“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Bible Verse of the Week
Joshua 1:6 is Charlotte Dodson’s favorite verse. God commissioned Joshua as leader of the Israelite after the death of Moses. He presented assurances to him in Joshua 1, as they were getting ready to cross the Jordan River into the promised land.
Sunday, September 16, 2018
When God Speaks
Our lesson for this Sunday will be presented by Associate Pastor, Melissa Mobley, The title of her lesson is When God Speaks. The Bible references are I Samuel 3:1-10 and 2 Corinthians 12:14-15. Melissa will also be sharing about her background and her ministry at RUMC.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Shirley & P.D. May and Bettie & John Goss
Sunday, September 9
1 teacher + 2 guests + 87 members = 90 total
Welcome Our Newest CUC Member
We will be seeing her more often after she recovers from her planned knee surgery.
Sunday, Sept 9
Each week CUC members enjoy a piano accompaniment of Christian music as we gather. Thank you Virginia Thomason!
Time to Sign Up for Small Group Dinners!
The Fellowship Committee will pass the clipboard for the next two Sundays to attend or host Small Group Dinners. In case you won’t be in town or just want to be first on the list, please contact Kris Taylor to participate. Be sure to indicate if you are available to host.
Newcomers!! This twice-a-year activity is a delightful way to get to know your classmates The Fellowship Committee assigns 6 – 8 guests to “host homes.” The host then organizes the group by finding a convenient date and preparing the main course. Guests bring the side dishes. Easy peasy and lots of fun!
The two devotional web sites Roger Davis mentioned in his lesson on September 2 were:
Note: these links have been added to the CUC Links menu on the cucx.wordpress.com home page (the CUC Links menu is located on the right hand side of the web page)
George Batterson has expressed his appreciation to CUC for their support after the loss of his wife Carolyn and has given a nice contribution to CUC in her memory.
NEW COVENANT GROUPS FORMING
Tom Davis spoke in a recent sermon, ” For where two or three are gathered in My name, I am in the midst of them.” This verse really applies to our class, where 97 people currently meet and study in small groups.
In recent months we have added more new members to the class who might be interested in forming their own groups. We have resources for study books and guidelines for setting up these groups.
For more information please contact Ann Douglas or Roger Davis
SAVE the DATE
Please mark your calendars and be ready to have lots of fun, good food, and enjoy great company! The annual CUC Christmas Party will be Monday, December 3 at the Metropolitan Club in Alpharetta. More information will be announced later.
Please feel free to call MariAnna Brown if you have any questions.
Many of our CUC members are involved two Monday nights each month in our RUMC Job Networking program. If you are interested in helping with this active program contact Bob Schnackenberg.
Greeters needed in Children’s Area
You are invited to enjoy meeting young RUMC families! Be a greeter once a month in the children’ area for the 9:30 or 11:00 Sunday services. Help children get signed in and to the correct classroom. 9:15-9:45 or 10:40-11:15. Contact Nancy Spence email@example.com for information or to volunteer.
Get Your Cans to Church!
September is RUMC’s month to fill the pantry at North Fulton Charities. Remember to bring nonperishable items to church on Sunday mornings or to the church office during office hours Monday-Thursday
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
CUC Helps Red Bird Missions by collecting Labels for Education
- Betty and Don Gay – Sep 16, 1956 – 62 years!
- Rose and Jim Lappe – Sep 16, 1968 – 50 years!
- Beverly & Doug Tatom – Sep 19, 1998 – 20 years
- Linda & Jim Boswell as they prepare for their trip to Cleveland for Jim’s open heart surgery to replace his tricuspid valve at Cleveland Clinic on September 24. They will go up on Wednesday, September 19. He will have tests for two days, and enter the hospital on Saturday, September 22. He will be in the hospital for about 10 days after surgery, and they will remain in Cleveland for a few more. They are tentatively scheduled to come home on October 6. Linda says they feel very blessed to have this opportunity, to know they have your thoughts and prayers, and to have their family traveling with them
- Pat (Mrs.) Cooney as she has chemo for multiple myeloma. Keep her and her husband Pat in your prayers.
- Johnny Johnson for a rapid recovery following surgery last week
- Bob Moore recovering from successful surgery on Thursday afternoon and coming home Friday afternoon
- Pastor Andrew Brunson is still on house arrest. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry. Please pray for Andrew’s release soon.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues chemo for liver cancer. Mary says they feel our CUC love and prayers wrapped around them.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show
- Dec 3 – CUC Christmas Party at the Metropolitan Club