There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Sunday, February 9, 2020
The Upside-Down World of the Kingdom of God.
Bob Fletcher, one of our favorite speakers, has our lesson Sunday. His topic sounds interesting: “The upside-down world of the Kingdom of God”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Judy & Dal Zierk and Martha Jane & Charlie Mason
96 members+ 1 New member + 1 visitor = Total 98
Welcome Our New Member
Be sure to welcome our newest CUC member, Lizann Gibson.
Mardi Gras Party
CUC’s second annual Mardi Gras Day Party will be on February 25, at 6:00 PM at the Huntcliff River Club, 9072 River Run Avenue, Sandy Springs. Our first one was such fun that more than 77 people have signed up!
Red beans and rice Jambalaya will be served. This will be “pot luck” for sides and appetizers. $12 per person. Sign up and pay on Sunday morning! Contact Garlinn or Mike Story with any questions. Please make arrangements to carpool.
Wednesday Night Out
There are now short programs of entertainment at the Wednesday night dinners. The entertainment for WNO next week is the Ewald Band. Come and enjoy some “easy listening music” during dinner.
This week’s menu is:
- Pork Marbella with Plum Pork Jus
- Mushroom Wild Rice Pilaf, Sautéed Green Beans with Peppers and Onions
- Fresh Buttered Yeast Rolls, Featured Salad Bar, Minestrone Soup
- Italian Cream Cake
Make your plans to be there with many of your CUC friends…..don’t miss it….delicious food, warm fellowship and a friendly place to be.
Homestretch Peachtree Tea
Support Homestretch while attending this wonderful annual event!
The Homestretch Peachtree Tea is on Tuesday, February 25th , held at the Country Club of the South. Tickets are $80 and it is a major fundraiser along with its silent auction for Homestretch. Several of our very talented CUC members have donated great raffle items for the on-line auction that day.
CUC usually fills at least one table and we carpool from the church. We are well on our way to filling a second table! Talk to Lynn Adcock for information. For tickets call 770-642-9185 or Homestretch.org
Murphy Harpst Birthday Party
February 22nd will be the 6th year that CUC has provided a birthday party for the Murphy Harpst Children’s Center in Cedartown. Murphy Harpst provides safety and intensive therapy for severely abused and neglected young people.
We will give a $25 gift card to each of the 3 children celebrating a February birthday and provide the party for about 75 residents and staff. We need 12-15 people to bring and set out all the party supplies, bingo games and prizes, and to serve, play Bingo and visit with the students.
Please sign up to attend or donate toward party supplies (playing cards, sodas, candy, chips and raffle prizes). Contact Betty Hunt for more information.
CUC 2020 Retreat
This year’s CUC retreat will be at a favorite CUC retreat location at Winshape on the Berry College campus, October 21-23. Mark your 2020 calendars now! Rusty Gordon will be our leader for an “Old Fashioned Methodist Camp Meeting”.
Serving Side By Side
2020’s mission celebration is a 4-week event this year. February 3-28, Serving Side By Side. RUMC will be providing food for North Fulton Community Charities all month long.
Week 3 will provide opportunities to serve locally.
Week 4 will be for commitment to donate and serve including a Saturday morning at 10:00 when 150 people will be needed for packing food – 25,000 meals for shipment to hungry people.
See the RUMC website and “Friday Blast” for further information to determine how you can participate and to sign up for activities.
Acting UP presents: Life with Father
Tickets on sale now. Purchase your tickets at the Box Office, 678.871.7766; the Main Office, Chapel building; Worship Arts office, Sanctuary building, or online.
The production runs March 27-29. Friday & Saturday evening shows include dinner, $15 general seating, $30 reserved. Sunday afternoon show tickets are $10 general seating, $25 reserved.
Mark your calendars and start collecting your no-longer-needed items together! RUMC Job Networking’s Annual Garage Sale Extravaganza and Bake Sale will be May 7, 8, & 9, 2020.The garage sale to benefit Job Networking starts with set up Sunday after church, May 3. Plan to bring your in donations and to encourage others to bring them too.
Get Your Cans to Church!
Help us fill the pantry at North Fulton Community Charities! A list of current needs can be found HERE, and is also attached to bags in the Sanctuary lobbies. You can bring non-perishable items on Sundays or to the Main Office, Chapel building .
Box Tops and Flip Tops, etc.
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on bringing in those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
Save and bring in those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
- Pat Ball and family as she mourns the loss of her husband Fred.
- Bob Davis and family as they mourn the loss of Barbara.
- Tom Erdman – still awaiting surgery for a recurrence of liposarcoma
- Juliana Goodson – for a continued good recovery from knee surgery
- Johnny Johnson as he continues chemo for his pancreatic cancer. And for Donna on the loss of her mother.
- John Lemke had successful foot surgery St. Joseph’s on Monday and has been moved to Manor Care in Marietta for rehab.
- Dave and Norma Hills – Their son Tom and wife Susan in Decatur have two cancer patients in their home. Susan’s mom Ellen is receiving hospice care and daughter Sadie, aged 15, has lymphoma and is beginning treatment with surgery this past Monday.
- Dick Anthony as he continues his recovery
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
CUC Sunday Cares and Concerns
On Sundays there is a basket with cards and a pen for you to write down your prayer requests and/or thanksgivings. It will be on the table to the left as you come in the double doors. After you fill it out, give the card to Sandy Griffin and she will read it from the podium. Our prayer requests are too important and we want everyone to hear them.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor (firstname.lastname@example.org)of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list)
- Bob Morisey – Feb. 9
- Betty Robertson – Feb. 11
- Mr. Patrick Cooney – Feb. 15
- Feb 22 – Birthday Party at Murphy Harpst
- Feb 25 – CUC Mardi Gras Party at Huntcliff River Club
- Feb 25 – HomeStretch Peachtree Tea – 11:00 AM
- March 15 – The Voices of Mimosa Concert – 3 P.M.
- March 27-29 – Life with Father
- May 7-9 – Job Networking Garage Sale
- June 23 – CUC Patriotic Party – 6:00 PM
- Oct. 21-23 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College