1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
Sunday, August 22, 2021
Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center
We are pleased to welcome Pamela Kramer and Chanel Strange as our speakers this Sunday. These two members of the staff at Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center will present its history and mission, COVID challenges and program updates, success with support, and future opportunities. For several years Pam has made suggestions about Christmas gifts for residents and greeted us at the birthday party we host every February. Sunday will be our opportunity to meet Chanel.
Note: Remember we are beginning our CUC class promptly at 9:45 rather than 10:00 and end at 10:45 in order to give us more time to get to the 11:15 church worship in the sanctuary.
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, August 15:
Members 64 Teacher 1 Visitors 4 Zoom 21 Total 90
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom. It is good to be together again face to face, but thank goodness for Zoom for those of CUC who prefer to stay at home!
Attendance Register for CUC Class
We are now signing an attendance sheet passed in class. If you are attending by Zoom be sure that you register your attendance to show participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner
CUC will dine this week at Peach & the Porkchop, 12040 Etris Rd., Roswell at 5:30pm on August 25. We enjoyed the company of 21 CUCers at the Olde Blind Dog Irish Pub this past week. The Summer Dinner Out Signup sheet will be passed at Sunday School. If you don’t sign up and can attend or you sign up and can’t attend, please notify Larry Douglas by noon Tuesday.
The Proper Posture of Prayer
“The proper way for a man to pray,”
Said Deacon Lemuel Keys,
“The only proper attitude
is down upon his knees.”
“No, I should say, the way to pray,”
Said Reverend Doctor Wise,
“Is standing straight with outstretched arms
And rapturous upturned eyes.”
“It seems to me his hands should be
Devoutly clasped in front,
With both thumbs pointing t’ward the ground,”
Said Reverend Doctor Blunt.
“Last year I fell in Bartlett’s well
Head first,” said Cyrus Brown.
“With both my heels asticking up,
My head a’pointing down.
And I made a prayer right then and there,
Best prayer I ever said—
The prayerest prayer I ever prayed
Was standing on my head.”
God listens no matter how, where or when we pray!
- Dick Anthony – was admitted to Northside Hospital, Cherokee Wednesday with blood clots in his leg
- Margie Avery at Northside Hospital, Sandy Springs being treated for post op complications related to infection.
- Sister Backus – for relief of increased back pain
- Susan Emmons – for her high blood pressure to get under control
- Marlene MacLeod – For relief of pain and healing of fractured ribs
- Diane Stephens – She says,“Thank you everyone for your prayers, calls and cards!
- I got my final test result from surgery and Chemo will not be needed. Will be starting radiation around Labor Day.”
- Bev Tatom on her diagnosis of macular degeneration
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Earnie Robertson at Vickory Rose
- Betty Smith at the Mansions
- Edna Smith at the Mansions. Visitors, with call ahead, are appreciated.
- Stan Thomason – He enjoys hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse thank you for your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts being treated for pancreatic cancer. She is doing well and appreciates your prayers.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- From Mary Kay Mills: Good news about my bone biopsy: With the help of the good Lord and all the CUC prayer warriors, there was no sign of any additional cancer cells at this time, I feel so blessed; your love & support have made all the difference.
My Christian Love to all, Mary Kay
- Fred Brown – Aug 28
- Judy & Sieg Hoogstraal – August 23, 2008-Ashville, NC – 13 years
- Martha Jane & Charlie Mason – August 24, 1968 -Atlanta, GA – 53 years!
- Garlinn & Mike Story – August 28, 1969- Portland , OR – 52 years!
From Jacob Crane
We have had an amazing week here in the RUMC Kitchen! We started the week off Serving over 300 meals on Sunday for the Back to Church and School BBQ; it was a beautiful day and everybody seemed to have a great time listening to music and enjoying fellowship!
Today we had to cancel our Alive in Roswell event due to the rain coming in, but it held off long enough for us Serve up 175 hot meals in 2 hours! Overall this week we have been able to provide over 600 Hot meals and close to 150 frozen meals to our community! What a blessing it has been to be able to provide for others. Next week’s menu is attached; we are hoping to have another great week!
RUMC Weekly Take Home Menu
August 24th and August 26th
- Tuesday: Chicken Fried Rice, Roasted Asian Vegetable Medley, Egg Roll.
- Thursday: Country Fried Steak w/ Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Stewed Peas and Corn, Buttered Biscuit.
Our Current Selection of Frozen Meals…First Come First Serve!
Frozen Meals $5
- Sliced Turkey and Cranberry w/ Herbed Stuffing and Gravy
- BBQ Trio Plate…Pork/Brisket/Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Parmesan
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Brunswick Stew
- Beef and Barley Soup
Wednesday Night Supper will resume on September 8, 2021 in the Fellowship Hall!
Be on the lookout for announcements and menus. We hope to see you all here!
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile.
Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- October 11 – Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party