Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over,
will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38
Sunday, August 11, 2019
God’s Mission Today
CUC’s speaker this Sunday will be Rev. Scott Parrish, Associate Director, Center for Congregational Excellence of The North Georgia Conference of The United Methodist Church with focus on Mission and Disaster Response. Scott’s topic is “God’s Mission Today”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Jill Head, Jill Caviness, and Peggy & Mac McMcNay
5 guests + 92 members = 97 total
Welcome Our Newest CUC Members!
- Pat Ball
- Cheryl McEntee
- Ann O’Meara
CUC Wednesday Night Out
This past Wednesday evening 37 CUC members enjoyed the last of our summer CUC dinners out at Peach & the Porkchop (owned by MariAnna and Fred Brown’s daughter and son-in -law). We enjoyed some of MariAnna’s delicious cake!
Thanks to Larry and Ann Douglas and Grady and Pat Phillips and Johnny and Donna Johnson who coordinated our dinners out this summer.
RUMC Wednesday Night Out Restarts
This coming Wednesday evening, 4:45 – 6:30 PM, RUMC’s WNO begins again where we can continue our good WNO fellowship with CUC friends, in our Fellowship Hall, while enjoying Jacob Crane’s great cooking!
CUC Fall Retreat – October 8-10
Relax and commune with God and nature at the CUC Fall Retreat hosted by the Amicalola Falls Lodge in the Amicalola Falls State Park in the splendid north GA Mountains. Amicalola is just a short hour drive from Roswell and is near many fall attractions such as Burt’s Pumpkin Farm, downtown Dahlonega, Ellijay apple country, etc.
Our leader will be Dr. Joe McKechnie, associate minister here at Roswell. Our first session will begin Tuesday evening October 8th and will conclude on Thursday morning October 10th. Wednesday afternoon, will be free to enjoy all the attractions the area, the park, and the lodge have to offer.
We have 40 rooms reserved. Start booking now! Reserve your room for the nights of October 8 and 9th by calling 800 573-9656 and indicating that you are attending the RUMC/CUC retreat. The room rate is $154.10 which includes Lodge Service Fee and state and local taxes.
We will have one common meal together on Wednesday evening. The other meals will be on your own. There is the excellent Maple Restaurant on site and nearby Dahlonega has many fine restaurants. Each person attending will be asked to contribute $75 each to common expenses (common meal, conference room with coffee service, and the speaker’s room and meals). Make your room reservation by September 6th to obtain the CUC rates. Sign-up on the clipboard Sunday to let us know of your intentions to attend. Questions? Contact George Waite or Tom Knight.
CUC Baseball Outing
A reprise of a popular event from several years ago …
Braves Baseball with Bill on his Birthday!
A small but lucky number of CUCers will be going to see the Braves play the Washington Nationals on Thursday, Sept 5. It’s a night game and the limited numberof tickets are $20 apiece.
The seats are in the 1st and 2nd rows of the top section along the third base line. Tickets are going fast, so act quickly. There are still some available. Questions or reserve tickets? Contact Bill Scott
RUMC Sunday Evening Outreach
Come and help in RUMC’s new bi-monthly ministry outreach to Vickery Rose Adult Community. Vickery Rose is a retirement community located at 295 E. Crossville Road. We have started a Sunday evening service there.
Bonnie White is the pianist and Jeff Ross is the preacher. The service is a “Vespers” type service. Bonnie and Jeff are hoping that the service could be a mission outpost for the church, but also a fun and inspirational service option for RUMC members who would like to experience Sunday Evening worship.
The service is held in the Theater Room at Vickery Rose where the seating is comfortable and the acoustics are outstanding. The next Sunday Service will be on August 18.
Seniors Enriched Living
Seniors Enriched Living (SEL): Tue/Thu, September 17 – November 7 in the Dodson Youth Center. Continuing education classes for ages 50+ available on such topics as history, art, behavioral economics, genealogy, and Music Fun, taught by RUMC’s Worship Arts Ministry. Cost is $60 for as many classes as you want to take! Register: SEL or 770.587.3750.
Georgia Ensemble Theater
A number of CUC’ers have season tickets to Georgia Ensemble. Our tickets are for Series 6 (Thursday nights) and the first show is “Cat on the Hot Tin Roof” Sept 19. Look on line ( https://get.org/ ) or call GET at 770-641-1260 for tickets.
If you’d like to join us for dinner please let Gale Davis know so she can add you to our group list.
Box Tops and Flip Tops, etc.
- Before the Box Top plan is completely discontinued and changed to an online system, please keep on bringing in those accumulated Box Tops for Education for Red Bird Missions.
- Save and bring in those flip tops for Ronald McDonald Houses!
- And remember to set up accounts and use your purchases at Publix and Amazon Smile to support Murphy Harpst.
- Dick Anthony – Continue to pray as he now deals with Shingles. His chemotherapy was suspended for this week but he hopes to restart next Monday. The chemotherapy has been effective in improving Dick’s situation. Also, continue to pray for Laverne Lamb as she provides care for Dick and manages the many appointments that are necessary throughout each week. They both miss being able to be in CUC on Sunday mornings.
- Jeff Coelho as he is making a good recovery from major cervical disk surgery but is still facing a long period of convalescence
- Betty Smith as she anticipates back surgery
- Dr. Mike Long as he recovers from surgery
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Her condition has improved and she hopes to stop chemo soon. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
(Please help to keep this list up to date by notifying the editor of any CUC members who need to be added or removed from this list)
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Larry Douglas – Aug 12
- Gale Davis – Aug 14
- Shaw Skillings – Aug 17
- Norma and Dave Hills – August 11, 1957-62 years!
- Ann and Don McNew – August 12, 1961-58 years!
- Myra & Julian Belote – August 1989-30 years!
- Sue and Hugh Gardner – August 15, 1970 – 49 years
- September 5 – Baseball Outing
- Oct. 3 – 7 PM – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
- Oct. 8 – 10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Dec. 3 – CUC Christmas Party at Metropolitan Club