Sunday, August 21, 2022
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly explaining the word of truth. – 2 Timothy 2:15 NRSV
Final Instructions to Timothy
Mark Kramer, a member of the Berean class and one of our favorite teachers, is looking forward to being with CUC the next two Sundays. His friend Bob Fletcher told him that he was with us the past two Sundays and taught on I Thessalonians. Since that was the first letter that Paul wrote (although some say Galatians was) Mark decided to teach on Paul’s last letter: 2 Timothy which he thinks is his favorite book of the bible. He suggests that everyone reads the entire letter which is just 4 chapters.
Key verses are 2 Timothy 1:6, 2:2, 2:15, 3:16-17 and 4:2-3.
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. We still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home! (And for those with or exposed to Covid. ) CUC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
Wednesday Night Out
There were 20 CUC people at this past week’s CUC WNO at the Marietta Fish Market.
Next Wednesday we go back to Fellowship Hall and Jacob’s fine cooking.
CUC RETREAT ATTENDEES: Remember to get your check to Jim Morman or Sandy Martin ASAP. All attendees should have received an email on Tuesday, August 2 from the retreat committee with details on how to make out your check. Payment sooner rather than later is preferable! All payments must be submitted by Tuesday, Oct 4.
Save the Date
The CUC Christmas Party will be December 6 at 6:00 pm at The Metropolitan Club in Alpharetta. The price will include the same lovely venue and delicious food, with some fun holiday activities! You don’t want to miss it!! More details to follow with sign up beginning soon.
- Gayle Crolius – prayers are much appreciated upon the return of her chronic back and leg pain, limiting her ability to walk, as she is considering treatment options.
- Charlotte Dodson and the Dodson family on the passing of Malone who was so dearly loved by all.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she has started a new course of cancer-fighting drugs and plans a trip to MD Anderson
- Susan Emmons as she moves to Michigan at the end of the month to be with family.
- Daphne Fradle – For good healing of arm fracture following a fall
- Lizanne Gibson for good recovery following hip replacement surgery
- Evelyn Hatfield, a relatively new CUC member, passed away last Saturday. Pray for her family.
- Bill Lanham was released from the hospital Sunday evening and is doing well, trying to regain his strength and stamina. Thank you for all your calls, emails and cards.
- Rose Lappe for prayers as she is being treated with radiation
- Lynda and Bob Leckie as they sell their home of 49 years and make a move to south Georgia at the end of this month
- Shirley May – pray for a full and speedy recovery from surgery
- Don McCleod – Pray for good recovery following total hip replacement surgery
- Babs Skillings – pray that the spinal cord stimulator placed in her back has the desired effect of relief of her pain.
- Dick Anthony – who is doing better with multiple myeloma
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Edna Smith is now at home with the help of caregivers
- Please keep Vince Grosse’s ’s brother, Vern, in your prayers as he recovers from a procedure to destroy cancer cells in his liver. Vern sends his appreciation to the class.
- Laverne Lamb’s daughter, Kathy had brain surgery to remove tumors. The surgery was a success. They got 99.9 percent. Pray for a good recovery.
Pray for our caregivers of those who are ailing.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ukraine.
- Daphne Fradl – August 23
- Sieg and Judy Hoogstraal – August 23, 2008 – Asheville, NC-14 years
- Charles and Martha Jane Mason – August 24, 1968 – Atlanta, GA – 54 years!
Information From Jacob Crane:
The RUMC Hospitality Ministry will be back in full swing this coming week! We will have hot lunches available for take home on Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. Our freezer is fully loaded with delicious meals for purchase as well.
You can order all meals online and pay by credit card by clicking on the links : https://my.rumc.com/portal/event_signup.aspx?id=21877
Here are the menus for the drive-thru this coming week: August 23rd and August 25th ,
- Tuesday: Beef Stroganoff w/ Egg Noodles, Pickled Beet Salad, Yeast Roll. $7($30 Family Meal)
- Thursday: Chicken and Dumplings, Peas and Carrots, Buttered Biscuit. $7 ($30 Family Meal)
- Frozen Meals $7 –
- Mexican Beef w/ Rice and Beans,
- Asian Pork Meatballs w/ Vegetable Fried Rice,
- Caribbean Pork Fried Rice,
- Chicken Cacciatore w/ Rice Pilaf,
- Swedish Beef Meatballs w/ Rice Pilaf,
- Frozen Soup $4(3 pints for $10)
- Chicken Noodle Soup,
- Family Size Meals ($25) Mac and Cheese,Chicken Pot Pie, Beef Chili
Wednesday Night Supper
We will hold our first RUMC Wednesday Night Supper of the season on Wednesday August 24th from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm in the Fellowship Hall!
- Hickory Smoked Pork Loin w/ Peach Dijon BBQ Sauce,
- Wild Rice, Collard Greens and Black-Eyed Peas,
- Yeast Rolls, Creamy Mushroom Soup, Featured Salad Bar, Peach Cobbler w/ Vanilla Ice Cream,
- $10.00 ($30.00 Family Max or Family “To GO”)
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix and Kroger.
- Malone Dodson Golf Tournament – October 10
- CUC Retreat – October 18-20
- CUC Christmas Party – December 6