It’s in Christ that you, once you heard the truth and believed it (this Message of your salvation), found yourselves home free—signed, sealed, and delivered by the Holy Spirit. This down payment from God is the first installment on what’s coming, a reminder that we’ll get everything God has planned for us, a praising and glorious life. Ephesians 1:13-14
Sunday, February 27, 2022
How the English Bible Came to Be
Dean Tucker will conclude his excellent series this week. He is a member of the BYKOTA Sunday School class and was a professor at Oglethorpe.
The title of his lesson will be “How the English Bible Came to Be.” In this lesson he will be exploring such topics as:
- Christian beliefs about the creation of the Bible.
- The case for the Bible as the inspired Word of God
- In what language(s) was the Bible originally written?
- When was the Bible written?
- Who wrote the Bible?
- Why was the Bible written?
- How was the Bible written and preserved throughout the early stages?
- How was it determined what to include or exclude in the Bible?
- How were the books of the Bible named and ordered?
- The bloody, violent and murderous path to our present day English Bible
- How and why are there so many translations and versions of the Bible?
The three lessons will be built upon the following words of Scripture:
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but we still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home!
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
CUC Class Attendance
February 20, 2022
Members .. 68
Visitors .. 5
Teacher .. 1
Zoom .. 9
Total .. 83
CUC Weekly Newsletter Updates
For any items to be added or removed from the Friday CUC newsletter, or any CUC prayer requests through Friday, March 4th please send to Doug Tatom.
Sign up for Daily Lenten Devotionals
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2
- Join us for a drop-in Ash Wednesday Experience
- All are welcome to receive an imposition of ashes, Holy Communion, and a time of prayer in the Chapel.
- 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. & 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Pastor on the Porch
Join Rev. Melissa Kime-Hall for a time of conversation, connection, and prayer. We make space for people to explore questions, faith, and discipleship. This time is open to all people and ages.
The group will meet bi-weekly from 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. beginning on Thursday, March 3 and ending on Thursday, May 12 on The Porch at 846 Mimosa Blvd. No registration is required. For more information,
contact Rev. Melissa Kime-Hall – email: email@example.com
CUC St. Patrick’s Day Party
Happy St. Patrick’s DayOur St. Patrick’s Day party (Thursday, March 17th) is on the calendar and thanks to the many who have signed up we are looking forward to a fun evening.
Please remember you are still able to sign up for the next week. This Sunday we will be passing the sign-up sheet and collecting checks ($30 per person) for the dinner and venue. If you want to sign up and have not been able to do so in class, please email Mike Story with your name(s).
We will have the food, dessert, iced tea and coffee supplied by Jacob. He has planned a wonderful Irish-style meal for us. You may bring your own alcoholic beverage. Looking forward to an evening where we will be Wear’n the Green and celebrating all things Irish!
Watch for an announcement in the next few weeks of another Wednesday church dinner/game night. Those who attended enjoyed great food, fellowship and fun.
- Margie Avery is now in assisted living at Hearthstone, 350 Market Pl., Roswell 30075. She appreciates all the cards and texts and attention from CUC members during this difficult time.
- Gale Crolius asks for prayers as she recovers from surgery
- Jeannie Ehlers as she continues with her chemo treatments
- Vince Grosse’s brother who has been diagnosed with liver cancer
- Bev Tatom’s sister and brother-in-law, Judy & Ron Fox – Judy is home and feeling better, no change in brother-in-law Ron Fox. They would like to Thank CUC for all their wonderful prayers
- Dick Anthony with ongoing problems with multiple myeloma. Pray for him and also for Laverne Lamb as she cares for Dick.
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Malone Dodson to continue recovery from stroke.
- Marlene and Don MacLeod – who both are having multiple health issues.
- Mary Kay Mills – thanksgiving that she is in remission and she is gaining back her strength
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at The Georgian Lakeside
- Edna Smith at the Mansions, Alpharetta
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts who has cancer. She greatly appreciates our prayers.
Pray also for our Caregivers of those who are ailing!
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Marlene MacLeod – Sunday, February 27
- Jeannie Ehlers – Monday, February 28
- Linda Boswell – Friday, March 4
- Linda and Tom Cantrell – Sunday, February 27 – Anniversary – 1965
- Stella and Wilfred Boayue – Sunday, February 27 – Anniversary – 1972
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
From Jacob Crane: Wednesday Night Supper
March 2, 2022 – 4:30-6:45 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall.
- Dill Crusted Salmon, Vegetable Rice Pilaf, Herbed Veggie Medley, Yeast Roll
- Soup: Corn Chowder
- Featured Salad Bar
- Burnt Sugar Cake, and Assorted Cookies
- Iced Tea and Coffee
RUMC Weekly Take Home and Frozen Meals
Continue every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM.
Here are the menus for March 1st and March 3rd:
- Tuesday: Chicken Cacciatore w/ Egg Noodle, Veggie Medley, Yeast Roll.
- Thursday: Beef Chili, Steamed White Rice, Sauteed Corn and Peppers, Corn Bread.
You can pick up meals at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. All meals are just $5.00.
Volunteers Are Needed
The Sunday Morning Volunteer Team is looking for Welcome and Door Hosts for Sanctuary services. The schedule is done weekly with those available to serve that week . Joann Hobbs >> firstname.lastname@example.org.
Life With Father
ActingUp is putting on a new show! Life with Father! These shows are really great. Not to be missed! Tickets went on sale on Wednesday, February 16th. For:
- Saturday March 26 5:30 pm – Dinner and Show
- Sunday March 27 12:30 pm – Brunch and Show
Tables are available for either 6 or 8. If you would like to choose your table:
- Table of 6: $180 (includes a tax-deductable donation to ActingUP for $60)
- Table of 8: $240 (includes a tax-deductable donation to ActingUP for $80).
- If you would like General Admission at tables selected for you by ActingUP, seats are $20 apiece.
Serving Side by Side
Serving Side by Side weekend is coming up March 18-20 so save the date. RUMC will be working with other mission partners to support mission partners worldwide including Rise Against Hunger to package 15,000 meals.
Support for Our CUC Missions:
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
- Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- March 2, Wednesday – 11:30 am-1:00 pm & 4:00-7:00 pm – Ash Wednesday – drop-in
- March 17, Thursday – CUC St. Patrick’s Day Party
- March 18-20, Friday thru Sunday – Serving Side by Side
- March 26, Saturday – 5:30pm and March 27, Sunday – 12:30pm – Acting Up, Life with Father
- April 14 – 7:00-9:00am & 4:00-6:00pm, Thursday – Maundy Thursday – drop-in (in the Sanctuary)
- April 15 – noon & 7:30pm, Friday – Good Friday – Youth-led service in the Chapel at noon & Seven Last Words of Christ service in the Sanctuary at 7:30 p.m.
- APRIL 4. Sunday – Easter
- Sunrise – 6:30 a.m. on The Commons
- Sanctuary Services – 9:00 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
- Chapel Roswell – 11:15 a.m.
- April 24, Sunday, 3:00pm – Organ recital – rededication of the updated organ.
- October 18-20, Tuesday thru Thursday – CUC Retreat