The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. (Psalm 23.1)
Sunday, July 18, 2021
RUMC Commons Revitalization
Jim Gebhardt will be the CUC speaker this Sunday. Jim is the chairman of the revitalization committee. He is a member of the Berean Class. The title of his presentation is “The Commons Revitalization Project.”
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, July 11
In class: 72 + 1 teacher
Zoom: 14 ( including 1 from France!)
Total: 87 ( including 3 visitors)
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom
It is good to be together again face to face, but thank goodness for Zoom!
Attendance Register for CUC Class
This week we will begin signing an attendance sheet to be passed in class.
Be sure that you register your attendance if you are Zooming to show participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register
A vote was taken in class and it was overwhelmingly decided to cease our previous tradition of having refreshments provided by CUC members each Sunday. We will pay out of our treasury for whatever the church provides in the way of light refreshments. (This may require a little extra in the collection basket.)
By Ann Joseph
Early in 2003 I lost four important men in my life: Uncle John Joseph (my husband’s namesake, his godfather and wise old mentor); my father-in-law Frank; my maternal grandfather Joe; and, then my darling Johnny, my husband of 20 years. Later that year our beautiful dog Shilo (who was a part of our family for 12 years) succumbed to cancer.
By the time Johnny died in April, I had mastered the art of writing eulogies and planning funerals and built some pretty good connections with clergy and funeral homes. Psalm 23 was always the scripture of choice: “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil, for you are with me.” Every single day someone’s loved one is lost and Psalm 23 gets a good old workout.
In these times of uncertainty and sadness when the news of people dying and suffering around the world is a constant (especially since the outbreak of COVID-19), we are reminded that we all have in our hearts and minds some form of pain hidden deep and ever present – some people experience some form of grief every single day. We must always remember that our dear Lord restores our soul, our faith and our heart, and with his goodness and mercy he brings healing and comfort and wraps us in his loving arms as, “He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
Our Lord is always with me…remember that he is always with you, too.
It was great seeing everyone in person at CUC this past Sunday. We continue to grow in our in-person attendance with 72 including our visitors. That is the largest number since pre-COVID.
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner
We had 35 diners at Chicago’s this past Wednesday. Summer Dinner Out Signup sheet will be passed at Sunday School. If you don’t sign up and can attend or you sign up and can’t attend, please notify Larry Douglas by noon Tuesday.
- Margie Avery – As she recovers from surgery
- Betty Gay and her daughter Melissa as they move to Ohio to be near family.
- Evelyn Hatfield on the loss of her brother Mack Watkins from Cartersville
- Edna Smith as she recovers from blood clots and the effects of Parkinsons disease
- Ann McNew as she deals with heart irregularity
- Earnie Robertson as he adjusts to his new home at Vickory Rose
- Diane Stephens as she begins radiation for breast cancer
- David Howe, former CUC president, and wife Peggy. Dave has been at MDAnderson in Houston for 9 weeks, continuing fight against prostate cancer he has had since 2016. Peggy writes: We are both pleased to know he will be on the CUC prayer list as we know what wonderful prayer warriors are in that class.
- Cheri Jorgenson, a volunteer at Job Networking Garage Sale now having chemo for a tumor in her stomach.
- Dick Anthony – as he continues to deal with health problems
- Sister Backus – with continuing back problems and Parkinson’s Disease
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Mary Kay Mills – as she continues to recover from her bout with leukemia
- Stan Thomason – He appreciates hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse appreciate your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts.
John Lemke’s memorial service will be held this coming Tuesday, July 20, at 10 a.m. in the RUMC Chapel. Burial will be held in Ohio at a later date.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- PD May – Jul 18
- Edna Smith – Jul 20
- Kathy Carpenter – Jul 22
- Linda Cantrell – Jul 22
- Bettie Goss – Jul 23
- Shirley and PD May – July 19,1958 – Atlanta GA- 63 years!!
From Jacob Crane
The RUMC Hospitality team will be back in the kitchen this week preparing convenient, delicious, affordable meals, and we plan to continue these meals every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM all throughout July and August. See details in RUMC weekly email
Here is the menu for July 20th and July 22nd:
- Tuesday: Sliced Roast Beef w/ Mushroom Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Corn, Buttered Yeast Roll.
- Thursday: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Seasoned Rice, Fried Okra, Hush Puppies.
Our Current Selection of Frozen Meals…First Come First Serve!
Frozen Meals $5
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Chicken Cacciatore w/ Rice Pilaf
- Shepherd’s Pie
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Brunswick Stew
( Say “Hi” to the CUC Car-Hops as you pick up your meals!)
MUST Summer Lunch/Summer Grocery Program
See needs in RUMC weekly email.
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- August 14 – 2021 HomeStretch Road Race
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- October 11 – Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party