“The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.”
Who Are These People?
Sally Dowland is our CUC teacher Sunday. She has decided to do a lesson she calls “Who Are These People?” We will take a look at the groups who are so prominent in the New Testament- scribes, Pharisees, Sadducee’s, Samaritans, etc.) and not even given a mention in the Old Testament. This should be a very interesting lesson from a very good teacher.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Sharon & Bob Schnakenberg and Sister & Gannett Backus
85 members + 2 visitors = 87 total
New CUC Member
Please welcome our newest member Jim Taylor ( Claudia Phelps’ brother)
CUC Fall Retreat
The CUC Retreat this past week at Amicolola Lodge was a really great experience for those 48 CUC members who were able to attend, thanks especially to the fine interesting and inspiring program led by Dr. Joe McKechnie on the theme of “Under Construction”. Thanks also goes to the organizers Tom Knight and George Waite and their spouses, and also to Joe Coelho who provided all the sound and video productions and equipment and the design and printing of the programs. Thanks also to Doug Tatom who provided his technical expertise and has recorded the sessions so that those CUC’ers who did not attend may be able to hear some of the most interesting and inspiring lessons which Dr. Joe presented. Thanks also to every one of the participants who joined actively in the discussion groups and in various other ways to make this retreat very special.
CUC Neighborhood Care Groups
Sandy Griffin and Kris Taylor have organized our large class into groups by geographical locations so that if someone needs a helping hand, transportation, or whatever, we will be aware of who lives near us who can come assist when and if help of some sort is needed. Here are the coordinators for our Neighborhood Care Groups:
- Maureen Osborn – Marietta NCG
- Charlotte Burroughs – Alpharetta NCG
- Sandy Griffin – Woodstock NCG
- Margie Avery – Roswell 30076 NCG
- Martha Jane Mason and Sharon Erdman – Roswell 30075 NCG
Christmas is coming!
The annual CUC Christmas Party will be Tuesday, December 3, 6-10 PM at the Metropolitan Club. This is the biggest and best CUC party of the year. Be sure you have marked your calendars! The cost will be $40 per person and the reservations will need to be in by November 17th. Be sure to pick up your bag for the white elephant gift exchange. The sign-up sheet will be passed this Sunday. Contact MariAnna Brown with any questions.
Operation Christmas Child
Yes, Christmas is coming! Start collecting your goodies to put in the boxes for Operation Christmas Child which will be distributed and then collected by Lynn Roberts on November 18th and 25th.
The Paint Lick Pickers – A Bluegrass Celebration
On this Sunday, Oct. 13 at 3 p.m. in the RUMC Chapel there is a Sounds of the Spirit Concert not to be missed! The Paint Lick Pickers is a bluegrass band composed of members of the music ministry at Alpharetta UMC. The band members have a variety of musical experiences and specialties, but the one thing they share is a love of bluegrass music. You will hear familiar hymns, popular tunes, and some true bluegrass classics. And it is free to the public.
RUMC Wednesday Night Out Dinner
Serving hours: 4:45 – 6:30 pm, take out available until 6:45 pm
WNO Menu for October 16:
- Cheese Tortellini with Garlic and Herb Alfredo
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, Garlic Bread Sticks
- Tomato Basil Soup, Featured Salad Bar
- Triple Chocolate Cake
Gibbs Gardens Senior Trip
Jeff Ross is setting up a trip for the Seniors for Friday Oct. 25th to Gibbs Garden. The plan is to meet at the church at 9am and return by 3pm.
Be sure to get your Shingles shots and your flu shots!
Box Tops and Flip Tops, etc.
Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on bringing in those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
Save and bring in those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
And remember to set up accounts and use your purchases at Publix and Amazon Smile to support Murphy Harpst.
- Dick Anthony – Still hospitalized at Northside Hospital Cumming for recovery from pneumonia, multiple myeloma, and further diagnostic tests. He would like to see anyone that wants to come. Friendly faces might help him to get back to himself.
- Julian Belote – For relief of pain and rapid recovery following right hip fracture last Monday
- Tom Cantrell – as he determines treatment for stage 1 bladder cancer
- Barbara Davis – hospitalized twice recently with blood clots in her legs and lungs
- Johnny Johnson and Donna as they determine course of therapy for his pancreatic cancer and return to their old home in Roswell
- George Martin and Sandy as George recovers at home from major surgery and determines further treatment. He appreciates the cards, emails, and texts, but is not quite ready for visitors.
- Betty Smith for good recovery following back surgery as she recuperates.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney and (Mr.) Pat as she continues to battle multiple myeloma.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor (at firstname.lastname@example.org) of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list)
- Babs and Shaw Skillings – October 22, 1966 – 53 years!
- Oct. 13 – Paint Lick Pickers Bluegrass Concert
- Oct. 25 – RUMC Gibbs Garden Senior Trip
- Oct. 29 – Homestretch Golf Tournament
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club
- Dec. 5, 6, 7 – RUMC Christmas Gift Show