“Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing, yet, if you say so, I will let down the nets….they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break.”
Sunday, April 14, 2019
Marion Brown, Associate Pastor – Missions and Outreach, will be presenting our lesson this Sunday. The title of her lesson is: “Change”. The scripture verses for the day are stories that will be discussed and connected which are found in Luke 5:1-11 and Luke 19:28-40. We are happy to have Marion back. She was with us in September of 2018. We look forward to her presentation this Sunday.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Louise Booysen and Sharon & Bob Schnakenberg
Sunday, April 7
93 CUC members + 1 teacher = 94
Sunday April 7
Note: There will be no Sunday School on Easter Sunday.
CUC Chick-fil-A Tour
The Chick-fil-A tour is Monday, April 15th. We will meet at the church at noon and board the buses and leave at 12:15. Google says it will take us 59 minutes, which will leave time to get there, park and be ready for the tour which is SOLD OUT. Tour is 1:30 – 3:30.
- remember to eat lunch prior to coming to the church
- wear comfortable walking shoes
- business casual attire
PLEASE, call or text Patricia Lanham if you are not going to be joining us for the tour. See you at noon!
CUC Communications Reminder
If you have something to be communicated to CUC members during the week or to be included in the CUC weekly newsletter, please send it to Sue Waite’s email address, not to the address that you receive the weekly CUC newsletter from. That address is mainly used to send the large number of emails to the whole CUC address list and is not checked for incoming messages on a regular basis and important messages are sometimes missed.
If you missed the small meeting after CUC class last week, GOLF CART DRIVERS are needed to drive the 3 battery operated golf carts for 30 minute shifts on Sunday morning.
- The times are 9:00 to 9:30, 10:00 to 10:30 and 12:00 to ~12:15
- We are looking for at least 9 drivers each Sunday with “Big Smiles” to drive four (4) shifts over a one month period.
- Routes will be defined and the opportunity to serve others will be unlimited.
- Contact Jim Boswell if you would be willing to help with any aspect of this hospitality ministry of our church.
This Tuesdays, April 16, is the last time to join other RUMC members for a Lenten lunch in the Fellowship Hall at noon, followed by a message from Dr. Jeff Ross. No reservations are required: cost for lunch is $6.
RUMC Prayer Walk
Mary Stokes spoke to the CUC Class this past Sunday, strongly encouraging members to set time apart to use all or part of the one-mile Prayer Walk which has been developed and upgraded on the RUMC campus. The stations start at the Magnolia and Mimosa corner parking lot and each one has a box which contains a prayer and supporting scriptures. The prayers for this period of Lent have been written by Dr. Harvey West.
Wednesday Night Out
Join us weekly from 4:45-6:30 p.m. for dinner in the Fellowship Hall. This week’s menu is:
- Chicken and Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo and Veggie Medley
- Garlic Bread Sticks, Salad Bar, Soup Du Jour
- Pineapple Cake
Job Networking Garage Sale
The Annual Garage Sale and Bake Sale benefiting Job Networking will be held May 2-4. Donated items can be dropped off at the trailer near the Fellowship Hall (building “E”) before and after worship services on Sundays, April 14, and 28.
Pick-up is offered for large items April 28-May 1; contact: Ann Gordon. This is now officially a “Garage Sale-Bake Sale-and now a “Plant Sale”! If anyone has plants they would like to donate they would love to have them.
Volunteers are needed to help with the sale and to donate “treasures.” For information or to volunteer: rumc.com/garagesale.
Bake Sale at Garage Sale
Mary Serafina is coordinating the bake sale (which was highly profitable last year) at the Garage Sale. Please sign up to contribute your own favorite baked goods. Plan to bring in your baked goods on May 1 between 2 and 4 PM.
Homestretch Road Race
Thank you to the CUC members who have donated generously to support the Homestretch Church Challenge and volunteered to help at the “Run the River” last Saturday, April 6. There were at least 27 CUC volunteers working at the race early in the morning on April 6th.
Box Tops and Flip Tops
Keep on bringing in those accumulated box tops and flip tops for Red Bird Missions and Ronald McDonald Houses!
- Bob Leckie – April 17
- Bonnie White – April 17
- -*- None -*-
- Barbara Davis – for continued improvement from a bad fall following eye surgery for effects of Shingles
- Rose Lappe for a fast recovery following her surgery which is scheduled for April 26th
- Janice Scalzo that her complicated knee surgery was a success and she soon will be back on her feet again and without pain
- Brenda Burrell requests prayers for her family after her daughter’s brother-in-law in China was found murdered.
- Shirley May who is still recovering from the effects of Shingles
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Her condition has improved but she will need to continue chemo. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- April 15– Chick-Fil-A tour
- May 2 – 4 – RUMC’s Annual Garage Sale Extravaganza
- June 26 – CUC Picnic Potluck
- Oct. 8 -10 – CUC 2019 Retreat Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Oct. 7 – RUMC Foundation Golf Tournament
- Oct. 21-23, 2020 – CUC annual retreat at Winshape at Berry College