A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 (ESV)
Sunday, September 15, 2019
Father Joe, The Man Who Saved My Soul
Alan Kennedy, another of CUC’s favorite speakers, has our lesson for September 15. He will be teaching from a book entitled, “Father Joe, The Man Who Saved My Soul”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Donna & Vince Grosse and Beth & Bob Hamilton
105 members +2 visitors + 1 speaker = 108 !
CUC Dinners for 6-10
CUC Fall Small Group Dinners for 6, 8, or 10 people are being organized. This is a great opportunity to get to know your CUC classmates better while enjoying a great time out. If you would like to attend but have not had the opportunity to sign up in class contact Kris Taylor.
CUC SMALL GROUPS
Participation in a small group has been a blessing to many members of the CUC Class. This Sunday there will be a short announcement about small groups and an informal meeting after the class (in the back of the room near the piano) to provide information to those interested in being a part of this ministry. If you have questions please contact Gale or Roger Davis.
CUC Fall Retreat
About 53 of our CUC members plan to relax and commune with God and nature at the CUC Fall Retreat at the Lodge in the Amicalola Falls State Park, October 8-10, in the splendid north GA Mountains. Information about amount and when payment will be due for extra retreat expenses will be coming soon. If you have any questions contact George Waite or Tom Knight.
Coming soon! Sandy Griffin and Kris Taylor are starting work to organize our large class into groups by geographical locations so that if someone needs a helping hand, transportation, or whatever, we will be aware of who lives near us who can come assist when and if help of some sort is needed.
RUMC Wednesday Night Dinner
Serving hours: 4:45 – 6:30 pm, take out available until 6:45pm
WNO Menu for September 18:
Lasagna Bolognese, Roasted Italian Veggie Medley, Garlic Bread Sticks, Featured Salad Bar, Mini Cannoli .
Jacob Crane, Director of Hospitality is now selling frozen take home meals out of the kitchen. Each meal is in a microwavable container that is dishwasher safe Each container is $5.00 apiece and contains 2 servings per container.
RUMC Sunday Evening Outreach
RUMC’s new bi-monthly ministry outreach of a Sunday evening service at Vickery Rose Adult Community, the retirement community at 295 E. Crossville Road, will continue on September 22nd. There is the hope that the service could be a mission outpost for the church, but also a fun and inspirational service option for RUMC members who would like to experience Sunday Evening worship. Bonnie White is the pianist and Jeff Ross is the preacher for the “Vespers” type service held in the theater room at Vickery Rose.
Believe Benefit Celebration
Join your CUC friends for an unforgettable evening of magic, music, cheesecake and coffee on Thursday, October 3rd at 7 pm in the Fellowship Hall. We will be reserving tables of 8 for the CUC Class. We have 38 CUC reservations so far! For free tickets see Claudia Phelps or Garlinn Story.
This is an event celebrating the work of Jane Riley and Greg Davidson and Believe Ministries as they continue to share the Gospel and reach the world for Christ. Your ticket will assure you a seat…and they are going faster than ever this year. Our deadline to order tables and desert is September 25, so please request your tickets by then…the sooner the better!
22nd Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
Before your calendar gets filled up, make sure you head on over to RUMC.com/golf and get yourself and your buddies registered to play in the 22nd Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament, Monday, October 7, 2019, at the Woodmont Golf Club, Canton, GA!
This spectacular event funds the operations of the RUMC Foundation, Inc. where investment earnings distribute over $150,000 a year to phenomenal causes! Sign up to play, or a foursome with your friends, volunteer, or become a sponsor. Questions? Ask George Waite or Lynn Adcock
Hurricane Disaster Relief
RUMC is sending about one team a month to Panama City FL area. A gift for that goes into regular RUMC donations.
Information from Linda Boswell:
- UMCOR donations can go to RUMC but should be designated on the memo line as to whether it is donated to general use or specifically for the Bahamas.
- Red Cross donations can be done on-line by credit card to the US Red Cross or to the Bahama Islands Red Cross.
- Matthew 25 Ministries is a ministry founded by a Methodist minister, and goes into disaster areas with all kinds of aid as soon as they can possibly be safe to go. They have very high ratings as a not for profit agency. Matthew 25 Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, Ohio 45242
RUMC Name Tags
If you would like a magnetic RUMC name tag please sign the appropriate clip board which will be passed in CUC or contact Gale Davis
Don’t forget your donations of food for North Fulton Community Charities during the month of September.
(Also your Boxtops and flip tops for Redbird Schools and McDonald House)
- Myra Belote whose new hip replacement has slipped out of place causing severe pain
- Babs Skillings for relief of pain following a fall which fractured several vertebrae
- Betty Smith writes, Dear CUC Friends:
I cleared all of my doctor’s appointments and I’m now ready for the surgery. It will be September 17 at St. Joseph’s Hospital for a lumbar decompression and fusion, It doesn’t sound like fun but I think the end results will be worth it. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
- Dick Anthony – as he deals with Shingles and Multiple Myeloma. Also continue to pray for Laverne Lamb as she provides care for Dick and manages the many appointments that are necessary throughout each week.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Her condition has improved and she hopes to stop chemo soon. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Betty and Don Gay at home with assistance
- Larry Douglas back to class less than one week after having his gallbladder removed!
- Rose Lappe back to CUC, feeling much improved.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for CUC members, and for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor of any CUC members who need to be added or removed from this list)
- Janet Thomas – September 19
- John Sharp – September 19
- Betty and Don Gay – September 16, 1956 – 63 years!
- Rose and Jim Lappe – September 16, 1967 – 52 years
- Beverly & Doug Tatom – September 19, 1998 – 21 years
- Oct. 3 -7 PM – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
- Oct. 8 – 10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Oct. 29 – Homestretch Golf Tournament
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club
- Dec. 5, 6, 7 – RUMC Christmas Gift Show