“I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.”
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Love–The One True Foundation
Sunday’s CUC class speaker this week is Sidney Moore. He last taught us in November 2016, and his talk was very inspiring. You will recall that he is Paul Beecham’s associate in prisoner care. Sidney’s topic is “Love–The One True Foundation”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Sharon & Tom Erdman, and LaVerne Lamb & Dick Anthony
Sunday, August 12
Items for CUC Friday August 24th Newsletter
For any messages or announcements for this coming Friday’s CUC newsletter and for any midweek CUC announcements during this coming week (August 18th – 24th) please sent them to Doug Tatom by Thursday night
RUMC NAME BADGES
While we all have “CUC Name Tags”, the church is encouraging us to get the RUMC name badges and wear them when we are on the campus.
Patty Hampton, who works for Nancy Lane, is responsible for ordering the badges and will be placing an order soon.
We will pass a sign up sheet this Sunday for those who don’t already have a badge and want one. They sure help when you recognize someone but can’t remember their name. They also help in talking to those you don’t know.
THANK YOU TO CUC!
We want to thank you for all of your tremendous help and support for the last year and a half. We appreciate the prayers, cards, food, transportation, help cleaning out our house, unpacking at our new apartment, and helping with the garage sale. In honor of the CUC class we have given a donation of $1,000 to the CUC Endowment in the RUMC Foundation. We love you and your willingness to help and support us.
Love, Jim and Lynn Adcock
Red Bird Missions
CUC Helps Red Bird Missions by collecting Labels for Education and recently Norma & Dave Hills took a carload of books and clothing from the Garage Sale.
Here are some RED BIRD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL FACTS:
- The first year (1922) two teachers had 2 senior high and 95 elementary students. This year there are 78 in elementary and preschool, 27 in middle school, and 89 in high school.
- In 1988 Red Bird Christian School separated from the public system to focus on spiritual development of students and faculty by emphasizing Christianity and the Bible.
- Their motto is “Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve.”
- The school was why Red Bird Mission began.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your Boxtops for Education for Red Bird Missions and your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
Join the “Boomers” and beyond
Sunday, August 26 at 4 p.m. in the fellowship hall for a music and comedy show ”Senior Trip” with our own Cheryl Rogers celebrating the 55+ crowd. It is entertainment with a mission based on the fact that gray matters!
Interested in digging a little deeper in Bible study?
Men and women are welcome to join in, Wednesday mornings, 10-11:30 at RUMC. Please contact study leader, Sally Dowland (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
September 5 – October 10: six weeks
“Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi” by Amy-Jill Levine. Life in first-century Palestine was very different from our world today, and many traditional interpretations of Jesus’ stories ignore this disparity.
In this Bible study, Amy-Jill Levine analyzes these “problems with parables” taking readers back in time to understand how their original Jewish audience understood them. With this revitalized understanding, she interprets these moving stories for the contemporary reader, showing how the parables are not just about Jesus, but are also about us—and when read rightly, still challenge and provoke us two thousand years later. (Study guide with daily readings; DVD component for class time)
The 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The annual tournament that benefits the RUMC Foundation is Monday, October 8. A special discount is offered to church members who register by Friday, August 31 at RUMC.com/golf. Can’t we get together a foursome or two from the CUC class?
- Lynda Leckie for continued relief of discomfort from 3 broken ribs
- Dee Scott – pray for proper healing of misaligned shoulder fracture to avoid need for shoulder replacement
- Bev Tatom – For a good recovery and relief of pain as she recovers at home following back surgery this past Wednesday
- Jim Boswell’s voice is returning and he has an appointment with Cleveland Clinic for further repair of his heart issue.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson is still on house arrest in Turkey while the U.S. imposes sanctions on Turkey, demanding his release. Please pray for his release soon, or at the scheduled hearing October 12. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam continues chemo.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Judy & Sieg Hoogstraal – August 23, 2008 – 10 years
- Martha Jane & Charlie Mason – August 24, 1068 – 50 years !
- August 26 – 4PM – “Senior Trip”
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show