Sunday, August 28, 2022
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Final Instructions to Timothy
Mark Kramer, a member of the Berean class and one of our favorite teachers, is looking forward to being with CUC again this Sunday. His friend Bob Fletcher told him that he was with us and taught on I Thessalonians. Since that was the first letter that Paul wrote, Mark decided to teach on Paul’s last letter: 2 Timothy which he thinks is his favorite book of the bible. He suggests that everyone reads the entire letter which is just 4 chapters. Key verses are 2 Timothy 1:6, 2:2, 2:15, 3:16-17 and 4:2-3.
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. We still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home! (And for those with or exposed to Covid. ) CUC has a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
Honoring Our CUC Past President
Instead of a year-end gift to our outgoing CUC president Sandy Martin , at her request, a donation from CUC has been sent to Homestretch.
Thank you Sandy for your great leadership of CUC this past year.
New Class Rosters
Thanks to Dave Roberts who has again provided the CUC Class with updated and current rosters of the CUC members, officers, birthdays and anniversaries. CUC now has 149 total members…49 couples, and 51 single members.
CUC Fellowship Committee
The committee that plans and puts on all the CUC social events would like to have more people participate on that committee. The committee will meet this Sunday after class.
Anyone interested in going as a group please contact Bobbie Causey
CUC RETREAT ATTENDEES: Remember to get your check to Jim Morman or Sandy Martin ASAP. All attendees should have received an email on Tuesday, August 2 from the retreat committee with details on how to make out your check. Payment sooner rather than later is preferable! All payments must be submitted by Tuesday, Oct 4.
Save the Date
The CUC Christmas Party will be December 6 at 6:00 pm at The Metropolitan Club in Alpharetta. The price will include the same lovely venue and delicious food, with some fun holiday activities! You don’t want to miss it!! More details to follow with sign up beginning soon.
- Gayle Crolius – prayers are much appreciated upon the return of her chronic back and leg pain, limiting her ability to walk. .
- Charlotte Dodson and the Dodson family on the passing of Malone who was so dearly loved by all.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she and Jim are at MD Anderson this week for further evaluation of her cancer therapy
- Susan Emmons as she moves to Michigan at the end of the month to be with family.
- Lizanne Gibson for good recovery following hip replacement surgery
- Bill Lanham continuing to regain his strength and stamina
- Rose Lappe for prayers as she is being treated with radiation
- Lynda and Bob Leckie as they sell their home of 49 years and make a move to south Georgia at the end of this month
- Shirley May – pray for a full and speedy recovery from surgery
- Don McCleod – Pray for good recovery following total hip replacement surgery
- Babs Skillings – pray that the spinal cord stimulator placed in her back has the desired effect of relief of her pain.
- Brenda Burrell’s husband Bob Burrell hospitalized in ICU after suffering a stroke this past Wednesday
- Laverne Lamb’s daughter, Kathy Acree. Prayers still needed. Until Sept. 8, she will be at Emory University rehab center trying to regain use of her left leg and her speech. Then she will have cyber knife surgery and chemo for lung cancer.
- Don & Ann McNew’s son Mike who has been in Piedmont Hospital determining source of infection following recent dialysis. Please pray for his full recovery.
- Dick Anthony who is doing better with multiple myeloma
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Edna Smith is now at home with the help of caregivers
- Please keep Vince Grosse’s ’s brother, Vern, in your prayers as he continues to have treatment for cancer in his liver. Vern sends his appreciation to the class.
- Stan Thomason, former CUC member, is in declining health according to his son Scott . His memory isn’t good and is slowly getting worse. He no longer has phone service so trying to give Stan a phone call is no longer possible. We need to keep Stan in our prayers. If anyone wishes to send Stan a card, they can send it via Stan’s son Scott. Scott’s address is 114 Sugar Cane Ct, Greer SC 29650
Pray for our caregivers of those who are ailing.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ukraine.
(Please continue to keep your weekly CUC newsletter editor updated as to prayers needed for our fellow CUC members and their families.)
- Fred Brown – August 28
- Colleen Taylor – August 29
- Sharon Erdman – August 31
- Ann Douglas – September 1
- LaVerne Lamb – September 3
- Mike and Garlinn Story – August 28, 1969- Portland, OR, 53 years
- Bob and Lynda Leckie – September 2, 1962- Blackshear, GA, 60 years !!
- Jim and Jeannie Ehlers – September 2, 1967- Virginia Beach, VA, 55 years
Meals To-Go and Wednesday Night Supper
Hot Meals To-Go are back! Drive through each Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. August 30th and September 1st:
- Tuesday: Spaghetti Bolognese, Garlic Bread, Caesar Salad.
- Thursday: Smoked Ham, Mac & Cheese, Stewed Green Beans, Yeast Roll.
We are also thrilled to be resuming our Wednesday Night Suppers in the Fellowship Hall each Wednesday evening from 5-7 p.m.
This Wednesday we are having Pan Fried Chicken Breast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Vegetable Medley, Honey Butter Biscuits, Cheesy Broccoli Soup, Featured Salad Bar, Banana Pudding, Assorted Cookies
MUST Neighborhood Pantry
The MUST Neighborhood Pantry on Mimosa is gearing-up for its next grocery distribution on Tuesday, September 6th. Though most pantries will be held on the first Monday of each month, the September pantry will be on a Tuesday because of the holiday weekend. For September, the pantry needs donations of laundry detergent and feminine hygiene products (pads are preferred). Because the pantry is now monthly, the larger size of detergent and larger boxes/bags of pads are ideal.
Each month, the pantry will also ask for donations of a “special item” that has been identified as a need in the community. Throughout the month of September, we will collect paper towels and bath towels, which will be distributed to our client families at the pantry on October 3rd. Donations of laundry detergent, feminine hygiene products, paper towels and bath towels can be dropped off in the pantry building on Sundays 9:00 AM-12:00 PM or on the day of the pantry (Tuesday, September 6th) 12:00-4:00 PM. For more information, contact Scotty Brewington (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary Ann Bender (email@example.com).
RUMC Mission Booth
From Annette Whaley:
The RUMC mission booth at City Antiques is looking for furniture, Holiday items (no garland or wreaths unless spectacular), nice lamps, pictures, decorative items, antiques, Jewelry (fine and costume).
If uncertain about what we will take, email me with pictures at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text at 770-634-2289 to Annette Whaley.
If you have a whole house of items and need pick up that can be arranged with 2 weeks notice (maybe less). Items in boxes and bags can be dropped off at church office or if just a couple of pieces of furniture and you want to drop it off at City Antiques Mission Booth, I or one of the Booth Babes will meet you there. These 2 booths have been donated to us by City Antiques and all the money goes to various missions. So try to go by and support City Antiques. It is a wonderful place to browse and find a treasure.
Seniors Enriched Living
The SEL program begins live Tuesday and Thursday mornings beginning the 3rd week in September. For more information go to selroswellga.org
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix and Kroger.
- Malone Dodson Golf Tournament – October 10
- CUC Retreat – October 18-20
- CUC Christmas Party – Tuesday, December 6