Hear what the LORD says: Rise, plead your case before the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice.
Micah 6:8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
Sunday, February 2, 2020
God’s Call Today
The CUC lesson this Sunday will be divided into two parts, both led by CUC members.
The first, led by Doug Tatom will be on using your computer, tablet, and phone to best “hear God’s call”. How to get to our church and CUC websites, phone apps, the Login, creating your own bookmarks, etc.; information on church activities, fellow classmates, and previous CUC lessons can be found here…… if you know how to find them.
The second part, led by Jeff Coelho will be “God’s call today”, are you listening for it?”
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Babs & Shaw Skillings and Jill Head and Jane Bailey
94 Members + 1 visitor = 95 total
CUC Sunday Cares and Concerns
On Sundays there is a basket with cards and a pen for you to write down your prayer requests and/or thanksgivings. It will be on the table to the left as you come in the double doors. After you fill it out, give the card to Sandy Griffin and she will read it from the podium. Our prayer requests are too important and we want everyone to hear them.
We are fortunate to have Bonnie White playing beautiful piano music each week as we gather.
Mardi Gras Party
CUC’s second annual Mardi Gras Party will be on February 25, at 6:00 PM at the Huntcliff River Club. Our first one was such fun that over 70 people have signed up! Red beans and rice Jambalaya will be served. This will be “pot luck” for sides and appetizers. Sign up on Sunday morning! Contact Garlinn or Mike Story with any questions.
CUC Neighborhood Care Groups
The Neighborhood Care Group list is now updated and has been sent out via email by Dave Roberts and have now been incorporated into our CUC contact list by Doug Tatom. See Doug to find out how to add the list of CUC contacts to your cell phone so you will always have all the information you need to find about your classmates literally at your fingertips. If you notice that anyone in your group has been absent for a while send them a card or a phone call. Have a big dinner party, or dessert and coffee and play games, or come to Wednesday Night Dinner and sit together. Anything you can think of that is good fellowship!
Wednesday Night Out
Wednesday night we continue a new series of Wednesday Night Out suppers. Come and enjoy delicious food, warm fellowship and a friendly place to be. Roger Davis and Larry Hunt are making arrangements for short programs at the Wednesday night dinners and have entertainment lined up each week. The food and the programs have been great. The entertainment for next Wednesday will be Jane Riley and Gregg Davidson of Believe Ministries. Jacob Crane and his staff have really been working hard to make this an enjoyable event. Come enjoy the evening with your CUC friends. Make your plans to be there…..don’t miss it!!
This week’s menu
- Herbed Chicken Pot Pie, Roasted Garlic Butter Broccoli
- Fresh Buttered Yeast Rolls, Featured Salad Bar, Soup de Jour
- Peach Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream.
Serving hours: 4:45-6:30 pm, take out available until 6:45. In case you have missed out Jacob prepares take-out dinners enough for two for $5. We hear they are delicious!
Homestretch Peachtree Tea
Support Homestretch while attending this wonderful annual event! The Homestretch Peachtree Tea is coming up on Tuesday, February 25th. It is held at the Country Club of the South. Tickets are $80 and it is a major fundraiser along with its silent auction for Homestretch. CUC usually fills at least one table and we carpool from the church. Talk to Lynn Adcock for information. For tickets call 770-642-9185 or Homestretch.org
Murphy Harpst Birthday Party
February 22nd will be the 6th year that CUC has provided a birthday party for the Murphy Harpst Children’s Center in Cedartown. Murphy Harpst provides safety and intensive therapy for severely abused and neglected young people.
We will give a $25 gift card to each of the 3 children celebrating a February birthday and provide the party for about 75 residents and staff. We need 12-15 people to bring and set out all the party supplies, bingo games and prizes, and to serve, play Bingo and visit with the students.
Please sign up to attend or donate toward party supplies. (playing cards, sodas, candy, chips). See Betty Hunt for more details.
CUC 2020 Retreat
This year’s CUC retreat will be at a favorite CUC retreat location at Winshape on the Berry College campus, October 21-23. Mark your 2020 calendars now! Rusty Gordon will be our leader for an “Old Fashioned Methodist Camp Meeting”.
Serving Side By Side
2020’s mission celebration will be a 4-week event this year. February 3-28. Serving Side By Side. RUMC will be providing food for North Fulton Community Charities all month long. “Get your cans to church!!”
Week 1 will include Family Promise – housing a homeless family for the week.
Week 2 will provide opportunities to listen and learn from our sponsored missionaries.
Week 3 will provide opportunities to serve locally.
Week 4 will be for commitment to donate and serve including a Saturday night when 150 people will be needed for packing food.
See the RUMC website and “Friday Blast” for further information to determine how you can participate and to sign up for activities.
Box Tops and Flip Tops, etc.
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on bringing in those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
Save and bring in those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
- Sister Backus for relief of severe back pain
- Bob Davis and family as they mourn the loss of Barbara. Her service will be on Monday at 10:30 in the chapel. (Go to northsidechapel.com to see her obituary).
- Tom Erdman – scheduled for surgery on Feb. 3 for a recurrence of liposarcoma
- Juliana Goodson – for a continued good recovery from knee surgery last Wednesday. Her surgery went well and she thanks the class for all the prayers, calls, and texts. She said she felt covered with all the prayers and appreciates them so much.
- Johnny Johnson and Donna as he continues chemo for his pancreatic cancer. Also on Thursday Donna’s Mother, Leila Niedelman, passed away in her sleep. She was two days shy of her 93rd birthday. They are at peace with her being with the Lord and no longer suffering. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
- Dave and Norma Hills – Their son Tom and wife Susan in Decatur have two cancer patients in their home. Susan’s mom Ellen is receiving hospice care and daughter Sadie, aged 15, has lymphoma and will begin chemo. Thanks for praying with and for their family.
- Dick Anthony as he continues his recovery it is good to see him back in class!
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor Sue Waite of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list
- From Gail Earman – a thank you to all the people who sent cards and those that attended Diana’s Memorial service. The prayers were felt and I can’t thank you all enough. She was much loved by so many and will be missed.
- Jim Lappe – Feb 2
- Don MacLeod – Feb 4
- Tom Cantrell – Feb 4
- Gayle Crolius – Feb 6
- Patricia Mashburn – Feb 6
- Sieg Hoogstraal – Feb 7
~~ none ~~
- Feb 22 – Birthday Party at Murphy Harpst
- Feb 25 – CUC Mardi Gras Party at Huntcliff River Club
- Feb 25 – HomeStretch Peachtree Tea – 11:00 AM
- June 23 – CUC Patriotic Party – 6:00 PM
- Oct. 21-23 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College