Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?”
Matthew 11:3 (NLT)
Sunday, September 29, 2019
Is it OK for Christians to Have Doubts?
Mark Goodwin has the lesson for CUC this Sunday. The title of the lesson — “Is it OK for Christians to Have Doubts?”. We have really enjoyed and gotten a lot out of his previous lessons which are inspirational and always give us food for thought.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Nancy & Dave Wistrand, Jan Ligon, and Norma Taylor.
76 Members +1 new member + 4 guests+ speaker = 82
New CUC Member
Welcome our newest CUC member, Jim Morman. Jim has been an RUMC member for a while, but is joining CUC after the recent loss of his wife, Sandy.
CUC Fall Small Group Dinners are being organized with the hostesses now notified about the names of their guests. This is a great opportunity for 108(!) of us to get to know our CUC classmates better while enjoying a great time out.! Thank you to Kris Taylor and Mary Serafina for organizing this.
CUC SMALL GROUPS
Participation in a small group has been a blessing to many members of the CUC Class. This Sunday there will again be a short announcement about small groups and an informal meeting after the class (in the back of the room near the piano) to provide information to those interested in being a part of this ministry. If you have questions or would like to join a group please contact Gale or Roger Davis.
CUC Fall Retreat
The theme of our CUC retreat, led by Dr. Joe McKechnie will be “Under Construction”. About 53 of our CUC members plan to relax and commune with God and nature at the Lodge in the Amicalola Falls State Park, October 8-10, in the splendid north GA Mountains.
For participants, payment of $78 each for extra retreat expenses is now due. Make checks payable to CUC class with “CUC retreat” in the memo line. If you have any questions contact George Waite or Tom Knight.
CUC Neighborhood Care Groups
Coming soon! Sandy Griffin and Kris Taylor are starting work to organize our large class into groups by geographical locations so that if someone needs a helping hand, transportation, or whatever, we will be aware of who lives near us who can come assist when and if help of some sort is needed.
Christmas is coming!
The annual CUC Christmas Party will be Tuesday, December 3, 6-9 PM. This is the biggest and best CUC party of the year. Be sure you have marked your calendars! The cost will be $37 per person and the reservations will need to be in by November 17th.
RUMC Wednesday Night Dinner
Serving hours: 4:45-6:30 pm, take out available until 6:45 pm
WNO Menu for October 2:
- Meatloaf and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes served with a Tomato Demi-glace
- Parmesan Sweet Peas, Fresh Buttered Yeast Roll, Featured Salad Bar
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Believe Benefit Celebration
Join your CUC friends for an unforgettable evening of magic, music, cheesecake and coffee on this coming Thursday, October 3rd at 7pm in the Fellowship Hall. We will be reserving tables of 8 for the CUC Class. For questions call Claudia Phelps or Garlinn Story.
This is an event celebrating the work of Jane Riley and Greg Davidson and Believe Ministries as they continue to share the Gospel and reach the world for Christ.
God in the Midst of Thorns
This is the title of the book written by Todd and Liz Chancey, written under the pen names of Christopher and Hilda Talley.
They will be at RUMC for a book signing/small talk on 10/9, 4-7 in the Trinity Cafe. Many of us knew Todd and Liz when they were here at RUMC. Rev. Todd Chancey is now the Senior Pastor at First United Methodist of ALCOA.
Christopher and Hilda Talley were living what they thought was the American dream. They had two beautiful and healthy daughters, a comfortable home, cars, clothes, food on the table, a wonderful faith community, and two terrific jobs they loved. They played at life just as hard as they worked for their lifestyle, traveling in the United States and to foreign lands as often as possible.
But in 1999, that all came crashing down. Hilda went from a happy and healthy person to someone who struggles for every breath she takes, after an inadequately trained pesticide tech came into her office. Two minutes after he left, she was fighting for her life. The chemical permanently damaged her lungs and vocal cords and led to two debilitating diseases: reactive airways dysfunction syndrome and vocal cord dysfunction. Their family life changed instantly.
In God in the Midst of Thorns, Christopher and Hilda share their story, a story intertwined with the testament of God’s love and the power of Christian community, as they began their journey of learning to live a new normal. The Talleys discuss how, in their struggle for understanding, they both found a new and deeper relationship with God.
22nd Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
Coming up soon and sign up numbers are down. This spectacular event funds the operations of the RUMC Foundation, Inc. where investment earnings distribute over $150,000 a year to phenomenal causes! So make sure you head on over to RUMC.com/golf and get yourself and/or your buddies registered to play in the 22nd Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament, Monday, October 7, 2019, at the Woodmont Golf Club, Canton, GA! Sign up to play, or a foursome with your friends, volunteer, or become a sponsor. Questions? Ask George Waite, Lynn Adcock or Shaw Skillings.
Gibbs Gardens Senior Trip
Jeff Ross is setting up a trip for the Seniors for Friday Oct. 25th to Gibbs Garden. The plan is to meet at the church at 9am and return by 3pm.
- George Martin was out of surgery as of 7PM Thursday evening. It was a very big surgery and lasted nearly 4 hours. He’s in ICU for 24-48 hrs. Now missing his right colon but soldiering on without it! Prior to surgery his heart rate was so low that the anesthesiologist was very reluctant to approve the surgery but George was very insistent and got thru it ok. He will be in the hospital for 7-10 days and recuperation will likely take a bit longer due to his age. Thank you so very much for your prayers, your concern and your friendship. We are so blessed to have our CUC friends and we are both eager to get back! Sandy
- Dick Anthony – was hospitalized at Northside Hospital Cumming for recovery from recent complications from chemotherapy and then going to rehab
- Betty Smith for good recovery following surgery for a lumbar decompression and fusion. She is in rehab at Manor Care on Johnson Ferry Road.
- Johnny Johnson and Donna, who recently moved, as Johnny has been found to have pancreatic cancer and will be determining his course of therapy.
- Maureen and Gene Osborne and their daughter Michelle who is recovering well. She will go home (maybe as soon as Sunday or Monday). Michelle is very rare patient to have had this type of event happen with absolutely no side effects so far and no further required therapy. She’s apparently healing very quickly other than some headaches expected for several weeks until brain completely heals. Prayers definitely work! Please thank everyone at CUC-the outpouring of cards, emails, texts has been quite overwhelming! God Bless, Gene & Maureen.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Her condition has improved and she hopes to stop chemo soon. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
- Rev. Mike Long as he continues to deal with health problems
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor of any CUC members who need to be added, updated, or removed from the list)
- Stella Boayue – Oct 2
- Wanda Taylor – Oct 2
- Barbara Zellner – Oct 4
–( none )–
- Oct. 3 -7 PM – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
- Oct. 8-10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Oct. 29 – Homestretch Golf Tournament
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club
- Dec. 5 , 6 , 7 – RUMC Christmas Gift Show