“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. John 17: 20
Sunday, May 2, 2021
That They May All Be One
Rev. Michael Cromwell will be our CUC speaker this Sunday. His lesson is titled: “That They May All Be One” and will focus on John 17 (especially verses 20-24).
CUC Sunday School Class
CUC attendance Sunday, April 18
Thank goodness for Zoom!
This Sunday we will continue to have class both in the classroom and on Zoom.
If you don’t receive the newsletter any week, if you have jotted down this meeting ID number, then you may just click on join meeting in Zoom and type in that number to join the meeting. If the meeting does not start for you by 9:30 am on Sundays, PLEASE check your emails for a new (alternate) link to the Sunday School meeting.
Online Attendance Register for SS Classes
Be sure that you register your attendance – either Zooming or on-site participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register within Ministry Platform, select the event that you are attending to register. When you choose the time that the class normally meets, the system will then automatically connect your attendance to the CUC class.
A Message from CUC President
What Does it Mean to be Born Again?
…..Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” John 3:3
There is a great deal of misinformation regarding the meaning of the term “born again.” Such ignorance and confusion could have disastrous ramifications if those who think they are born again really aren’t. In a conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus used this term to explain how one enters the kingdom of heaven. Nicodemus thought the Lord was referring to a subsequent physical birth and couldn’t fathom how this was possible, but Jesus was speaking in spiritual terms. The original Greek phrase literally means “born from above,” signifying that this new birth originates with God, not with man. It also involves being born of water and the Spirit. To enter the kingdom of heaven, we must be cleansed from our sins and regenerated by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).
When you are born again through faith in Jesus Christ, there is a radical change within you. Your spirit, which was once dead to God, is made alive by the Holy Spirit, who now indwells you. He enables you to understand His spiritual truths and live in obedience to His Word. What begins as an invisible renewal will soon become increasingly visible in a righteous lifestyle.
Taken from Daily Devotions, In Touch Ministries. InTouch.org
I am writing this on Tuesday, as MariAnna and I plan to leave on Thursday to visit family and friends in Mississippi and help celebrate Baby Jack’s second birthday. Because of COVID last year he was not able to truly enjoy his 1st birthday. I leave you in in the capable hands of your VP, Sandy Martin. Please continue to support Sandy, CUC and RUMC by attending in person. MariAnna and I have been attending Chapel Roswell after CUC, and Marion Brown announced this past Sunday that all of our ministers will be returning for another year! Praise the Lord!
God willing, we will see you on Mother’s Day, the 9th of May.
Update from the Fellowship Committee:
Join us for a Spring Fling to reconnect after such a long absence from one another. This event will take the place of our usual Patriotic Party. Details include:
- When: Wednesday, May 19th at 6:00pm
- Where: On the outside patio of The Peach and the Pork Chop.
- Cost: Order off the menu – there will be a set 20% gratuity added to each of our bills.
R.S.V.P : email Mike Story at email@example.com with the name of the attendees no later than May 14th .
Other info: we are not planning a “rain” date – we will have the option to move indoors if the weather is inclement.
CUC Fall Retreat
Contact Gene Osborn to be added to the list if you plan to attend the CUC Retreat October 10-12. If you haven’t done so, please make your hotel reservations directly with The Ridges at 888-834-4409. Check-in date is Sunday, October 10, 2021. Mention code “CUC2021”. And don’t forget to send a check payable to CUC to Charlie Mason for incidentals–$60 per person/$120 per couple. We are still hoping to get a few more attendees as the virus restrictions are being lifted and more folks become vaccinated.
Support for Our Missions: Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with M-H’s school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
From Jacob Crane
We had another great week here at the RUMC kitchen! Sales were down a little this week, but we were still able to Serve over 425 total meals to our community! We have another great menu planned next week with two customer favorites and a special meal for Cinco de Mayo on Wednesday. Please help us to keep spreading the word about our wonderful meal program here at RUMC. Please contact Jacob via email if you have any issues with ordering, questions about menu items, or if you would like to reserve a certain frozen meal to pay by cash or check at pick up.
RUMC Weekly Take Home Menu
Week of May 4th – May 6th
- Tuesday – BBQ Pulled Pork, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, Yeast Rolls.
- Wednesday – Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers, Tortilla Chips, Fresh Guacamole.
- Thursday – Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Carrots, Honey Butter Biscuit.
Our Current Selection of Frozen Meals $5…First Come First Serve!
- Chicken Cacciatore w/ Rice Pilaf
- Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage Jambalaya
- Cincinnati Beef Chili w/ Spaghetti
- Shrimp Pasta Primavera
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Brunswick Stew
- Black Bean Soup
RUMC Friday Evening Gatherings on the Commons
Starting on May 14th RUMC will be gathering on the 2nd Friday of each month – May thru October for Food, Fun, and a variety of entertainment. We want to create a time and place for the church community and the neighborhood around the church to meet, relax, smile and share the commons. Bring your own chair and/or lawn blanket. Jacob will supply the food, we will have live music, lawn games, space to run around, and some special guests to entertain. 5:30 – 8pm. Come and sit together as a Sunday school class!!!!
- Margie Avery – for recovery of her strength following chemo and radiation treatments
- Jeannie Ehlers as she awaits results of CAT scan
- John Goss remains in the Emory/St. Josephs as they continue tests and try to determine treatment. Betty and son John have been allowed in to visit.
- Marlene MacLeod for good recovery from her back injury following a fall
- Hugh and Sue Gardner’s neighbor Doug Reed has had a setback and is back in ICU at a hospital in Douglasville. He is on a respirator and has pneumonia and a UTI. We ask for prayers for him and his wife Chris.
- Bev Tatom’s brother-in-law Ron Fox and sister Judy still need our prayers concerning his vision issues. Ron has had the scans and now they are waiting for the results.
- Dick Anthony – as he continues to deal with health problems.
- Sister Backus – with continuing back problems and Parkinson’s Disease
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Betty and Don Gay – Don is on palliative care at home with daily help of caregiver
- Betty Smith as she continues recovery from a stroke
- Edna Smith as she deals with increasing problems with Parkinson’s Disease.
- Vince Grosse’s sister Deidre Morrison finished with chemo as she deals with heart issues.
- Grosse’s friend Susan Ouzts continuing radiation therapy, then will have surgery at the Mayo Clinic for pancreatic cancer. They appreciate your continued prayers.
- Stan Thomason – He appreciates phone calls as he does not use a computer and is alone in an elder care facility.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made, especially at this difficult time with the Corona virus! Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Bob Hamilton – May 7
- Wednesday, May 19 — 6:00pm CUC Spring Fling
- October 10,11,12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party