Revelation 1:3 – Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Introduction to Revelation
Bob Fletcher has our lesson Sunday. He always brings us an excellent and thought- provoking lesson. His title is “Introduction to Revelation”. Bob says it would be great if people could read the first chapter of Revelation before Sunday.
CUC Sunday School Class on Zoom
It is about 19 weeks since CUC has met together as a class. Thank goodness for Zoom!
We had 100 participants last Sunday.
Just enter that meeting ID when you start Zoom and you will be connected to the CUC Sunday School meeting . Doug normally starts the meeting about 9:15 am on Sundays. This gives you a chance to say Hello, and then the class starts at 9:30 am sharpish!
Due to the limit of 100 participants Doug suggests that you watch the class meeting on one device, such as your tablet, iPad, or computer so that it can be viewed by you and your significant other. This will give everyone a chance to view the class.
Online Attendance Register for all SS Classes
As everyone knows, in the last few months of sheltering in place, Church staff has been reviewing and implementing new programs and procedures to allow for “our new normal” – whatever that maybe. A definitive guideline is to remove all paper and printed materials that can pass from person to person in order to negate the transmission of germs. Effective, August 2, 2020, all Sunday School Classes and Small Groups will be registering attendance – either Zooming or on-site participation – via online attendance using everyone’s personal cell phone or tablet. Class members will initially go online to:
to register within Ministry Platform. After that, each time you sign-on you will just need to select the event that you are attending to register. If you are attending via Zoom you will do the same to register your attendance to a selected event. At this time, the system will allow you to chose between “Sunday School – 9:30 am” OR “Sunday School – 11:00 am.” When you chose the time that your class normally meets, the system will then automatically connect your attendance to your specific Class.
RUMC Covid-19 Virus Sunday Alternative
Be sure to live stream the church service on Sunday.
Go to RUMC.com/live at the time of the Sunday service you want to watch. Be sure to register your attendance for that too!
A Note from Our New CUC President Fred Brown
Hello CUCs from the mountains of NC.
MariAnna and I are on a short getaway enjoying the cool weather here in Linville Falls. We are off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 50 miles east of Ashville. We will be back on Friday, so we look forward the seeing you on Zoom Sunday morning.
First, let me thank Sandy Griffin and all the officers and committees for their excellent work this past year. Sandy, you have come through as a true champion under trying times! Who would have thought!! Everyone really stepped up their game as we continued on Zoom. Attendance each Sunday has been outstanding.
I want to also thank all of you who have agreed to remain as officers, committee chairs and members. To all our new officers and committee members, thank you for volunteering and welcome aboard. Sandy Martin agreed to be my Vice President, and I know she will do a great job.
Meals from the RUMC Kitchen
The hot $5.00 takeout meals continue. We are still providing a very essential service to so many, Wednesday and Thursday from 12 – 2 outside of Fellowship Hall in the drive through lane. During the last two weeks of July, we served over 400 hot meals and @ 275 Frozen meals. That means we are still averaging serving over 100 meals per day of service. Thanks to all of you for helping to make this happen. Please continue to promote this service to those in need in our community as each of you sees fit.
Week of August 11th – August 13th
- Tuesday: Korean BBQ Beef, Sesame Chive Rice, Pickled Veggies, Sesame Roll
- Wednesday: Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Jambalaya, Fried Okra, Cheddar Corn Bread
- Thursday: Classic Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, Herb Roasted Carrots, Yeast Roll
Bottled Water with all meals
While it is preferred that orders are made online, payments of cash or check are still accepted. Just click on the link below to pre-order online or email Jacob and then pull up to the curb outside the Fellowship Hall doors. Just drive up and honk your horn! Same for frozen meals – order online or email and just pull up to the curb!
Online ordering: http://www.rumc.com/wno/
My Neighbor’s Pantry
From Scotty Brewington:
As the Summer Grocery Program comes to a close today, we are excited to announce the next phase of our community outreach: My Neighbor’s Pantry! Because of the success of our summer program, we were awarded a federal grant to continue through the first week of November. Though this new program will not be affiliated with MUST, it will still be a community effort. In short, we still need your help!
The new program, which kicks off next Monday (August 10th), will continue to serve the 250+ families we serve now, but it will look a little different.
- #1: What we have: RUMC will use the grant money to purchase several items each week for our families including bread, milk, chicken, beef, fresh produce, tortillas, toilet paper and paper towels.
- #2: What we need: In addition to these items, we are asking for donations of: hot dogs/buns, cheese (blocks or packages of shredded), fresh vegetables and fruits and non-food items not covered by food stamps including soap, hand soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes, household cleaning supplies, detergent/liquid dish soap and feminine hygiene products.
How can you help? We will be collecting these items on Mondays 5:00-6:00 PM at the RUMC Fellowship Hall. Drop-off procedures will be the same. Come to the RUMC Fellowship Hall, pull up in front of the double-doors, honk your horn and a volunteer will come get the groceries from your car.
As always, THANK YOU for everything you do to care for the families in our community. Like Johnny Cash says, “We’re all in this together if we’re in it at all.” Thank you for your love, faith, support and generosity. None of this is possible without you. Let’s do this!
Plans for Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
Planning is beginning for the golf tournament for 2020. The date is:
Monday October 12 th at Woodmont Country Club. (Columbus Day). All monies, after expenses, will be going to the RUMC Foundation.
- Bill Griffin as he recovers from coronary artery bypass surgery on Thursday
- Mary Kay Mills undergoing a bone marrow biopsy next Friday
- Bonnie White for a good recovery following surgery this past Thursday
- Edna Smith as she deals with increasing problems with Parkinson’s Disease. She expresses much thanks to CUC members who have called her and sent notes and cards.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- Shirley May still recovering with post-shingles neuropathy
- Stan & Virginia Thomason – Virginia has now been placed on Hospice Care to assist Stan in caring for her. Stan looks forward to calls from CUC members.
- Dick Anthony – as he continues to deal with health problems. He and Laverne Lamb thank you for your notes, cards and prayers.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made, especially at this difficult time with the Corona virus! Special prayers for CUC members who have had severely limited outside contacts for these past few months due to Covid 19 risk. Prayers also for our nation and its people and for the reopening of churches.
CUC Cares and Concerns
Since we will still not be meeting together it is important that we keep those CUC prayers coming. Please send prayer requests and updates to Sue Waite.
- Jim Morman – August 11
- Larry Douglas– Aug 12
- Ann O’Meara – Aug 13
- Gale Davis – August 14
- Norma and Dave Hills – August 11, 1957- 63 years!
- Myra & Julian Belote – August 12, 1989- 31 years
- Ann and Don McNew – August 12, 1961 –59 years!
- Sue and Hugh Gardner – August 15, 1970 – 50 years!
Support for Our Missions:
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on saving those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions and send your collected ones to Betty Hunt.
- Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
- You can also contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile.
Save the Date
- Monday, October 12– Malone Dodson Golf Tournament