Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. Mark 13:31
Sunday, February 13, 2022
How the English Bible Came to Be
Dean Tucker will be leading CUC for the last three weeks in February. He is a member of the BYKOTA Sunday School class and was a professor at Oglethorpe.
The title of his lesson will be “How the English Bible Came to Be.” In this lesson he will be exploring such topics as:
The three lessons will be built upon the following words of Scripture:
- Christian beliefs about the creation of the Bible.
- The case for the Bible as the inspired Word of God
- In what language(s) was the Bible originally written?
- When was the Bible written?
- Who wrote the Bible?
- Why was the Bible written?
- How was the Bible written and preserved throughout the early stages?
- How was it determined what to include or exclude in the Bible?
- How were the books of the Bible named and ordered?
- The bloody, violent and murderous path to our present day English Bible
- How and why are there so many translations and versions of the Bible?
- Mark 13:31, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:19-21,1 Thessalonians 2:13
CUC Sunday School Class
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but we still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home or who are away from home!
Those attending class via Zoom should be signed into Zoom and admitted no later than 9:40 AM to prevent feedback noise. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation on this!
CUC Class Attendance
February 6, 2022
Tour of RUMC Campus
CUC is fortunate to have a number of folks who have joined the class recently. Several have mentioned they would like to know more about the history of RUMC and to tour the facilities.
We have scheduled an event for this coming Wednesday, February 16. We will gather in the parlor at 4:00 pm. The session will last approximately 1 ½ hours
The tour will end around 5:30 pm, just in time for Wednesday Night Dinner (which is optional – but you will be missing a good meal and fellowship).
The tour will be led by Gale & Roger Davis. There will be a sign-up sheet passed this Sunday and next.
CUC St Patrick’s Day Party
Garlinn Story has announced plans for a CUC social event. The Huntcliff clubhouse has been booked for March 17th. So mark your calendar and plan to attend a fun party on that date.
A clipboard will be passed for signups for the St. Patrick’s Day party Thurs. March 17th. We have an estimate on the per person cost of $30 for a Irish style meal to be hosted at the Huntcliff Club house. Bring your own beverage (alcohol or not). Bottled water will be on each table. We need a firm commitment and clear numbers in order to proceed.
If you will be on Zoom, but want to sign up – please email Mike Story with your name(s)
CUC Fall Retreat
Jim Morman has announced plans for the 2022 CUC Fall Retreat. It will be October 18-20, to be held again at The Ridges in Hiawasee. Our leader will be Michael Cromwell with the subject being “The Joy of Christianity”. Mark your calendars!
Murphy Harpst Birthday Party
Every February our CUC Class has the privilege of hosting a birthday party for residents at Murphy- Harpst Children’s Center. 2022 would be our seventh year to do this. Because that facility is on lockdown through the end of this month, we cannot visit the campus. Another plan is for us to provide funds for the staff there to provide cake, ice cream, paper goods and Bingo prizes for that very popular game, the amount to be decided. An announcement about this will be made in class on Sunday.
- Margie Avery is now in assisted living at Hearthstone, 350 Market Pl., Roswell 30075. She appreciates all the cards and texts and attention from CUC members during this difficult time.
- Gale Crolius asks for prayers as she recovers from surgery
- Jeannie Ehlers as she continues with her chemo treatments
- Cheryl Hammersley on the loss of her husband, Bill
- Vince Grosse’s brother who has been diagnosed with liver cancer
- Bev Tatom’s sister and brother-in-law, Judy & Ron Fox. Judy has been hospitalized with repeated symptoms of TIA. Ron also has major health problems. Bev & Doug are visiting with them in SC. Pray also for negative Covid tests. (Update: there were Negative Covid Tests!)
- Dick Anthony with ongoing problems with multiple myeloma. Pray for him and also for Laverne Lamb as she cares for Dick.
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain and other disabilities
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Malone Dodson to continue recovery from stroke.
