Sunday, September 26, 2021
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
We are extremely pleased to have our previous RUMC minister Harvey West as our speaker on 9-26. His topic is “The Way”. The primary scripture that he will refer to is John 14: 5-7.
Note: Remember we are now beginning our CUC class promptly at 9:45
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, September 19
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but we still have Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home!
RUMC Name tags
Please sign the list at the “Membership” table in the back of the room or contact Gale Davis if you need a MAGNETIC NAME TAG.
CUC Small Group Get-togethers
It is time for our CUC Fall Small Group Get-Togethers! We started sign-ups this week by email and then will pass the clipboard on September 26th. The fastest and most reliable way to sign up is to email Kris Taylor with the following information:
- Do you want to participate? Yes/No
- Would you like to host? Yes/No
- If hosting, would you also like to be a guest attendee at another home? Yes/No
- Are you vaccinated? Yes/No
Sign-ups will be taken through October 8th. Newcomers or Old Timers, if you have questions please contact Kris by phone or email. Cheers!
CUC Fall Retreat Update
Plans are finalized for our retreat at The Ridges for October 10, 11 and 12 with Mark and Debbie Goodwin as leaders. We have had a few recent cancellations so there are rooms available for any late comers who decide to join our group. We have reserved a large conference room which will allow for some social distancing–we will not be packed in like sardines. Call, text or email Gene Osborne to get signed up.
CUC Christmas Party
90 people have signed up for the Christmas Party! It should be a great party! Please plan to pay before November 4. Checks, made out to CUC, can be sent to Mike Story.
- Dick Anthony – Recovering at the home of Laverne Lamb with full-time caregivers
- Margie Avery – who has been hospitalized and has had further surgery. Pray for good recovery and relief of pain
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain
- Malone Dodson – Please pray for his continued recovery.
- Marlene MacLeod – For relief of continuing pain and healing of multiple fractured ribs
- Don McNew and family on the loss of his brother-in law, Keith Kerns in WV
- Bob Morisey’s daughter Sandy who had surgery for removal of cancer
- Gloria Stadler on the loss of her brother
- Dal Zierk diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and beginning his first round of chemo
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Mary Kay Mills as she continues treatment and Physical Therapy and gains back her strength
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at Merrill Gardens, Rt 92 in Woodstock
- Edna Smith at the Mansions, Alpharetta
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts She greatly appreciates our continued prayers, because she knows they are working!
- Pray also for our Caregivers of those who are ailing!
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- From Charlotte Dodson -We are thankful for your prayers and cards. I was finally able to see Malone this week, and he had opened all the cards. I went through them and reread them to him, talking about each sender. It was a special time. He has improved in his walking with minimal assistance, propelling himself in the wheelchair, and speaking. His swallowing is still a challenge, and they want to keep him at Salude for more therapy. We don’t have a discharge date at this time, but he really wants to come home soon
- From Bettie Goss and Family –Thoughtful and caring CUC friends, we are sending a warm heartfelt thank you for attending John’s service, flowers, the multiple offers to help, cards, calls and prayers of comfort for our sad, sad moments.
- From Rose Lappe – My oncologist said the bone biopsy showed no sign of cancer in that area and I could proceed with the hip replacement if I choose to. Surprisingly the hip pain has lessened so I’m not going to have a hip replacement just yet. Most importantly I want to say a huge THANK YOU to our CUC class for their PRAYERS and get well cards. Believe me. There IS POWER IN PRAYER.
- Mary Kay Mills – Sep 28
- Stella Boayue – Oct 2
- Wanda Taylor – Oct 2
Neighborhood Care Groups
Don’t forget to make a call this week to someone in your CUC Neighborhood Care Group!
Single Women’s Group
Pat Ball is starting a group of single CUC women. There are at least 22 single women in CUC who face similar challenges and will enjoy the fellowship of this group.
The Color of Compromise
The Color of Compromise book, video, and discussion study will be held Wednesdays at 4:00, Oct 6 – Nov 17 in the Dining Room. An historical survey of racism in America and the American church. For more information contact Nancy Wistrand 678-361-5955.
From Jacob Crane
Support our Serve staff and enjoy their wonderful cooking! Our Wednesday Supper in Fellowship Hall is open for Service on Wednesday evenings starting at 4:30 and serving until 6:45 pm with the option to order ahead for pick up if you are not comfortable dining in. We had a great night this week for our Wednesday Night Supper, Serving @ 110 Meals! Overall this week we have Served over 330 Hot meals and over 130 Frozen Meals!
Dinner each week includes a full hot meal, featured salad bar, soup of the day, desserts, beverages, and plenty of FELLOWSHIP! Come enjoy a great meal in the Fellowship Hall, or contact Jacob in advance to order “to Go”. This week we will be Serving BBQ Pulled Pork, Mac and Cheese, Baked Beans, Sliced Yeast Rolls, Corn Chowder, Featured Salad Bar, and Banana Pudding
The RUMC Hospitality team will also continue to offer meals for pick-up every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM. at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. All meals are just $5.00
Take Home Menu – September 28th and 30th
- Tuesday: Beef Chili w/ Rice Pilaf, Corn off the Cob, Cheddar Corn Bread
- Thursday: Honey Pan Fried Chicken, Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Carrots, Buttered Yeast Roll.
Frozen Meals $5…First Come First Serve! Check back later in the week for more options!
- Mac and Cheese
- Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Bourguignon w/ Rice Pilaf
- Caribbean Pork Loin w/ Rice Pilaf
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Tomato Bisque
Support the RUMC Foundation!
PAR-TEE NIGHT OUT GET YOUR TICKETS!
For Friday, October 8, 2021 at a Private Residence in Roswell, GA. It’s The First Annual Par-Tee Night Out! Play golf? Don’t play? Either way, do you enjoy a good party? Get your preppiest attire and join us for fine food, drinks, and some spacious socializing! Held annually in an astonishing home, the hospitality is like no other.
EAGLE HUNTERS AUCTION
The Auction kicks off on October 1st and will be adding great items and experiences every day until the day of the Golf Tournament. The virtual auction will close on 10/11/21 at 6pm. ITEMS NEEDED: Got a vacation rental? Donate 3-7 days. Got art, wine, or other auction-able item? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-277-8365
MALONE DODSON GOLF TOURNAMENT
If you aren’t attending the CUC Retreat consider attending or volunteering at Woodmont Golf Club, Canton, GA Monday, October 11. It’s the 24th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament! This event has been the highlight of the year since 1991! Honoring our former pastor, Dr. Malone Dodson, and appreciating our current pastor, Dr. Tom Davis, the day is filled with lots of golf, food, fun, and games.
Go to RUMC.org/event to learn more about these 3 events or to donate to the auction
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using AmazonSmile. $126 has been earned for MH already through Amazon Smile.
Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
CUC President’s Message
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16 KJV)
In his bestseller What’s So Amazing About Grace? author Philip Yancey tells a story about a group of religious scholars who were debating the primary difference between Christianity and the other significant religions of the world. When C. S. Lewis wandered into the room and realized what the discussion was about he reportedly said, “Oh that’s easy. It’s grace.”
The Most Significant Teachings of the Bible, p.22.
- October 8 – RUMC Foundation Par-Tee Night Out
- Oct 11 – Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- Oct 23 – MOS Concert
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party