“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
Sunday, August 26, 2018
Dr Jim McCormick.. will be our Teacher this Sunday.
His Topic is “How Not To Read the Bible”
Retired Methodist Pastor, Rev. Dr. James McCormick is the author of five books including: Welcome Home, Tell It Like It Can Be, Marriage Is For Adults, Does It Look and Sound Like Jesus? and The Gospel Goes to Broadway. He is a contributor to the Upper Room Disciplines and 1992 Abingdon Preaching Annual and 1993 Abingdon Preaching Annual. McCormick formerly served as an Adjunct Professor at the School of Theology at Claremont and Fuller Theological Seminary.
Jim is one of our CUC all time favorite teachers. We look forward to his teaching us again this Sunday.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Jill Caviness, Peggy Rodway, Linda Mooney and Betty Smith
Sunday, August 19
81 members + 1 teachers + 2 visitors = 84
Sunday, August 19
CUC Helps Red Bird Missions by collecting Labels for Education
RED BIRD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL FACTS:
Red Bird advertised in an educational periodical that Red Bird is a Christian, college preparatory program for students:
- Did you know there are 24 international students at Red Bird?
- Student objectives are to seek a closer relationship to the Lord, develop Christian leadership skills, and foster a spirit of service.
- Focus is on 7-11th graders wanting to attend a university in the US.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
Join the “Boomers” and beyond
Sunday, August 26 at 4 p.m. in the fellowship hall for a music and comedy show ”Senior Trip” with our own Cheryl Rogers celebrating the 55+ crowd. It is entertainment with a mission based on the fact that gray matters!
The Path of Compassion: Living with Heart, Soul, and Mind
Written by seasoned pastoral counselor, Ron Greer, the study explores the foundational truths of the Scriptures to love God “with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind” and to love “your neighbor as yourself.” Compassion is more than just an emotion or an inspiration or simply an action. Compassion is all three working together in beautiful synergy. It involves a feeling of empathy, an experience of grace, and an impassioned engagement. These are the levels of compassion–heart, soul, and mind.
Ministry Area: Bible Study-Adult
When: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 – 3:30 PM – 4:45 PM
Meeting Instructions: Wednesdays, 4:30 p.m. – 5:45 p.m., Aug. 22-Oct. 17. Trinity Cafe, Chapel building.
Cost of participant book: $13
Contact: Mobley, Melissa
The 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The annual tournament that benefits the RUMC Foundation is Monday, October 8. A special discount is offered to church members who register by Friday, August 31 at RUMC.com/golf. Can’t we get together a foursome or two from the CUC class?
- John Sharp – for quick recovery from Kidney Surgery he had on Thursday – Aug. 23. UPDATE: Friday morning – Some pain from Surgery but manageable without Meds. Should be home after lunch today
- Earleen Sides – Mary Lee Copelands Sister – for Relief from NLD disease in her lower legs
- Lara Todd Deaton – Prayers and Thanksgiving – starting Cosmetology School – Sept. 11
- Andy Roberts – Lynne & Dave Roberts Son – prayers for safety in participating in a 397 mile Bike marathon.
- Pat Stamps – Pat went to Florida to be with her aunt, who then died. The memorial service will be next weekend (Sept 1-2)
- Lynda Leckie for continued relief of discomfort from 3 broken ribs
- Dee Scott – pray for proper healing of misaligned shoulder fracture to avoid need for shoulder replacement
- Jeannie Ehlers – who was back in Sunday School after her foot Surgery. Welcome back Jeannie!
- Bev Tatom – on Thursday had her followup visit with the Surgeon, She is right on track in her recovery; And the Surgeon predicts a full recovery! Beverly and Doug want to Thank the Wonderful CUC Class for the Fantastic and Delicious Meals that they prepared and delivered to them!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
- Jim Boswell’s voice is returning! and he has an appointment with Cleveland Clinic for further repair of his heart issue.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson is still on house arrest in Turkey while the U.S. imposes sanctions on Turkey, demanding his release. Please pray for his release soon, or at the scheduled hearing October 12. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues chemo.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Betty Gay – Saturday, Aug 25
- Fred Brown – Tuesday, Aug 28
- Sharon Erdman – Friday, Aug 31
- Ann Douglas – Saturday, Sep 1
- August 26 – 4PM – “Senior Trip”
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show