I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans
12:1-2 (Old King James Version)
Bible Verse of the Week
This week’s Bible verse is one of Roger Davis’ favorites.
Sunday, October 21, 2018
“Yo Mama and Em”
Our teacher this Sunday is Rusty Gordon. Rusty has taught our class on a number of occasions. He has amused us and challenged us each time he is with us. We look forward to what he has to say this Sunday. Rusty’s lesson title is “Yo Mama and em”. His scripture reference is the second chapter of John.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Garlinn & Mike Story, Bonnie White, and Mary Kay Mills
Sunday, October 14
89 members, 2 visitors, 1 teacher, = Total 92
Sunday, October 14
Booth Western Art Museum
Wednesday, November 14th at 9:00 AM is planned for a CUC trip to the Booth Western Art Museum in Cartersville to see the Frederic Remington exhibit. Experience the biggest Remington exhibit ever in the South, with treasures from the Frederic Remington Art Museum and beyond. We will tour the museum and have lunch. Contact Patsy Lanham for more information.
CUC RETREAT BULLETIN
We are two weeks from our retreat and the general information about the retreat has been provided. Important information for this week is:
- All room reservations are now final and we are committed for all those who put down a deposit.
- If someone is interested in attending but has not made a reservation, please contact us immediately, and we will contact Winshape to determine if rooms are available.
- If you are interested in the tour of Martha Berry’s home, Oak Hill and Museum near the campus let us know. Check the website at http://www.berry.edu/oakhill/. If there is sufficient advance interest we may be able to get a tour guide for the group. Tickets are $7.00.
- We will be collecting checks for the remaining balance for the retreat this Sunday and on October 28. The amounts are:
a. Couple in double room – $31
b. Single in private room – $200
c. Single shared room – $130
If you have any questions please contact Gale or Roger Davis
CUC Christmas Party
Please join us for fun, fellowship and great food at the CUC Christmas Party, Monday, December 3 from 6 to 10 pm at the Metropolitan Club, 5895 Windward Parkway, Alpharetta, Georgia. $39 per person, cash or check. Please make checks payable to CUC with Christmas Party on the memo line. A cash bar will be available. If you have any questions please contact MariAnna Brown or a member of the social committee.
Saturday, October 20th: Great Day of Service!
Service Projects will include Rise Against Hunger, Venezuela Now! Food and Medicine Crate, RUMC Street Grace team, Prayer Quilt Ministry, and RUMC Outreach Choir. Bring your family, friends and neighbors to join us. Please visit www.rumc.com/gds for information on times and locations.
Wednesday Night Out (WNO)
Join us weekly from 4:45-6:30 p.m. for dinner in the fellowship hall.
Next week’s menu: Southern Fried Chicken, Macaroni & Cheese, Green Beans, Soup, Salad Bar
C3: Care.Converse.Connect – a Proactive Approach to Caring
Consider attending the last two of four round-table discussions on Tuesday evenings in October at 6:30 in the RUMC Dining room.
- Oct. 23: Guide to Legal Documents for Best Elder Care
- Oct. 30: The Next Right Step – a panel discussion.
Pick up a flyer for full details or contact Mary Stokes email@example.com or 770-261-741
Operation Christmas Child
Operation Christmas Child Shoe Boxes are now available—Please help fill boxes with gifts for children in impoverished countries around the world through Samaritans Purse.
Lynne Roberts will have boxes available in CUC class. Collection week is November 12-18 and you may bring your box in at any time between now and then on Sunday or leave it in the closet in our room. Lynn will collect them on the 12th and 18th of November or you can bring a filled box anytime. ( See Operation Christmas Child email from Dave Roberts, sent Oct. 17, for details)
Homestretch BBG in the Burbs
BBQ in the Burbs will be held on Sunday, October 28 from 2:00-6:00 pm on The Grounds at Roswell City Hall. This family friendly event includes amazing BBQ, music, kid’s zone, games and raffles. This event supports Homestretch proudly serving our community for 25 years. Get your tickets at https://homestretch.org/events/roswell-bbq-in-the-burbs/.
Required Minimum Distributions
Mark 12:17 – says, “Give Caesar what is his and give God what is His” (The Message)
When your Required Minimum Deduction (RMD) comes due consider sending all or part of it directly as your contribution to RUMC or one of it’s Mission Partners. That will help you save on your total taxable income when you pay your taxes. For more information contact Nancy Irwin at 770-261-1726 or firstname.lastname@example.org
RUMC Mission Booth
All proceeds realized from the sale of items at the RUMC Mission Booth at City Antiques are designated for missions. All proceeds realized from the October and November sales will be designated to the RUMC hurricane relief effort. You can help by donating collectibles, seasonal items, small furniture, and china. Drop off your donations at the RUMC front office. The booth is in City Antiques, which is located at 700 Holcomb Bridge Road.
Questions: Ann Gordon,
- ** None **
- Babs and Shaw Skillings – Oct 22, 1966 – 52 years!
- Jackie Hubbard – has had her 3rd right knee replacement. Please pray for this to be successful.
- Janet Skalzo as she recovers from knee replacement surgery
- Gale Earman and Diana Frei, former CUC members, need our prayers. Diana was diagnosed with lymphoma about three years ago. It has not gone well. She has had to have her spleen removed and part of her left lung. She has broken both hips and is wheel chair bound. She is also suffering from dementia. Gale is her sole caregiver and is understandably exhausted. They are receiving support from their church, but prayers, cards and notes would be uplifting.
- Peggy Rodway requests prayers for the family and friends of Larry Crisler, her brother-in-law, who passed away Thursday.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues her fight with cancer. Mary says they feel our CUC love and prayers wrapped around them.
- Jim Boswell is back to CUC following heart surgery and doing well
- Pastor Andrew Brunson is back home in the United States.
- Pray for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who remains in his ministry at Pastor Brunson’s church.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor (at email@example.com) can keep information current)
- Oct. 28 – Homestretch BBQ in the Burbs
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape
- Nov 14th – Booth Museum trip
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show
- Dec 3 – CUC Christmas Party at the Metropolitan Club