“My grace is sufficient for you”.
2 Corinthians 12:9
Sunday, September 1, 2019
Christians Without Wax
Dr. Jim McCormick, one of our very favorite speakers, will be back with CUC for the next two weeks. This Sunday his topic is “Christians Without Wax”. The scripture is Matthew 23:27-28.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Jeannie & Jim Ehlers, Linda Mooney, and Steve Covert.
98 Members + 8 guests including teacher = 106!!
RUMC Name Tags
If you would like a magnetic RUMC name tag please sign the appropriate clip board which will be passed in CUC or contact Gale Davis
CUC Fall Retreat – October 8-10
Last chance to book rooms at the Amicalola Falls Lodge!
About 56 of our CUC members plan to relax and commune with God and nature at the CUC Fall Retreat at the Lodge in the Amicalola Falls State Park in the splendid north GA Mountains.
We have 40 rooms reserved. The reserved rooms will be released September 6th! Reserve your room for the nights of October 8 and 9th by calling 800 573-9656 and indicating that you are attending the RUMC/CUC retreat. The room rate is $154.10 which includes Lodge Service Fee and state and local taxes.
We will have one common meal together on Wednesday evening. The other meals will be on your own. There is the excellent Maple Restaurant on site and nearby Dahlonega has many fine restaurants. Each person attending will be asked to contribute about $75 each to common expenses (common meal, conference room with coffee service, and the speaker’s room and meals). Make your room reservation by September 6th to obtain the CUC rates.
Our leader will be Dr. Joe McKechnie, associate minister here at Roswell. The subject matter is planned to be spiritual but light. Our first session will begin Tuesday evening October 8th and will conclude on Thursday morning October 10th. Wednesday afternoon will be free to enjoy all the attractions the area, the park, and the lodge have to offer.
If you have not yet signed up on the Sunday clipboard and may plan to attend or have any questions contact George Waite or Tom Knight.
Seniors Enriched Living
Seniors Enriched Living (SEL): Tue/Thu, September 17 – November 7 in the Dodson Youth Center. Continuing education classes for ages 50+ available on such topics as history, art, behavioral economics, genealogy, and Music Fun, taught by RUMC’s Worship Arts Ministry. Cost is $60 for as many classes as you want to take! Register HERE or 770.587.3750.
RUMC Sunday Evening Outreach
RUMC’s new bi-monthly ministry outreach of a Sunday evening service at Vickery Rose Adult Community, the retirement community at 295 E. Crossville Road, will continue on September 8th and 22nd. There is the hope that the service could be a mission outpost for the church, but also a fun and inspirational service option for RUMC members who would like to experience Sunday Evening worship. Bonnie White is the pianist and Jeff Ross is the preacher for the “Vespers” type service held in the theater room at Vickery Rose.
Best wishes to Robin Hicks, Daphne Fradl, and Donna & Johnny Johnson who have all moved away from our area. They will be missed!
- Larry Douglas who is having gallbladder removal surgery on Tuesday
- Betty and Don Gay – back in their own home where Betty now has a caregiver
- Bill Griffin as he recovers from a mild heart attack and stent placement
- Babs Skillings for relief of pain following a fall which fractured several vertebrae
- Betty Smith as she anticipates back surgery
- Edna Smith as she deals with various health problems.
- From MariAnna Brown: Please continue to pray for my great nephew, Jack, and his parents, Dianna and Chris. Jack remains in the NICU as he has been more than 126 days. While he has gotten stronger and made progress he is still a very sick baby. He now weighs 6 lbs 5 oz, up from his birth weight of 1 lb 3 oz. Jack’s lungs were damaged from MRSA, and he can’t breathe without strong oxygen. This weekend the doctor will lower the oxygen level and make other changes. Please pray that he can maintain his life with the changes and the hole in his heart will not require surgery.
- Dick Anthony – as he deals with Shingles and Multiple Myeloma. Also continue to pray for Laverne Lamb as she provides care for Dick and manages the many appointments that are necessary throughout each week.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Her condition has improved and she hopes to stop chemo soon. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Jeff Coelho – back to CUC Class as he is making a good recovery from major cervical spine surgery
- From Gail Earman, former CUC member – Diana (Frei) and I are so appreciative of the CUC Newsletter and look forward to it every week. Just wanted to give you an update on Diana’s health. Dr. is thrilled with her blood results as she continues to deal with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I asked if we could erase the 6 month life expectancy and he said it sure looks that way. He said at that point, that he never will give a specific life expectancy to a patient because he does not presume to know more than God. The basis on the 6 month time was given by the radiologist oncology chief, who said without radiation that would be the expected time. Diana is also receiving infusion every three weeks which is working beautifully at keeping her blood levels normal. Praise God for His work. Prayers by so many have been a blessing and we want to thank the members of CUC for their continued prayers and concerns. She looks great and is functioning very well. Thanks again. Blessings to all.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor of any CUC members who need to be added or removed from this list)
- Ann Douglas – Sept. 1
- LaVerne Lamb – Sept. 3
- Virginia Hardy– Sept. 5
- Lynn and Jim Adcock – Sept. 1, 1967 – 52 years
- Donna & Johnny Johnson – Sept. 2, 1972 – 47 years
- Jeannie and Jim Ehlers – Sept. 2, 1967 – 52 years
- Lynda and Bob Leckie – Sept. 2, 1962 -57 years !
- Gloria and Jack Stadler – Sep 4, 1954 – 65 years!!
- Oct. 3 -7PM – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
- Oct. 8-10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Oct. 29 – Homestretch Golf Tournament
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club
- Dec. 5,6,7 – RUMC Christmas Gift Show