“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, and will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Bible Verse of the Week
The Bible verse of the week is from Gale Davis. It is one of her favorite verses.
Sunday, October 14, 2018
We Rejoice with Music
Our RUMC Interim Director of Worship Arts, Dr. Jerry Ulrich, will be our CUC speaker this Sunday.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Patricia Mashburn and Pat Stamps.
Sunday, October 7
Members 78, Teacher 1, Guests 1 – Total 80
Sunday, October 7
CUC RETREAT BULLETIN
We are three weeks from our retreat and the general information about the retreat was provided last week. Important information for this week is:
- Due to an unforeseen cancellation and our negotiations with Winshape, we do have rooms available. If you have not signed up and would like to attend please contact us immediately.
- If you are interested in the tour of Martha Berry’s home, Oak Hill and Museum near the campus let us know. Check the website at www.berry.edu/oakhill/. If there is sufficient advance interest we may be able to get a tour guide for the group. Tickets are $7.00. Let us know of your interest by Tuesday.
- We will be collecting checks for the remaining balance for the retreat this Sunday and on October 21 and 28. The amounts are:
- a. Couple in double room – $315
- b. Single in private room – $200
- c. Single shared room – $130
If you have any questions please contact Gale or Roger Davis
The CUC Retreat at WinShape Conference Center, October 31 – November 2, 2018 is rapidly approaching. We want to keep you informed as we move toward the date.
Arrival time is 3:00 -5:00 pm on Wednesday, October 31. We will gather in the meeting room at 5:30pm for a briefing before going to dinner at 6:00pm. The first session will begin at 7:45 pm. Our speakers and their sessions are set. Jeff Ross will be with us Wednesday evening to start the retreat. Tom Davis will lead the morning session on Thursday, then Jeff will lead the sessions Thursday evening and Friday morning ending with Communion.
Booth Western Art Museum
Wednesday, November 14th at 9:00 AM is planned for a CUC trip to the Booth Western Art Museum in Cartersville to see the Frederic Remington exhibit. Experience the biggest Remington exhibit ever in the South, with treasures from the Frederic Remington Art Museum and Beyond. We will tour the museum and have lunch. Details to follow and the sign up sheet will be passed on Sunday, October 14th for 28 folks. Contact Patsy Lanham for more information
CUC Christmas Party
Please join us for fun, fellowship and great food at the CUC Christmas Party, Monday, December 3 from 6 to 10 pm at the Metropolitan Club, 5895 Windward Parkway, Alpharetta, Georgia.
$39 per person, cash or check. Please make checks payable to CUC with Christmas Party on the memo line. A cash bar will be available. If you have any questions please contact MariAnna Brown or a member of the social committee.
Filling Crate for Venezuela
Venezuela’s economic collapse has resulted in medicine being unavailable or in extremely short supply along with severe food shortages that leave most people living on one meal a day. RUMC, through Venezuela Now! will send a crate of medicine and food to the Wesley Medical Center in Cabudare, Venezuela. These simple specific medications are not available to the average citizen and especially the poor. The specific food items are exactly the ingredients that go into a hearty soup.
The specific items are:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Ibuprofen (Advil)
- Infant Tylenol and Advil
- Children’s and Adult’s multi-vitamins
- Powdered infant formula
- Canned chicken
- Dried rice
- Dried beans
MariAnna Brown is putting a plastic container in our CUC class for these items this Sunday.
I Hear America Singing
The Michael O’Neal Singers open their 30th Anniversary concert season with I Hear America Singing, this Sunday at 3 p.m at RUMC.
Drawing inspiration from American poet Walt Whitman, this program celebrates the vitality, variety, and optimism of America which is reflected through the creative endeavor of all its people. Including choral classics, folk songs, and spirituals, I Hear America Singing reminds us that patriotism at its core consists of both pride of country and a mutual respect for each other.
Tickets are $15/$20 in advance and $20/$25 at the door. www.mosingers.com
C3: Care.Converse.Connect – a Proactive Approach to Caring
Consider attending all four or choose what is most applicable to you of four round -table discussions on Tuesday evenings in October at 6:30 in the RUMC Dining room.Oct. 23: Guide to Legal Documents for Best Elder Care, Oct. 30 The Next Right Step – a panel discussion. Pick up a flyer for full details or contact Mary Stokes: email@example.com or 770-261-1741
Wednesday Night Out (WNO)
Join us weekly from 4:45-6:30 p.m. for dinner in the fellowship hall.
