The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. Psalm 28:7
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Developing a Trusting Heart
This Sunday our own Debbie Goodwin has the CUC class lesson. Debbie always brings us an inspiring lesson.
She has chosen as her subject “Developing a Trusting Heart”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Marlene & Don MacLeod and Myra & Julian Belote
Members 109 + 2 visitors = 111 !!
Tell It Like It Can Be
Jim McCormick’s new book, Tell It Like It Can Be, is being offered through CUC with 100% of the $15 sales price going to a CUC mission project. Tom Knight is handling the sales. Please write your check to CUC and note it is for the book purchase. Jim will be speaking in CUC in several weeks and will sign his books for you at that time.
Christmas is coming!
This Sunday, November 17, is the deadline to sign up and pay for our CUC Christmas party on December 3 at the Metropolitan Club. ( Checks should be made out to CUC with Christmas Party in the memo line). We are so excited to have approximately 109 people signed up for the party. If you won’t be in CUC and want to attend please contact MariAnna Brown or a member of the committee to have your name added to the list or if you have any questions. The Metropolitan Club requires our final count and payment 10 business days before our event. If you are out of town please feel free to mail your payment before the deadline The cost will be $40 per person. Be sure to pick up your bag for the white elephant gift exchange.
Operation Christmas Child
Collect your goodies to put in the boxes for Operation Christmas Child which will be collected by Lynn Roberts. Or you can contribute on-line. Please let Lynn know if you choose to donate your box on-line. The aim is for CUC to contribute 100 boxes by the final date for collection November 17th!
Christmas for Murphy Harpst Children
Our CUC Class traditionally helps to make Christmas a happy time at Murphy-Harpst Children’s Home in Cedartown. Pam Kramer, our contact person there, has sent the following message to us. “We are excited to provide the best holiday for our residential, specialized foster care, and community services children this season. Many have not ever experienced a real Christmas and it is truly a joy to see their faces light up on Christmas morning. We appreciate your continued support to make this year one children will never forget.”
The Mission Outreach Committee suggests that we donate cash or checks made out to CUC with Murphy-Harpst on the notation line. All money will be handed to class treasurer Charlie Mason, who will send one check to this Methodist facility. The goal is to provide $25 gift cards for as many young people as our total will buy. Pam knows about our plan for this year.The Christmas basket will be passed around our classroom for the next three Sundays. Thank you for your kindness, CUC. Contact Betty Hunt with any questions.
Thanks to the Cares and Concerns Committee
Much appreciation goes to the CUC Cares and Concerns committee for organizing the food for the meal following the memorial service for George Martin.
Another Christmas Event
CUC is invited to the Wrights for our annual Christmas Open House on Tuesday, December 10th, starting at from 6 P.M. Bring an hors d’oeuvres or a dessert. Beverages will be provided.
RUMC Wednesday Night Out Dinner
WNO Menu for November 20:
- Roasted Turkey with Pan Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Herbed Stuffing, Garlic Butter Green Beans,
- Fresh Cranberry Sauce, Yeast Rolls, Featured Salad Bar, Soup De Jour, Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie
Serving hours: 4:45-6:30pm, take out available until 6:45pm
There are mission trips planned to Panama City through January. If anyone is interested go, to rum.com/missiontrips. Also if anyone is interested in missions right here in our own backyard, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Box Tops and Flip Tops, etc.
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on bringing in those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
Save and bring in those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
And remember to set up accounts and use your purchases at Publix and Amazon Smile to support Murphy Harpst.
- Dick Anthony – came home from rehab on Tuesday to Laverne Lamb’s home for further recuperation. Doing OK just needs to grow stronger.
- Tom Cantrell – as he is treated for bladder cancer
- Barbara Davis – was not doing well in rehab and has been returned to the Gwinnett Northside Hospital in Duluth. Room 405.
- Johnny Johnson and Donna as he continues chemo for his pancreatic cancer.
- Patsy Lanham is scheduled for a heart ablation at Emory/St. Joseph’s next Monday morning at 7:30 and would appreciate prayers for a successful procedure. This is to hopefully get rid of the impulses causing atrial fibrillation. She will be there overnight.
- Sandy Martin – Prayers and sympathy on the loss of George.
- Julian Belote – for good recovery following fractured hip
It was good to see Earnie Robertson back to CUC and participating in the Veteran’s Day program in CUC. We wish Bettie Robertson well.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
- Baby Jack premature infant grand nephew of Marianna Brown who continues to battle multiple complications, and his parents.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor(email@example.com)of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list)
- Lynn Roberts—Nov 18
- Ron Peterson—Nov 18
- Sandy Griffin—Nov 19
- Brenda & Bob Burrell – November 17, 1990 – 29 years
- Gale and Roger Davis – November 23, 1961 – 58 years!
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club
- Dec. 5, 6, 7 – RUMC Christmas Gift Show
- Dec 10 – Wright’s Christmas Open House
- Dec 13, 7:30, Dec.15, 3PM – Christmas Festival Concerts
- Oct. 21-23, 2020 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College