Sunday, March 20, 2022
Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
Mike Story has our lesson for the next two weeks. We are continuing Witness at the Cross with Amy Jo Levine. This week is Chapter Three, “The Soldiers”.
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but we still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home!
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
CUC Class Attendance
March 13, 2022
- Members: 62
- Visitors: 2
- Teacher (class member) 1
- Zoom: 24
- Total: 89
Welcome Our Newest CUC Members!
Allen and Carol Kline
CUC St. Patrick’s Day Party
Thank you to Mike and Garlinn Story, Jeff Coelho, and the rest of our wonderful CUC Fellowship Committee for planning and putting on a really great and fun St. Patrick’s Day Party. A good time was had by all!
CUC Small Group Dinners
Sign-ups are starting for CUC Small Group Dinners. This is a wonderful chance to get together in small groups and get to know your fellow CUC members better while enjoying a shared meal. Sign up in class or contact Kris Taylor if you would like to participate.
CUC Retreat Planning
If you are planning to go to our CUC retreat, Oct. 18-20, and wish to reserve your room now (cancellation up to 72 hours before the event), you may call The Ridges Resort on Lake Chatuge (Tel. #: 706 896 2262) at any time.
Please tell the resort that you are booking one of the rooms being held in a block for CUC (lakeside room) for Oct. 18-20, 2022. Rate is $149.48/night. and we are currently holding 30 rooms. Although The Ridges will ask for a credit card to secure your reservation, your credit card will not be charged until you check out at the conclusion of the retreat.
The Retreat Committee hopes we will have a great turnout for what promises to be a joyous experience of worship and fellowship.
Please, each of you CUC members, do your part in keeping this newsletter interesting and current. Don’t think that somebody else will do it! If there are events that you think would be of interest to CUC members or updates or additions to prayer requests please let the editor know before Thursday evening each week. That is what will keep our weekly newsletter up-to-date and interesting.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she continues with her chemo treatments
- Carey Floyd recovering from a fall
- Lynn Adcock’s great niece, Elizabeth Watts, age 11, as she is making a good recovery from open heart surgery last Monday
- Vince Grosse’s brother recently diagnosed with liver cancer.
- Vince and Donna’s friend Susan Ouzts as she battles cancer. This is a critical time for her. She has received the T-cell infusion and will have an MRI/CT scan in two weeks to gauge her progress.She is aware of and appreciates our prayers.
- Pray for CUC family members in harm’s way ….
- Bob and Sharon Erdman’s grandson Alex who is teaching in Georgia
- Martha & Tom Knights’ daughter Dorothy and family in Warsaw.
- Dick Anthony with ongoing problems with multiple myeloma. Pray for him and also for Laverne Lamb as she cares for Dick.
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Malone Dodson to continue recovery from stroke. He has had improvement with his swallowing issues.
- Marlene and Don MacLeod with multiple health issues.
- Pray also for our caregivers of those who are ailing!
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the people of Ucraine.
Cheryl Hammersley’s husband Bill‘s memorial/celebration of life is on Thursday, March 24 at 1 PM in the RUMC Chapel followed by greeting and refreshments in the Parlor.
- Diane Johnson – March 23
- Maureen Osborn – March 24
- Hazel Pearce – March 26
- Bob and Sharon Schnakenberg – March 23, 1968, Las Vegas, NV , 54 years!
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
From Jacob Crane:
RUMC Weekly Take Home and Frozen Meals continue every Tuesday and Thursday from 12 until 2PM at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. All meals are just $5.00. Here are the menus for March 22th and March 24th
- Tuesday: Ginger-Sesame Beef, Steamed White Rice, Stir-Fried Vegetables, Egg Roll.
- Thursday: BBQ Pulled Pork, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, Yeast Roll.
- Our Current Selection of $5 Frozen Meals…First Come First Serve! Check back later in the week for more options! Shepherd’s Pie, Spinach and Mushroom Frittata, and Irish Beef Stew
- Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10) Potato and Leek Bisque, Black Bean Soup
We are looking forward to another Wednesday Night Supper next Wednesday, March 16, 4:30 -6:45PM in the Fellowship Hall. This week’s menu is:
- Pan Fried Chicken Breast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Fresh Corn on the Cob, Biscuits, Featured Salad Bar, Tomato Bisque, Lemon Pie, and Assorted Cookies
We encourage you to dine in and enjoy the fellowship, but we understand that many of you feel more comfortable taking food home, so take-out containers will be set up and available.
Serving Side by Side
Serving Side by Side weekend is coming up this weekend March 18-20. RUMC will be working with other mission partners to support mission partners worldwide including Rise Against Hunger to package 15,000 meals.
Rise Against Hunger is an international hunger relief non-profit organization that distributes food and other aid to needy people in developing nations. As part of the upcoming church wide mission project, Serving Side by Side, RUMC has committed to packaging 15,000 meals to support Rise Against Hunger. Pastor Marion Brown needs 125 volunteers to help reach this goal.
The CUC Mission Outreach Committee thinks that our class could be part of this worthwhile project Saturday, March 19 from 10 to Noon. There are jobs for everyone.
There are many more mission opportunities coming up. See the RUMC website for more information.
Life With Father
ActingUp is putting on a new show! Life with Father! These shows are really great. Not to be missed! For Saturday March 26, 5:30 pm Dinner and Show, and Sunday March 27 12:30 pm Brunch and Show.
Support for Ukraine
As we keep all those suffering from war in your prayers , if you would like to donate for support of relief efforts, please make checks out to RUMC with “Ukraine” in the memo line or go to rumc.com/give and select disaster relief.
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- March 18 -20 – Serving Side by Side
- March 26, 5:30, March 27,12:30 – Acting Up, Life with Father
- March 30, 6:30 – Board of Stewards meeting on Commons Project
- April 24, 3:00 – Organ recital-rededication of the updated organ.
- October 18-20 – CUC Retreat