“For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.”
Romans 15:4, NIV
Sunday, May 3, 2020
A Guy Named Shamgar
For this week’s CUC Sunday School lesson we are fortunate to have as our teacher, Joe McKechnie. His topic is “A Guy Named Shamgar”. The scripture is: Judges 3:31 31 After Ehud came Shamgar son of Anath, who struck down six hundred Philistines with an oxgoad. He too saved Israel.
CUC Sunday School Class on Zoom
Topic: CUC Sunday School – May 3, 2020
Time: May 3, 2020 09:15 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Due to the limit of 100 participants Doug suggests that you watch the Class meeting on one device, such as your tablet, iPad, or computer so that it can be viewed by you and your significant other. This will give everyone a chance to view the class. Be sure to install ZOOM on your device before Sunday.
Note from CUC Pres. Sandy Griffin:
Hello CUCers. Another week has passed and I cannot remember the last Sunday where we were all together in our classroom. Let us all pray that we can be together again by the end of May, if not before.
There are a lot of people working behind the scenes to find a vaccine and we will probably never know their names. It is a fact in history that history is most often made by people it doesn’t often record by name. Men and women who have fought and died in wars. People who have helped with some of our most important inventions. The game Candy Land was invented by a retired teacher during the polio epidemic. This is not a life saving invention, but our children have enjoyed it for several generations. Oh, the inventor of the game donated all of her royalties to children’s charities. So, do what God has called you to do in this world. Whether the world knows your name or not, rest assured your Father knows your name and will reward your faithfulness forever.
Dr. Jim Denison has written a model for maximizing our impact in these challenging days.
- Look for those God intends you to influence.
- Speak as God speaks to you.
- Make time to be alone with your Lord.
“When any duty presents itself we hear God’s voice as our Lord heard his Father’s voice, and we are ready for it with all the alertness of our love for him”. Oswald Chambers
Potluck Dinner Plans Cancelled
Claudia Phelps reports that the June 23 CUC potluck date has been removed from our class schedule. The Social Committee has made the decision to officially cancel the event this year because for the past 2 years we have had close to 80 people in attendance which is above the number recommended for gatherings and would not permit “social distancing”.
RUMC Covid-19 Virus Sunday Alternative
Be sure to live stream the church service on Sunday. Go to RUMC.com/live at the time of the Sunday service you want to watch.
Supporting RUMC High School Seniors
The youth department would love our help with a SURPRISE project. Since it doesn’t look like the 2020 Senior class is going to get their prom, graduation or Senior Sunday at RUMC, we were hoping we could get your help honoring them in a different way. We would love for EVERY ONE of our Seniors to get a handwritten letter or card from someone in the RUMC congregation, telling them they are being thought of, prayed over and honored as the close of their Senior year approaches. We have about 120 seniors on our roster and we would love for them all to get at least one card/letter. If you feel led to do this, please email Shannon Reed at email@example.com or text/call her at 770-355-8532. She will provide you with as many seniors and addresses as you would like. We are hoping to get these mailed by as early in May as possible. Please help us honor these Seniors!!!
Meals from the RUMC Kitchen
Jacob Crane and his team continue to serve hot meals from 12:00 – 2:00 pm Mondays through Thursdays and frozen meals each day are provided until 4:00. Each meal is only $5.00 each!
While it is preferred that orders are made online, payments of cash or check are still accepted. Just click on the link below to pre-order online or email Jacob and then pull up to the curb outside the Fellowship Hall doors. Just honk your horn! Same for frozen meals – order online or email or call Jacob during daytime hours and just pull up to the curb!
Jacob, cell: 404-291-0889 or firstname.lastname@example.org Online
- Monday May 4th:
- Glazed Ham with Macaroni and Cheese, Grilled Pineapple, Yeast Roll,
- Tuesday May 5th:
- Slow Roasted Adobo Pork over Mexican Rice Pilaf, Charro Beans, Grilled Flat Bread,
- Wednesday May 6th:
- Beef Stroganoff over Buttered Egg Noodles, Roasted Broccoli, Yeast Roll,
- Thursday, May 7th:
- Chicken Pot Pie, Garden Salad, Buttered Roll,
All meals include Bottled Water and Canned Sodas.
Pray for all our CUC Classmates and their families to stay safe and avoid this terrible communicable virus which has so changed our daily lives.
- Donna Johnson on the loss of her husband Johnny
- Patricia McCormick as she recovers at home from a partial hip replacement after a fall – (Mrs. Jim McCormick, 1440 Oak Meadow Lane, Cumming, GA, 30041)
- Babs Skillings who had a nerve ablation in her lower back on Tuesday for relief of back pain
- Kris Taylor as she recovers from her 5 broken ribs.
- Bob Hamilton is doing well with Physical Therapy and improving each day. (“Many thanks to all of CUC for the prayers, meals, etc. You all are amazing!” Beth)
- Dick Anthony as he continues his recovery.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma
- John Lemke as he continues his recovery and is able to be back on his feet again
- Shirley May still recovering with post-shingles nephropathy
We continue to pray for God’s protection for all people during this uncertain time.
CUC Cares and Concerns
Since we will not be meeting it is important that we keep those CUC prayers coming.
Please send prayer requests and updates to Sue Waite
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made, especially at this difficult time of national emergency with the Corona virus!
- Sandy and Bill Griffin’s daughter, Kathy, was married Saturday with only immediate family and friends on Zoom.
- Bob Hamilton – May 7
- Pat Phillips – May 9
- Gayle & George Crolius – May 9, 2001 – 19 years
- Lesleigh & Jeff Coelho – May 9, 1970 – 50 years!!
Support for Our Missions:
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on saving those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
Continue to save those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
You can also contribute support to Murphy Harpst using Amazon Smile.
- August 6-8 – Job Networking Garage Sale (setup beginning Sunday, August 2)