The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1
Sunday, March 7, 2021
The Law of the Lord is Perfect
Scott Dickson will begin a Lenten study for us. On this Sunday.
His lesson will center on Psalm 19:7-8:
19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple; 19:8 The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes.
CUC Sunday School Class on Zoom
Thank goodness for Zoom! This Sunday will be the 46th Sunday we have met on Zoom.
CUC attendance on February 21st: on
in classroom: 9
If the meeting doesn’t start for you by 9:30 am on Sundays, PLEASE check your emails for a new (alternate) link to the Sunday School meeting.
Online Attendance Register for SS Classes
Be sure that you register your attendance – either Zooming or on-site participation online using your personal cell phone or tablet. Class members will initially go online to:
http://www.rumc.com/connect-card to register within Ministry Platform. After that, each time you sign-on you will just need to select the event that you are attending to register. When you choose the time that your class normally meets, the system will then automatically connect your attendance to the CUC class.
CUC 2021 Retreat Update
The CUC Fall Retreat is planned for October 10 to 12, 2021-Sunday to Tuesday at The Ridges Resort on Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee [Directions]. The cost per couple is $420. The cost per single is $360. Our retreat leaders will be Debbie and Mark Goodwin. Please consider joining us. Text, email or call Gene Osborn
CUC Christmas Party Plans
We are making great progress on sign-ups for our annual CUC XMAS party. As a reminder, it is December 7th, at the Metropolitan Club, and includes a great dinner, some entertainment, and dancing. We have received 49 sign-ups already, which is great progress for the first week!! If you have not signed up, please let us know if you would plan to attend the XMAS party by emailing Mike Story. We feel we need a minimum of 60 people to financially justify the party, but would love to see 80+ folks sign-up, as we have had in the past. Thank you!!!
A Message from the CUC President
By Ed McMinn
“ No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father” (Matthew 24:36)
We think we have everything figured out and under control, and then something unexpected happens. About the only thing we can expect from life with any certainty is the unexpected. Reality, as C. S. Lewis put it, “is usually odd.”
Part of the oddness of our reality is God’s active participation in it. God has a habit of suddenly and unexpectedly showing up to remind us he’s still around. A friend who calls and tells you he’s praying for you, a hug from your child or grandchild, a lone lily that blooms in your yard. In unexpected moments such as these, the divine comes crashing into our lives with such clarity that it takes our breath away and brings tears to our eyes.
But why shouldn’t God do the unexpected? The only factor limiting what God can do in our lives is the paucity of our own faith. We should expect the unexpected from God, this same deity who caught everyone by surprise by unexpectedly coming to live among us as a man, and who will return when we least expect it. God continually does the unexpected, like showing up as Jesus to remind us of his presence.
Once you have passed the 14th day after your second COVID vaccine, I hope you will make plans to return to the CUC classroom in person. We miss you!
My Neighbor’s Pantry
Last week My Neighbor’s Pantry was able to provide Fresh Market rotisserie chicken dinners to 200 of our families in addition to their usual grocery haul!
However they were very low on laundry detergent, black/pinto beans and feminine hygiene products. They also need Flour, Vegetable oil,and household cleaning products. When you grocery shop think of My Neighbor’s Pantry. You can drop items off on Mondays 12-2:00 PM. Just drive to the back of the B Building at RUMC, honk your horn, and a masked volunteer will get them from your car. We are also in need of monetary donations to keep our program alive!
CUC My Neighbors Pantry Update
From CUC Treasurer Charlie Mason:
Throughout 2020 and into 2021 CUC Class members have donated a total of $6,715 for the summer lunch program, which has become known as My Neighbors Pantry. During that time class members who have been shopping for items needed by the program have been reimbursed for their expenditures. The total for reimbursements has now reached $6,786. At this point those who wish to support the food program should continue to do so; but they should do this independently.
RUMC Weekly “To Go” Menu
From Jacob Crane:
Another productive week from the hospitality crew here at RUMC! This week we served 361 Hot meals and 182 Frozen meals! That was an average of 180 meals going out of the door on our 3 days of Service! Please keep letting others know about the Service we are providing; we are so blessed and thankful to be able to provide for the community! Meals continue every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM. You can pick up meals at our drive-through outside of Fellowship Hall. All meals are just $5.00.
Week of March 9th, 10th, and 11th.
- Tuesday: Italian Meatballs w/ Spaghetti, Steamed Carrots, Garlic Bread.
- Wednesday: Sauteed Chicken and Leeks w/ Herbed Raisin Couscous, Vegetable Medley, Yeast Roll.
- Thursday: Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Etouffee, Creole Rice Pilaf, Slow Roasted Tomato, Hush Puppies.
- Margie Avery – undergoing radiation treatment and chemo but, having problems with low blood count delaying treatment.
- Pat Deaton ‘s daughter Lara Mittleholzer needs prayers on the loss of her mother. Celebration of Life for Pat will be 5:00 pm this Sunday, March 7 at Woodstock Funeral Home with visitation starting at 4:00. Bill Floyd will be doing the service.
- Jeannie Ehlers as she recovers from her Chemo and has follow-up tests
- Don Macleod – recovering from surgery
- Wanda Taylor – recovering from rotator cuff surgery
- Dave Wistrand for a continued good recovery from major heart surgery
- Vince Grosse’s sister Deidre Morrison as she continues chemotherapy and The Grosse’s friend Susan Ouzts continuing radiation therapy at the Mayo Clinic for pancreatic cancer.They appreciate your continued prayers.
- Hugh & Sue Gardner still ask continued prayers for their neighbor Doug Reed and his wife Chris. Doug remains in a coma but continues to show slight improvement. The oxygen level that he has to intake from the respirator has been reduced from 75% to 50%.
- Dick Anthony – as he continues to deal with health problems.
- Sister Backus – with continuing back problems and Parkinson’s Disease
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Malone Dodson as he continues PT to improve function of right leg
- Betty and Don Gay – at home with daily help of caregiver
- Mary Kay Mills – as she continues treatment of leukemia
- Edna Smith as she deals with increasing problems with Parkinson’s Disease
- Betty Smith – recovering from a stroke
- Stan Thomason – following his loss of Virginia. He appreciates phone calls as he does not use a computer and is alone in an elder care facility. He thanks CUC for the messages of condolence.
- Shirley May – Thanksgiving for relief of severe pain following kyphosoplasty procedure on her vertebrae last week.
- Dave and Nancy Wistrand: Thanks so much to our CUC Friends: Dave and Nancy are grateful for and appreciative of the prayers, love and encouragement expressed in the many cards, calls, and messages received for Dave’s 2/10 heart surgery. Doctor says heart and lungs are working well. Dave is exercising with PT to rebuild strength and muscle.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made, especially at this difficult time with the Corona virus! Special prayers for CUC members who have had severely limited outside contacts for these past few months due to Covid 19 risk. Prayers also for our nation and its people.
- Johnie Wright – March 8
- Betty Smith – March 11
- Diane Stephens – March 12
- Patsy Lanham – March 13
Support for Our Missions: Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses! You can continue to contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile. Also register at Publix.com with M-H’s school as the one to receive a portion of your receipts at Publix.
- September 11-12 – CUC Retreat at Hiawasee
- December 7 – CUC Christmas Party