Next week’s menu:
- Spanish Meatloaf with Gravy, Herbed Mashed Potatoes,
- Steamed Broccoli with Pickled Red Onions and Garlic, Yeast
- Rolls, Corn Chowder
Fall Festival Help Needed
The Children’s Ministry is in desperate need of some more volunteers for the Fall Festival. They’re looking for some help passing out information/concessions, helping direct children at carnival games, etc.
It’s on Thursday, October 18 at 5-7 p.m. They have two shifts 4:45-6 and 6-7:15. If you are able to help contact Lorin Tate, Children’s Ministry Operations Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, October 20th: Great Day of Service!
Service Projects will include Rise Against Hunger, Venezuela Now! Food and Medicine Crate, RUMC Street Grace team, Prayer Quilt Ministry, and RUMC Outreach Choir. Bring your family, friends and neighbors to join us. Please visit www.rumc.com/gds for information on times and locations.
Homestretch BBG in the Burbs
BBQ in the Burbs will be held on Sunday, October 28 from 2:00-6:00 on The Grounds at Roswell City Hall. This family friendly event includes amazing BBQ, music, kid’s zone, games and raffles. This event supports Homestretch proudly serving our community for 25 years. Get your tickets at https://homestretch.org/events/roswell-bbq-in-the-burbs/.
Required Minimum Distributions
Mark 12:17 – says, “Give Caesar what is his and give God what is His” (The Message)
When your Required Minimum Deduction (RMD) comes due consider sending all or part of it directly as your contribution to RUMC or one of it’s Mission Partners. That will help you save on your total taxable income when you pay your taxes. For more information contact Nancy Irwin at 770-261-1726 or email@example.com
RUMC Mission Booth
All proceeds realized from the sale of items at the RUMC Mission Booth at City Antiques are designated for missions. All proceeds realized from the October and November sales will be designated to the RUMC hurricane relief effort. You can help by donating collectibles, seasonal items, small furniture, and china. Drop off your donations at the RUMC front office. The booth is in City Antiques, which is located at 700 Holcomb Bridge Road. Questions: Ann Gordon, 770.490.7900
Publix Murphy Harpst Support
You can go to Publix.com/partners to be registered to Murphy Harpst as your tag will no longer work. The new system will only require you to give your phone number at checkout, but you must set up your account with Publix.
Model Railroad Open House
Every fall many of the members of the Piedmont Division of the National Model Railroad Association open their model railroads to the public.
This year on Saturdays and Sundays in October and November seventy-three members will have open houses. There will be an open house at Charlie Mason’s model railroad this Sunday afternoon, October 14, from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to attend. The address is 1110 Orchard Way in Roswell, just off Coleman Road. Come to the basement at the rear of the house. For more information go to http://www.piedmontpilgrimage.com/
- Lenna Sharp—Oct 17
- Shirley May—Oct 18
- Sue Gardner—Oct 18
- Janet Buckley—Oct 19
- Jim Boswell’s heart surgery was a success. Pray for his continued recovery. They are back in Georgia and Jim is doing well. Prayers have been answered!
- Jackie Hubbard – has had her 3rd right knee replacement. Please pray for this to be successful.
- Janet Scalzo as she recovers from knee replacement surgery
- Gale Earman and Diana Frei, former CUC members, need our prayers. Diana was diagnosed with lymphoma about three years ago. It has not gone well. She has had to have her spleen removed and part of her left lung. She has broken both hips and is wheel chair bound. She is also suffering from dementia. Gale is her sole caregiver and is understandably exhausted. They are receiving support from their church, but prayers, cards and notes would be uplifting.
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues her fight against liver cancer. Mary says they feel our CUC love and prayers wrapped around them.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson has been released by the Turkish courts. He has left Turkey and is expected to return to the US this Saturday (9-13-2018)!
- Bob Moore is back to CUC following surgery
- Jeannie and Jim Ehlers have welcomed a new grandson, Beau, their 8th grandchild
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor (at firstname.lastname@example.org) can keep information current)
- Oct 14 -MOS – “I Hear America Singing” 3 PM
- Oct. 20 – Great Day of Service
- Oct. 28 – Homestretch BBQ in the Burbs
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape
- Nov 14th – Booth Museum trip
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show
- Dec 3 – CUC Christmas Party at the Metropolitan Club