“Jesus repeated the question: Simon, son of John, do you love me?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.” “Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.”
Sunday – May 5, 2019
We are happy to welcome Bob Fletcher back as our teacher this Sunday. He has an intriguing lesson title of “Mission of the Church” with a subtitle of “Fishermen and Shepherds” The lesson will come from the scripture passage: John 21:1-17.
April 28, 2019 – Bob Fletcher – “Suddenly their eyes were opened” Luke 24:13-35
May 5, 2019 – Bob Fletcher – “Mission of the Church” John 21:1-17
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Charlotte Buroughs and Bob Morisey and Babs & Shaw Skillings
84 + 1 Visitor + 1 Teacher = 86
Charlie Mason also received checks amounting to $150 for the MUST Ministries summer lunch program.
Members wishing to make donations to the summer lunch program should make out their checks to CUC and include “MUST summer lunches” on the line for notes. These checks can be placed in the collection basket any Sunday for the next two months.
Parking Sunday – May 5, 2019
The 5th Annual RUMC BBQ is this Sunday:
The Parking lot behind the Fellowship hall (with the handicap parking) will be blocked off for the BBQ.
If you need a ride on campus, look for the Hospitality carts, they will be available to get people to the Sanctuary, “B” building and the parking lots.
RUMC 5th Annual BBQ
The 5th Annual Church Barbeque will be held Sunday, May 5th, on the Commons from noon – 1:30pm.
Please sign-up if you plan to attend at www.rumc.com/bbq. There will be BBQ from Williamson brothers, a jumping room for the kids and an ice cream truck.
The Garage Sale Extravaganza is Here!
- Friday, May 3, shop 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 4, shop 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Through the generosity of those who DONATE and those who BUY, job seekers enjoy a hot meal every time they attend Job Networking.
We can use your help any day, anytime. Check rumc.com/garagesale or see Gale Davis, Mary Serafina, or Dee Scott.
Gale Davis reminded us about the past Monday night’s attendance as an example of how active the Job Networking program is:
- 240 people total attendance
- 194 for dinner
- 77 first time attendees
- 19 people getting interview appropriate clothing from “Attire for Hire”
- 85 volunteers – many from CUC
- You will see many other CUC members there.
Wednesday Night out
Wednesday night class dinners will commence May 8 with the first outing at 5:30pm at:
Provino’s Italian Restaurant [Menu] – 1255 Grimes Bridge Rd., Roswell.
Sign-up sheet will be passed on Sunday. For questions, contact Larry Douglas
The Annual Noah’s Ark Field Day will be held on Saturday, May 18. This is a great event in the life of our church and we are hopeful that you will find some capacity in which you feel called to serve.
This makes such a difference for so many. The event will be held at Grimes Bridge park in Roswell. To register, go to: http://www.rumc.com/special-needs/
The Hospitality Committee has requested that a greeter be placed at the North door in the B building next to our CUC class before the 11:00 am service starting in May and continuing during the odd months.
With our class ending at 10:30 am, a greeter from our class would be the ideal candidate. Please advise Larry Douglas if you can help.
Must Summer Lunch Program
Sandy Griffin reminded us about the MUST Summer Lunch program coming up. CUC has provided 5400 lunches in the past couple of years.
We have $800 put aside for this purpose and it costs about $1300 each summer. Contributions will be needed.
Thanks to the Lanhams for planning the great Chick-Fil-a trip and to Roger Davis for driving the bus.
Thank you CUC! for your generous contributions and help to support the HomeStretch Road Race Congregation Challenge. CUC donated $1645 with other donations of $225 making a total of $1870 from RUMC. Hope we win the Challenge!
Box Tops and Flip Tops
Keep on bringing in those accumulated box tops and flip tops for Red Bird Missions and Ronald McDonald Houses!
Other Opportunities to Support Our Missions
Be sure to sign up with Publix and with Amazonsmile.com to support Murphy Harpst Children’s Home. How-to information is available in class.
CUC Weekly Newsletter
The usual editor of the CUC newsletter and sender of special announcements during the week will not be available during the next couple of weeks due to travel plans. Thankfully CUC has a very good back-up plan in Doug Tatom who has agreed to keep CUC email communications going along with his usual excellent CUC website. From today until Sunday, May 19th please send anything you wish to communicate to CUC members to Doug Tatom. Do not send to the address from which you receive this week’s email!
- Bob Hamilton – Tuesday, May 7
- Elaine Estill – Wednesday, May 8
- Pat Phillips – Thursday, May 9
- Lesleigh & Jeff Coelho – Thursday, May 9
- Gayle & George Crolius – Thursday, May 9
- Marianna Brown asks for prayers for her niece – Diana, her Husband Chris and baby Jack. The Doctor had to take Jack at 25 weeks because Diana had preeclampsia. Jack weighs 1lb 3oz and is on a ventilator. Please pray for healing for Diana and strength, the Doctors have given Jack a 60% chance of survival.
- George Crolius – asks for prayers for the daughter of his 1st Cousin Silva. Her daughter Michelle has been diagnosed with terminal Liver cancer and been given approximately 4 more months. Michelle has been Silva’s primary care giver for the past several years.
- Dick Anthony has been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Dick’s schedule includes two treatments per week if blood tests are favorable. Please keep Dick in your prayers as he begins this series of treatments and consultations with his doctors.
- Laverne Lamb could use some prayers as she has been suffering from a variety of medical problems recently.
- Rose Lappe – pray for a fast recovery from her surgery.
- Janice Scalzo – pray for good recovery and relief of pain following her recent major knee surgery
- Shirley May and Barbara Davis who are still recovering from the effects of Shingles
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple Myeloma. Her condition has improved but she will need to continue chemo. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
From a Facebook post from Linda Temples on May 1, 2019:
Linda is back on the kidney transplant list after being taken off due to collapse in January and has a donor. But, her numbers are so stable that they are postponing surgery until more need arises. She says, “Thank you to all my wonderful prayer warriors. God is so good! Praise his Holy name!”
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- May 2 – 4 – RUMC’s Annual Garage Sale Extravaganza
- May 5 – RUMC Annual BBQ
- May 8 – Wednesday Night Class dinner at 5:30pm at: Provino’s Italian Restaurant
- May 9 – RUMC Men’s Breakfast at 6:45 am
- May 18 – Annual Noah’s Ark Field Day
- June 26 – CUC Picnic Potluck
- Oct. 8 -10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Oct. 21-23, 2020 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College