This is my command. Love each other. John 15:17
Bible Verse of the Week
Our CUC Bible verse of the week, words of Jesus, of love and of self-discipline, is a favorite of George Martin.
Sunday, September 30, 2018
Mark Goodwin will be teaching our lesson Sunday. His topic is “Identity Theft”. He will be using multiple scriptures to talk about our identity in Christ and Satan’s attempt to steal our identity.
Mark and Debbie, in the short time they have been with us, have become very active participants is CUC and other RUMC ministries. We look forward to his lesson.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Jane Bailey, Louise Booysen and Sharon & Bob Schnakenberg
Sunday, September 23
78 members + 6 guests + 1 teacher + 85
New CUC Member
We welcome Nancy Spence as our newest CUC member. Nancy has been a member of RUMC since 1966.
Sunday, Sept 23
It is good to see to Wilfred and Stella Boayue at CUC again as Wilfred is back from Liberia for 4 months.
Time to Sign Up for Small Group Dinners!
The Fellowship Committee will pass the clipboard for the next two Sundays to attend or host Small Group Dinners. In case you won’t be in town or just want to be first on the list, please contact Kris Taylor to participate. Be sure to indicate if you are available to host.
Newcomers!! This twice-a-year activity is a delightful way to get to know your classmates The Fellowship Committee assigns 6 – 8 guests to “host homes.” The host then organizes the group by finding a convenient date and preparing the main course. Guests bring the side dishes. Easy peasy and lots of fun!
SAVE the DATE
Please mark your calendars and be ready to have lots of fun, good food, and enjoy great company! The annual CUC Christmas Party will be Monday, December 3, at the Metropolitan Club in Alpharetta. More information will be announced later.
Please feel free to call MariAnna Brown if you have any questions.
Wednesday Night Out (WNO)
Join us weekly from 4:45-6:30 p.m. for dinner in the fellowship hall.
Next week’s menu:
Herb Roasted Bone-in Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Vegetable Medley, Tomato Bisque, Yeast Rolls, Salad Bar, Peach Cobbler.
C3: Care.Converse.Connect – a Proactive Approach to Caring
Consider attending all four or choose what is most applicable to you of four round -table discussions on Tuesday evenings in October at 6:30 in the RUMC Dining room.
- Oct. 9 Normal Aging vs. Dementia
- Oct 16: Virtual Dementia Tour
- Oct. 23: Guide to Legal Documents for Best Elder Care
- Oct. 30: The Next Right Step – a panel discussion
Pick up a flyer for full details or contact Mary Stokes firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sounds of the Spirit Concert Series
Carole Ford and Friends will be in concert on Sunday, Oct. 7, at 3 p.m. in the Chapel. Carole will be joined by Fred Sawyers, James Casto,
Jim Hettinger, Mike Shetler, “Sevenfold,” and the RUMC Praise Choir in a concert of favorite sacred music. Selections will include “His Eye Is On the Sparrow,” “Holy, Holy, Holy,” and “This Is Me.” Tickets are not needed for this concert.
RUMC Mission Booth
All proceeds realized from the sale of items at the RUMC Mission Booth at City Antiques are designated for missions. All proceeds realized from the October and November sales will be designated to the RUMC hurricane relief effort. You can help by donating collectibles, seasonal items, small furniture, and china. Drop off your donations at the RUMC front office. The booth is in City Antiques, which is located at 700 Holcomb Bridge Road. Questions: Ann Gordon, 770.490.7900
Publix Murphy Harpst Support
On Oct. 1 Publix is changing how its customers contribute to charities such as Murphy Harpst (which has received $109,995 from Publix so far this year). Your tag will no longer work. The new system will only require you to give your phone number at checkout but you must set up your account with Publix. Information was passed out in class on Sunday. See Larry Hunt for full information.
Required Minimum Distributions
Mark 12:17 – says, “Give Caesar what is his and give God what is His” (The Message)
When your Required Minimum Deduction (RMD) comes due consider sending all or part of it directly as your contribution to RUMC or one of its Mission Partners. That will help you save on your total taxable income when you pay your taxes. For more information contact Nancy Irwin at 770-261-1726 or email@example.com
Get Your Cans to Church!
September is RUMC’s month to fill the pantry at North Fulton Charities. Remember to bring nonperishable items to church on Sunday mornings or to the church office during office hours Monday-Thursday
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
CUC Helps Red Bird Missions by collecting Labels for Education
- ∈∋— none —∈∋
- Jim Boswell’s heart surgery was successfully completed on Monday. He is now in a regular room. He even has a dedicated person that stays with him which is a part of the hospital program. The family was very pleased with the surgeon. Family members have been coming and going so Linda feels well taken care of. Jim will probably be in the hospital another 5-7 days then remain in Cleveland for observation for another week. They appreciate the cards they have received. The address for them is: InterContinental Suites Hotel, 8800 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. Prayers have been effective – Keep them up!
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Virginia Hardy had a bad fall in the RUMC Columbarium. Pray for a quick recovery from her injuries.
- Jackie Hubbard – had her 3rd right knee replacement on last Wednesday, September 26th. Please pray for this to be successful.
- Marlene MacLeod has been suffering with a severe case of shingles since August 24. The shingles are subsiding now, but the pain remains constant. Pray for relief of pain.
- Janet Skalzo is having knee replacement surgery on Tuesday, October 4
- Janet Thomas’ daughter in law was diagnosed with Wegener‘s in August. It attacked her lungs and kidneys and spent some time in ICU. She is on dialysis and chemo. It’s very scary for the whole family because they don’t know what is going to happen. She might have to get a kidney transplant if the chemo or dialysis doesn’t work. Please pray for all who are suffering with these diseases.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson is still on house arrest. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry. Please pray for Andrew’s release soon.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues chemo for liver cancer. Mary says they feel our CUC love and prayers wrapped around them.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Oct. 7 – The Sounds of the Spirit Concert
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show
- Dec 3 – CUC Christmas Party at the Metropolitan Club