Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Sunday, August 29, 2021
A Glimpse at the Gospel of John
Mark Kramer will be the CUC speaker this week. He is a long-time member of the Berean Class and a Stephen Minister. His title will be “A Glimpse at the Gospel of John (and the Good News for All)” His scripture references will be John: 20:30-31, 3:16, 6:28-29, 6:40, 10:10, 15:11, 16:33.
Note: Remember we are now beginning our CUC class promptly at 9:45 rather than 10:00 and end at 10:45 in order to give us more time to get to the 11:15 church worship in the sanctuary.
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, August 22
Members 60 Visitors 1 Speakers 2 Zoom 15 Total 78
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but thank goodness for Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home!
Attendance Register for CUC Class
We are now signing an attendance sheet passed in class. If you are attending by Zoom be sure that you register your attendance to show participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register
Thank you, CUC Class, for your generous donation made to Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center last Sunday. Pam Kramer and Chanel Strange presented pertinent information about this residential treatment facility. We learned its history, its affiliation with the Methodist denomination, its services for young people living there, its plans for the future.
One pressing need is a fire escape stairway for the third floor of the oldest building (1924) located on campus. A fire escape stairway is required by the fire marshall in order for that third floor to be used. The special collection last Sunday in CUC for Murphy-Harpst netted $589. A check for $600 has been sent to the Murphy-Harpst Children’s Home in Cedartown with Project Fire Escape Stairway written on the notation line to be used for this special fire escape project.
Charlie Mason reports that so far this fiscal year (September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021) CUC has contributed a total of $5,775 to Murphy-Harpst. Thanks again!
From Sandy Martin
HOW HAPPINESS HAPPENS: ENCOURAGEMENT
Intentional encouragement has a “Michelangelo impact” on people. The sculptor saw the figure of David within the marble and carved it out. The encourager does the same. He sees your best self and he calls it out, not with a chisel, but with words of affirmation. This is how happiness happens.
Max Lucado: “How Happiness Happens”
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner
We had 30 diners at the Peach & the Porkchop in the finale CUC dinner for the summer. We enjoyed dining at 13 different restaurants this summer. Thanks to Larry and Ann Douglas who have coordinated the 2021 summer CUC dinners out.
Family Promise Responses
Thanks to CUC members who responded to Family Promise needs this past week. Meals were provided and there was a donation from the CUC treasury.
- Dick Anthony – still at Northside Hospital, Cherokee being treated for multiple blood clots
- Margie Avery – expecting discharge from Northside Hospital, Sandy Springs and making plans for continuing transportation for daily treatment and round-the-clock care. Needing prayer and appreciating phone calls
- Sister Backus– for relief of increased back pain
- Marlene MacLeod – For relief of pain and healing of fractured ribs
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at the Mansions
- Edna Smith at the Mansions. Visitors, with call ahead, are appreciated.
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts being treated for pancreatic cancer.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Sharon Erdman – Aug 31
- Ann Douglas – Sept 1
- LaVerne Lamb – Sept 3
- Jeannie and Jim Ehlers – Sept 2, 1967 -Virginia Beach, VA – 54 years!
- Lynda and Bob Leckie – Sept 2, 1962 – Blackshear, GA- 59 years!
- Gloria and Jack Stadler – Sept 4, 1954 -Gibsonville , NC – 67 years!!
From Jacob Crane
I hope you have all had a wonderful past week! We had a great week of Service here at RUMC, serving 226 Hot Meals and 140 Frozen Meals to this community! We have one more week before we start back our Wednesday Night Supper in the Fellowship Hall. Please continue to spread the message that we are here to Serve!
RUMC Weekly Take Home Menu -August 31 and September 2
- Tuesday: Spaghetti and Meatballs w/ Basil Marinara, Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread.
- Thursday: Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Loin, Herbed Rice Pilaf, Carrot Souffle, Yeast Roll.
Our Current Selection of Frozen Meals…First Come First Serve!
Frozen Meals $5
- Sliced Turkey and Cranberry w/ Herbed Stuffing and Gravy
- Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Mac and Cheese
- Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Corned Beef and Potato Hash
- Country Fried Steak w/ Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Beef and Barley Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone
CUC Christmas Party – planning ahead!
MariAnna Brown reports that we will be beginning our sign up for the CUC Christmas Party which is planned to be held December 7, 2021 at 6:00 pm at the Metropolitan Club, 5895 Windward Parkway, Alpharetta. The cost will be $45 per person if we have 60-79 guests. Payment must be received by November 7. Checks should be made payable to CUC and put Christmas Party on the memo line. If you signed up in the spring, please confirm that you still plan to attend.
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- September 8th – RUMC WNO dinners restart
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- October 11 – Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party