitality Team will be serving up more great meals next week! Our Tuesday/Thursday Hot Lunches are available from 11:30 Am -1:30 PM.(We are still around after that if you need to pick up later). Our freezer is fully stocked up with great meals for the whole family!
September 27th and September 29th
- Tuesday: Beef Chili, Steamed White Rice, Sauteed Corn, Corn Bread,
- Thursday: Chicken Pasta Alfredo, Steamed Broccoli, Garlic Bread.
- Frozen Meals ($7) Asian Pork Meatballs w/ Vegetable Fried Rice, Chicken and Dumplings, Mac and Cheese, Smoked Ham w/ Mac & Cheese, Beef Bourguignon w/ Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Pot Pie
- Frozen Soup $4(3 pints for $10)Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Family Size Meals ($25)Macaroni and Cheese
Wednesday Night Supper
Enjoy our Wednesday Night Supper in the Fellowship Hall each Wednesday evening from 5-7 p.m. This Wednesday, September 28: Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Loin w/ Apple Cider Pork Jus, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Carrot and Green Bean Medley, Yeast Roll, Bacon and Corn Chowder, Featured Salad Bar, Spice Cake, Assorted Cookies
MUST Neighborhood Pantry
For our October pantry, we’re collecting laundry detergent (the larger-sized jugs to last one month), feminine hygiene products (pads more popular than tampons), paper towels and bath towels. Why towels? We asked our local food pantry and thrift store at NFCC what were some of their most requested items. Towels were high on their list! (Buy your paper towels in bulk at Costco? Perfect! They are individually wrapped – we can break them down.) Donations can be dropped-off at the pantry building at RUMC on Sundaycuc1 9:00-12:00 PM or Monday, October 3rd 12:00 PM-4:00 PM.
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix and Kroger.
- Malone Dodson Golf Tournament – October 10
- CUC Retreat – October 18-20
- Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration – October 27, 7-9
- CUC Christmas Party – Tuesday, December 6