Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Psalm 105:1
Sunday, July 11, 2021
A Brief History of Religion in America
We are pleased to have Dean Tucker to be our speaker on 7-11.
His topic will be a “A Brief History of Religion in America.”
Dean and family have been members of RUMC for 37 years in the BYKOTA class.
He has an extensive professional resume including being a professor at Oglethorpe.
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, July 4
In class:49 (including 8 visitors)
We continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom
Be sure that you register your attendance – either Zooming or on-site participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register
An American Flag for CUC
On July 4th Independence Day Steve Covert gave CUC our own beautiful American Flag. We thank Steve for his generosity and appreciate his patriotism.
A vote was taken in class and it was overwhelmingly decided to cease our previous tradition of having refreshments provided by CUC members each Sunday. We will pay out of our treasury for whatever the church provides in the way of light refreshments. (This may require a little extra in the collection basket.)
Pray for Our Nation
By Debbie McDaniel
“Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet.” – Isaiah 58:1
Sometimes it’s hard to know where to begin or how to pray. We just know we have a deep ache in our hearts that cries out for God’s mercy, and a longing to see him heal our land. And maybe other times we wonder how effective our prayers even are. Yet God is faithful, no matter how we feel, and over all that swirls around us in our nation today .He hears our prayers, He knows our needs. There’s great power in uniting together, turning our hearts towards God, and praying on behalf of our nation. Remember this powerful truth upon which this nation was founded. We are “One Nation Under God.” He is where our real hope is found, not in our leaders, not in our economy, not in the condition of our nation today, or any other day.
Dean Tucker will be our guest speaker this Sunday. Dean is married to Sara (Sally), they have two children Annie and Jonathan, and two granddaughters, Lydia Rose (11), and Adeline Elizabeth (8). Dean and Sally have been members of RUMC for 37 years and are members of the BYKOTA SS class.
Please add Dean and Sally to your prayer list. Sally fell on her face on the tennis court and suffered severe injuries to her mouth, teeth and face. She has had two oral surgeries and still has at least one more to go. So please pray for Sally, the doctors, and Dean as he travels back and forth between Roswell and Emory University Hospital.
I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th of July weekend. I look forward to seeing you in class this Sunday.
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner
WNO for July 14 will be at Chicago’s Restaurant, 4401 Shallowford Rd., Roswell at 5:30pm. Summer Signup sheet will be passed at Sunday school. If you don’t sign up and can attend or you sign up and can’t attend, please notify Larry Douglas: by noon Tuesday.
MUST Summer Lunch/Summer Grocery Program
The Summer lunch program begins again this Monday. See the RUMC Friday Blast for information.
- Edna Smith as she recovers from blood clots and the effects of Parkinson’s disease at Salude Rehab in Suwanee
- Ron Peterson as he has further tests to determine cause of passing out last week
- Ann McNew as she deals with heart irregularity
- Diane Stephens as she begins radiation for breast cancer
- Cheri Jorgenson, a volunteer at Job Networking Garage Sale now having chemo for a tumor in her stomach.
- Dick Anthony– as he continues to deal with health problems
- Margie Avery – Continuing recovery from chemo and radiation and facing surgery.
- Sister Backus – with continuing back problems and Parkinson’s Disease
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Mary Kay Mills– as she continues to recover from her bout with leukemia
- Stan Thomason – He appreciates hearing from CUC friends
- Vince and Donna Grosse appreciate your continued prayers for their friend Susan Ouzts .
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
Don’s Gay’s service at the National Cemetery will be July 13, 2021, 2:30 will be only for family few friends with no more than 20 people. There will be an open house this Sunday July 11, 2-4pm at the Gay’s home. The family asked that visitors wear masks.They will have some at the home if needed. They look forward to meeting their friends.
- Craig Simons – July 11
- Jack Stadler – July 15
- Malone Dodson – July 15
- Donna and Vince Grosse – July 11, 1965-Scottsboro, AL-56 years!
- Lenna and John Sharp– July 11, 1964- Mayoden, NC-57 years!
- Betty and Larry Hunt – July 13, 1963-Opelika, AL-58 years!
From Jacob Crane
We will resume our Hot Lunches on Tuesday July 13th.
Support for Our Missions:
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with Murphy Harpst school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- August 14 – 2021 HomeStretch Road Race
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- October 11 – Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party