And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28.
Sunday, April 18, 2021
Coping With Change
We are excited that Jim McCormick will be our speaker Sunday. He plans to be live.
His topic will be “Coping With Change” using the scriptures Malachi 3:6. and Romans 8:28.
CUC Sunday School Class on Zoom
Thank goodness for Zoom! This Sunday will be the 51st Sunday we have met on Zoom.
CUC attendance Sunday, April 11
In Classroom 38 , on Zoom 48 , Total = 86
If the meeting does not start for you by 9:30 am on Sundays, PLEASE check your emails for a new (alternate) link to the Sunday School meeting.
Online Attendance Register for SS Classes
Be sure that you register your attendance – either Zooming or on-site participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Go online to: http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register within Ministry Platform, select the event that you are attending to register. When you choose the time that the class normally meets, the system will then automatically connect your attendance to the CUC class.
A Message from CUC President
“They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost.” (Luke 24.37)
The disciples, with plenty of witnesses, believed that Jesus was dead. No wonder there was discussion following the claims of the women, and then Simon and the two returned from Emmaus, that they had witnessed not a ghost but Jesus in the flesh. Imagine your reaction if someone you believe dead once again stands very alive in front of you. How would you test reality?
Distinguishing truth from fiction is essential for navigating life. We measure what is definitive against what is variable, often relying on trust to reach acceptance. To believe a dead man returned to new life requires great faith, especially for those of us not present in that room. Accepting a resurrected Jesus requires faith not only in God, but trust in the witness accounts of others who know Christ. It requires us to consider the critical interpretation of scripture, tradition and history, and to be open to the work of God through and around us.I pray that our faith strengthened by our desire to know God opens our hearts and minds, so permitting us to recognize the resurrected Jesus and in doing so, to know and witness to the joy of this truth.
It was great seeing all the new faces in class this past Sunday. I hope you will join me in welcoming Jim McCormick back in person for the next two Sundays.
CUC Small Group Dinners Resume!
It’s time to celebrate fellowship, spring, and a healthier community, so the Fellowship Committee is resuming Small Group Get-Togethers, sometimes known as Dinners for Eight. We will sign up via email instead of passing the clipboard in class. Hosts may choose to limit their guest list to fewer than eight and only to those who are vaccinated. Please do what makes you most comfortable as an attendee and/or host. Here’s how it will work:
1) Sign-ups will be taken until April 22nd.
2) Send an email to Kris Taylor to sign-up. Let Kris know if you want to attend as a guest; a host; or both.
3) If you can host, indicate the number of guests you feel comfortable with.
4) Let us know if you are willing or unwilling to participate if other attendees have not been vaccinated.
CUC Fall Retreat Plans
We now have 33 folks signed up for Fall Retreat. As restrictions are eased and most have been vaccinated please consider joining us at The Ridges in Hiawassee on October 10th, 11th & 12th.
- Total room cost is just $298.96 for two nights.
- Incidentals are just $60 each or $120 per couple (Check to Charlie Mason for this).
- Reserve your room at 888-834-4409 and mention Code CUC2021 to get our special rate.
- Email, call or text Gene Osborn with questions or to let him know you plan to attend. The Scotts are working on entertainment and our leaders, The Goodwins, will surely make this a most memorable, rewarding experience.
This newsletter is not “Sue’s Newsletter” it is The CUC Newsletter! It is only as good as the information submitted to the editor each week by various members of the class. It is only as current as what the editor receives from various sources. If you have information or announcements or updates that would be of interest to CUC members please send them to the editor: Sue Waite by Thursday night.
Support for Our Missions: Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! Continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with M-H’s school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
RUMC Weekly Take Home Menu
From Jacob Crane: This week we Served 393 Hot Meals and 223 Frozen Meals for a total of over 600 total meals Served! Thanks to everybody involved; so glad that we are still able to provide this wonderful service to our community! The RUMC Hospitality team will be back in the kitchen next week preparing convenient, delicious, affordable meals, and we plan to continue these meals every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PMl.
You can register online to purchase both hot and frozen meals with your credit card. Online orders are closed on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm., but open at all other times. You should receive an email confirmation if your order has been successfully submitted.
I have recently learned that you need to click both the left side of the item you would like to purchase as well as the right side for the quantity. Drive up orders are also welcome with no pre-registration and you can pay by cash or check. Please contact me via email if you have any issues with ordering, questions about menu items, or if you would like to reserve a certain frozen meal to pay by cash or check at pick up.
Here is the menu for April 20th, 21st, and 22nd:
- Tuesday: Chicken Pot Pie, Pickled Veggie Salad, Fresh Fruit.
- Wednesday: Pineapple Glazed Ham, Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, Yeast Roll.
- Thursday: Oven Roasted BBQ Beef Brisket, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Yeast Roll.
Our Current Selection of Frozen Meals…First Come First Serve!
Frozen Meals $5
- Jamaican Beef Pot Pie
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Hungarian Chicken Stew
- Ginger Sesame Pork Meatballs w/ Fried Rice
Frozen Soups $4 (3 for $10)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Thai Chicken and Rice Soup
- Ginger Carrot Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Margie Avery – for recovery of her strength following chemo and radiation treatments
- Jeannie Ehlers as she recovers from what she hopes will be her final round of chemo
- Betty and Don Gay – Don is on palliative care at home with daily help of caregiver
- Marlene and Don MacLoed as they return to Roswell from Florida to take care of Marlene’s back injury following a fall
- Don McNew on the loss of his sister Rosa Brock last Sunday
- Edna Smith as she deals with increasing problems with Parkinson’s Disease. She appreciates the cards from CUC. She doesn’t do ZOOM so calls and cards are her connection.
- Bev Tatom’s brother-in-law Ron Fox as doctors determine reason for failing eyesight
- Dick Anthony – as he continues to deal with health problems.
- Sister Backus – with continuing back problems and Parkinson’s Disease
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Mary Kay Mills – is doing well following round of treatment
- Betty Smith as she continues recovery from a stroke
- Vince Grosse’s sister Deidre Morrison finished with chemo as she deals with heart issues.
- Grosse’s friend Susan Ouzts continuing radiation therapy, then will have surgery at the Mayo Clinic for pancreatic cancer. They appreciate your continued prayers.
- Stan Thomason – He appreciates phone calls as he does not use a computer and is alone in an elder care facility.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made, especially at this difficult time with the Corona virus! Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Margie Avery expresses appreciation for all the assistance of transportation , meals and other kindnesses as she has been undergoing chemo and radiation
- Paul Beecham – April 22
- Sister Backus – April 24
- October 10,11,12- CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party