Blessed is he who has regard for the weak. The Lord delivers him in times of trouble.
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Having A Giving and Grateful Heart
Talaya Parker, Executive Director of HomeStretch, is our speaker. Her lesson title is “Having a Giving and Grateful Heart”.
HomeStretch is one of the local ministries that CUC has supported for years with both talent and donations. It was founded by three local churches as a spin-off of North Fulton Charities.
RUMC was one of those churches and CUC was a “hands on” contributor in the early days and continues its financial support and usually has a member on the HomeStretch Board of Directors.
The ministry of HomeStretch is ever evolving so it’s time to let both long time and recently joined members of CUC know of the exciting things happening in providing a “hands up” to deserving families who find themselves homeless.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Dee & Bill Scott and Gloria & Jack Stadler
94 members + 2 Guests+ 1 Speaker = 97 total
CUC Sunday Cares and Concerns
On Sundays there will be a basket with cards and a pen for you to write down your prayer requests and/or thanksgivings. It will be on the table to the left as you come in the double doors. After you fill it out, give the card to Sandy Griffin and she will read it from the podium. Our prayer requests are too important and we want everyone to hear them.
Mardi Gras Party
CUC will be having a second annual Mardi Gras Party on
February 25 at 6:00 PM
at the Huntcliff River Club. Our first one was such fun that over 50 people signed up the first time the signup sheet was passed! This will be “pot luck” for sides and appetizers. Sign up on Sunday morning! Contact Mike Story with any questions.
The Neighborhood Care Group list is now updated and has been sent out via email by Dave Roberts. If you notice that anyone in your group has been absent for a while send them a card or a phone call. Have a big dinner party, or dessert and coffee and play games, or come to Wednesday Night Dinner and sit together. Anything you can think of that is good fellowship.
The Neighborhood Care groups have been added to the CUC Contact List. If you have forgotten the password please contact Doug Tatom.
Murphy Harpst Thank You
CUC has been sent a “thank you” letter from Murphy Harpst for the $4000 contribution from CUC which was to provide gift cards for the children there at Christmas.
Wednesday Night Out
This Wednesday night, January 22, we continue a new series of Wednesday Night Out suppers. Come and enjoy delicious food, warm fellowship and a friendly place to be. Other changes are being planned for the evening. Roger Davis and Larry Hunt are making arrangements for short programs at the Wednesday night dinners and have entertainment lined up for 5:30. Make your plans to be there…..don’t miss it!!
Jacob Crane and his excellent staff will be preparing a great meal. This week’s menu is:
- Cajun Jambalaya, Fried Okra, Green Beans
- Corn Bread, Creole Corn Chowder, Featured Salad Bar
- Spiced Apple Bread Pudding.
Serving hours: 4:45-6:30 pm, take out available until 6:45 pm. In case you have missed out Jacob prepares take-out dinners enough for two for $5. We hear they are delicious!
Drop off your donations for the Mission Booth at the RUMC Main Office, Chapel building. Needed is jewelry, small furniture, collectibles, and best-seller hardback books. Income from the booth goes for missions. The booth is in City Antiques at 700 Holcomb Bridge Road. Questions/information: Ann Gordon, rumc.com/missionbooth
Alphabet Soup II is the theme of the Charis Gallery’s 6th annual art project and silent auction to benefit RUMC’s local mission partners. All are invited to participate! You may pick up your wooden letter to decorate in the Worship Arts office. Embellished letters are due by February 6.
- Brenda Burell for a good recovery following surgery this week for bone spurs
- Tom Cantrell as he continues his radiation treatments through January
- Barbara and Bob Davis – moved to Sunrise at Ivey Ridge. However Barbara has suffered a mild stroke and is at North Fulton Hospital where she is now in Rehab.
- Tom Erdman – recently diagnosed with a recurrence of liposarcoma , will need surgery
- Juliana Goodson – having knee surgery on Wednesday
- Johnny Johnson and Donna as he continues chemo for his pancreatic cancer.
- Lynn Roberts as she recovers from foot surgery
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma. (They sent CUC a thank you note in appreciation for the cards and calls and visits.)
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
- Dick Anthony and Laverne Lamb back to CUC as Dick continues his recovery
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor (email@example.com)of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list)
- Janice Scalzo – Jan 21
- Sister and Gannett Backus – January 22, 1972- 48 years
- Feb 22 – Birthday Party at Murphy Harpst
- Feb 25 – CUC Mardi Gras Party at Huntcliff River Club
- June 24 – CUC Patriotic Party
- Oct. 21-23 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College