May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. 1 Thessalonians 3:12
Sunday, August 14, 2022
What’s Love Got To Do With It?
One of our favorite teachers, Bob Fletcher will be our CUC speaker again this week. His title this week is “What’s love got to do with it?” 1 Thessalonians 3:12
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. We still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home! (And for those with or exposed to Covid. ) CUC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
Back to School, Back to Church Sunday
After the 11:15 church service this Sunday there will be BBQ, ice cream, food and entertainment in the parking lot by the Fellowship Hall. There will be seating outside and also available in the Fellowship Hall and Dining Room.
Parking will be blocked off this Sunday in the upper parking lot by the Fellowship Hall for the BBQ to be set up. We hope to have a few golf cart drivers available to help transport members to the B building classrooms and to and from the Sanctuary. There will be at least two golf carts running from 9:30 -10:00, 10:45-11:15, and 12:00-12:45 and maybe throughout the BBQ .
There will be a volunteer from CUC or Crosstalk out to move cones as needed for cars to drop off any members with mobility needs. Tables and chairs will be set up, but there should be room to drop off and turn around depending on how everything is set up.
CUC Wednesday Night Out
There were 34 people at this past week’s CUC WNO. CUC Wednesday Night Dinner for August 17 at 5:30 will be at: Marietta Fish Market [Menu], 3185 Canton Rd., Marietta. If you don’t sign up in class and can attend, or if you sign up and can’t attend, please notify Larry Douglas by Noon Tuesday.
CUC RETREAT ATTENDEES: Remember to get your check to Jim Morman or Sandy Martin. All attendees should have received an email on Tuesday, August 2 from the retreat committee with details on how to make out your check. Payment sooner rather than later is preferable! All payments must be submitted by Tuesday, Oct 4.
- Gayle Crolius – prayers are much appreciated upon the return of her chronic back and leg pain, limiting her ability to walk, as she is considering treatment options.
- Charlotte Dodson and the Dodson family on the passing of Malone who was so dearly loved by all.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she has started a new course of cancer-fighting drugs
- Susan Emmons as she moves to Michigan at the end of the month to be with family.
- Daphne Fradle – For good healing of arm fracture following a fall
- Lizanne Gibson for good recovery following hip replacement surgery
- Bill Lanham is in Kennestone Hospital. He had some bleeding issues, low sodium level and high potassium. Trying to find the causes. Bill and Patsy appreciate your prayers. He has done so well with his hip replacement three weeks ago and this just came “out of the blue”.
- Rose Lappe for prayers as she is being treated with radiation
- Shirley May – pray for a full and speedy recovery from surgery
- Don McCleod – Pray for good recovery following total hip replacement surgery
- Babs Skillings – pray that the spinal cord stimulator placed in her back has the desired effect of relief of her pain.
- Dick Anthony who is doing better with multiple myeloma
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Brenda Burrell’s husband Bob for pain relief
- Edna Smith is now at home with the help of caregivers
- Please keep Vince Grosse’s ’s brother, Vern, in your prayers as he recovers from a procedure to destroy cancer cells in his liver. Vince & Donna appreciate all your prayers.
- Laverne Lamb’s daughter, Kathy had brain surgery to remove tumors last Monday. The surgery was a success. They got 99.9 percent. Pray for a good recovery.
- Pray for our caregivers of those who are ailing.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ukraine.
- Congratulations to Mike and Garlinn Story on the birth of their new granddaughter!
The memorial service for Malone Dodson is this Friday, August 12, at 11:00 in the sanctuary with fellowship following in the Fellowship Hall.
It will be live streamed on the RUMC website.
The memorial service for former long-term CUC member Betty Gay will be on Thursday August 18, in the chapel at 2:00 PM. Bill Floyd will be officiating.
- Gale Davis – August 14
- Shaw Skillings – August 17
- John Phelps – August 18
- Hugh and Sue Gardner – August 15, 1970, Watertown, NY, 52 years
From the RUMC Kitchen:
We look forward to Jacob’s drive-through lunches which are starting back again this week, Tuesday and Thursday. 11:30-1:30
Here is the menu for the hot take-home lunches August 16th and August 18th
- Tuesday: Beef and Cheese Tacos w/ Fresh Salsa, Mexican Rice, Pinto Beans.
- Thursday: Ginger Sesame Pork Meatballs, Vegetable Fried Rice, Egg Roll, Fresh Fruit.
Due to inflation the price on both hot meals and frozen meals has had to be increased to $7.
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix and Kroger.
- Malone Dodson Golf Tournament – October 10
- CUC Retreat – October 18-20