I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7 NIV
Sunday, October 3, 2021
Stories Jesus Told
Jim McCormick has our CUC lessons the next four weeks. We welcome him back. He is one of our favorite teachers! For Sunday, he will begin a four part series on “Stories Jesus Told”. This week: “The Good Shepherd”, based upon Luke 15:1-7.
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, September 26
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but we still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home
If you are attending by Zoom be sure that you register your attendance at www.rumc.com/connect-card to register
We welcome back to our CUC membership, Jackie Hubbard
CUC Small Group Get-togethers
Please email Kris Taylor with the following information if you have not yet signed up and want to participate: Do you want to participate? Would you like to host? If hosting, would you also like to be a guest attendee at another home? Are you vaccinated?
Sign-ups will be taken through October 8th. Newcomers or Old Timers, if you have questions please contact Kris by phone or email. Cheers!
CUC Fall Retreat Update
Plans are finalized for our retreat at The Ridges for October 10, 11 and 12 with Mark and Debbie Goodwin as leaders. We have had a few recent cancellations so there are rooms available for any late comers who decide to join our group. We have reserved a large conference room which will allow for some social distancing–we will not be packed in like sardines. Call, text or email Gene Osborne to get signed up.
CUC Christmas Party
90 people have signed up for the Christmas Party! It should be a great party! Please plan to pay before November 4. Checks, made out to CUC, can be sent to Mike Story.
- Dick Anthony – Recovering at the home of Laverne Lamb with full-time caregivers
- Margie Avery – who has been hospitalized and has had further surgery. Pray for good recovery and relief of pain
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain
- Malone Dodson is at Salude Rehab Center. Please pray for his continued recovery. Please send cards to help him feel support from family and friends.
- Marlene and Don MacLeod – who both are having multiple health issues
- Judy Zierk and family on the loss of Dal
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Mary Kay Mills as she continues treatment and physical therapy and gains back her strength
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at Merrill Gardens, Rt 92 in Woodstock
- Edna Smith at the Mansions, Alpharetta
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts She greatly appreciates our continued prayers, because she knows they are working!
- Pray also for our Caregivers of those who are ailing!
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Bob Hamilton wants to pass along his “utter thanks for all the prayers in my behalf. You’re all just fantastic. My hernia procedure went well. So everything looks up. Thank you all”
- Congratulations to Bob Moore on completing his training to become a Stephen minister
- Carey Floyd – Oct 4
- Barbara Zellner – Oct 4
- Debbie Goodwin – Oct 7
- Stan Thomason – Oct 7
- Dave Taylor– Oct 8
- -=None this week=-
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call or a text or visit this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Single Women’s Group
Pat Ball is starting a group of single CUC women. There are at least 22 single women in CUC who face similar challenges and will enjoy the fellowship of this group.
The Color of Compromise
“The Color of Compromise” book, video, and discussion study will be held Wednesdays at 4:00, Oct 6 – Nov 17 in the Dining Room. An historical survey of racism in America and the American church. For more information contact Nancy Wistrand.
From Jacob Crane
Come to Wednesday Night Supper for great fellowship! Support our Serve staff and enjoy their wonderful cooking!
Our Wednesday Supper in Fellowship Hall is open for Service from 4:30 to 6:45 pm with the option to order ahead for pick up if you are not comfortable dining in. This week’s menu is:
Chicken Parmesan, Spaghetti Marinara, Italian Vegetable Medley, Garlic Bread, Featured Salad Bar, Vegetable Minestrone, Chocolate Chip Cake and Cookies. (Only $8 for adults).
Come enjoy a great meal in the Fellowship Hall, or contact Jacob in advance to order “to Go”.
The RUMC Hospitality team continues to offer meals for pick-up every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM. at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. Here are the menus for October 5th and October 7th:
- Tuesday: Chicken Verde Enchiladas, Black Beans and Mexican Rice
- Thursday: Shepherd’s Pie, Glazed Carrots and Green Beans, Yeast Roll.
Current Selection of $5 Frozen Meals..
(First Come First Serve! Check back later in the week for more options!)
- Honey Fried Chicken w/ Sour Cream Potatoes
- Beef Chili w/ Rice
- Beef Stroganoff
- Caribbean Pork Loin w/ Rice Pilaf
- Mac and Cheese
- Pulled Pork w/ Mac and Cheese
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Tomato Bisque
- Corn Chowder
- Chicken and Rice Soup
Support the RUMC Foundation!
PAR-TEE NIGHT OUT GET YOUR TICKETS today! for next Friday, October 8, 2021 at a Private Residence in Roswell, GA. It’s The First Annual Par-Tee Night Out! Play golf? Don’t play? Either way, do you enjoy a good party? Get your preppiest attire and join us for fine food, drinks, and some spacious socializing! Held annually in an astonishing home, the hospitality is like no other. There are several CUC couples who are planning to attend.
EAGLE HUNTERS AUCTION
The Auction kicked off on October 1st and will be adding great items and experiences every day until the day of the Golf Tournament. The virtual auction will close on 10/11/21 at 6pm.
MALONE DODSON GOLF TOURNAMENT
If you aren’t attending the CUC Retreat consider attending or volunteering at Woodmont Golf Club, Canton, GA Monday, October 11. It’s the 24th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament! This event has been the highlight of the year since 1991! Honoring our former pastor, Dr. Malone Dodson, and appreciating our current pastor, Dr. Tom Davis, the day is filled with lots of golf, food, fun, and games.
Go to rumcf.org/event to learn more about these 3 events
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile
Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a
portion of your receipts at Publix.
CUC President’s Message
SCRIPTURE: John 13: 34 (NIV) “A new command I give you. Love one another. As I (Jesus) have loved you, so you must love one another.”
As I was reading The Most Significant Teachings of the Bible, this quote leaped out at me, as it seems the very embodiment of the CUC class: “Love watches vigilantly, then responds quickly and decisively. Thus, when we become aware of …. needs or problems, we act immediately.” If that doesn’t sum up CUC, I don’t know what does!
- October 8 – RUMC Foundation Par-Tee Night Out
- Oct 11 – Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- Oct 23 – MOS Concert
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party