- Marlene and Don MacLeod – who both are having multiple health issues.
- Mary Kay Mills as she continues treatment and physical therapy, gaining back her strength
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at The Georgian Lakeside
- Edna Smith at the Mansions, Alpharetta
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts who has cancer. She greatly appreciates our prayers.
Pray also for our Caregivers of those who are ailing!
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- (Mr.)Pat Cooney – February 15
- Tom Erdman – February 18
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
From Jacob Crane:
RUMC Weekly Take Home and Frozen Meals continue every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM. You can pick up meals at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. All meals are just $5.00. Here are the menus for February 15th and February 17th:
- Tuesday: Crunchy Beef Tacos, Mexican Rice, Charro Beans.
- Thursday: Ham and Potato Au Gratin, Green Bean Casserole, Yeast Roll.
Current Selection of $5 Frozen Meals is:
- BBQ Pork Loin w/ Rice Pilaf,
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta,
- Stir-Fried Vegetable Lo-Mein,
- BBQ Pork and Mac Combo,
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Jambalaya,
- Sweet and Sour Pork, Meatballs w/ Asian Rice,
- Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10) Hot and Sour Ginger Cabbage Soup, and Brunswick Stew
We are looking forward to another Wednesday Night Supper next Wednesday, February 16, in the Fellowship Hall! Dinner is 4:30 PM -6:45. This week’s menu is
- Chicken Piccata,
- Lemon Basil Linguine,
- Roasted Garlic Butter Broccoli,
- Garlic Bread,
- Featured Salad Bar, Tomato Bisque, Italian Cream Cake, Assorted Cookies.
We encourage you to dine in and enjoy the fellowship, but we understand that many of you feel more comfortable taking food home, so take out containers will be set up and available.
Volunteers Are Needed
The Sunday Morning Volunteer Team is looking for Welcome and Door Hosts for Sanctuary services. The schedule is done weekly with those available to serve that week . Joann Hobbs jhobbs @rumc.com.
Homestretch Peachtree Tea
HomeStretch is hosting the Fourteenth Annual Peachtree Tea on February 22, at 11:00 AM in the Grand Ballroom of the Country Club of the South in Johns Creek. Guests participate in a silent auction of items from the best retailers and service providers in the metro area. In addition to the silent auction, guests will be treated to a champagne reception followed by a luncheon with a special guest speaker, and of course, a selection of freshly brewed teas.
Proceeds will help HomeStretch provide safe, affordable, quality housing and life changing services for working, homeless parents and their children.
CUC always has at least one table of guests for this event and usually a carpool drives from the church. You can register on line. See Lynn Adcock for more information and to be sure you have a ride if you need one and a seat at the CUC table.
Life With Father
Acting Up is putting on a new show! Life with Father! These shows are really great. Not to be missed! Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday, February 16th. For Saturday March 26, 5:30 pm Dinner and Show, and Sunday, March 27 12:30 pm Brunch and Show:
Tables are available for either 6 or 8. If you would like to choose your table: Table of 6: $180 (includes a tax-deductable donation to ActingUP for $60) table of 8: $240 (includes a tax-deductable donation to ActingUP for $80). If you would like General Admission at tables selected for you by ActingUP, seats are $20 apiece.
Serving Side by Side
Serving Side by Side weekend is coming up March 18-20 so save the date. RUMC will be working with other mission partners to support mission partners worldwide including Rise Against Hunger to package 15,000 meals.
Support for Our CUC Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses.
Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile.
Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- February 16 – TOUR OF RUMC CAMPUS– 4:00 pm
- Feb 22 – Homestretch Peachtree Tea
- March 17- CUC St. Patrick’s Day Party
- March 18-20 – Serving Side by Side
- March 26, 5:30 and March 27,12:30 – Acting Up, Life with Father
- April 24, 3:00 – Organ recital
- October 18-20 – CUC Retreat