“Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.”
Sunday, August 12, 2018
Christians Under Construction
This Sunday CUC will get to hear Dr. Joe McKechnie, Associate Pastor/Chapel Roswell as he talks to us about what construction, change, and transformation looks like in our lives and how God is leading us through this. He will be teaching from 2 Corinthians 3:12-18.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Gale & Roger Davis and Sue & George Waite
Sunday, August 5
73 members + 2 teachers + 4 visitors = 79
Sunday, August 5
CUC Weekly Prayer
We appreciate Bob Morisey who coordinates who will lead our CUC prayer each week.
CUC Wednesday Night Out
Our last CUC Wednesday Night Dinner for the summer, on August 8th, at Family Tradition Restaurant, was attended by 33 CUC members. Regular RUMC Wednesday Night Out dinners begin next week. Thanks to Ann & Larry Douglas and Pat & Grady Phillips who have coordinated our CUC Wednesday dinners again this summer.
Job Networking Garage Sale
Over $45,000 was raised by last week’s Garage Sale Extravaganza for Job Networking! That couldn’t have been done without a huge amount of help. We have estimated that at least 72 CUC members helped in some way during the week.
The garage sale helped so many people besides those who got the great bargains. The Clothing Room alone earned close to $3000 for Job Networking and here’s a list of those we know also benefited from the clothing room :
- Foster Care,
- North Fulton Charities,
- No Longer Bound,
- Acting Up (RUMC),
- Red Bird Ministries (Kentucky),
- Brookhaven UMC Recovery Ministry,
- Attire for Hire,
- and, most importantly, Job Networking!
(*Foster Care received merchandise for the Fostering Hope Store,*North Fulton Charities received many truck loads,*RUMC “Acting Up” received 2 full racks of clothing, and lots of accessories for their drama closet; *No Longer Bound Ministry received a BIG truck load of merchandise; * Brookhaven UMC Recovery Ministry received shoes and clothing (20-25 large bags),*Attire for Hire received interview clothing, and we gave a carload of clothing to RED BIRD Missions in Kentucky.)
Next year the date for the sale will be May 1, 2, and 3, so the start date for preparation will be Monday (or Sunday afternoon), April 29. Mark your calendars so you don’t miss this worthwhile, fun event!
The RUMC Choir is holding an open house in the choir room for their August 15th, 7:00 rehearsal. No commitment, but it helps to have the ability to sing! Questions? Ask Kris Taylor
Interested in digging a little deeper in Bible study?
Men and women are welcome to join in, Wednesday mornings, 10-11:30 at RUMC. Please contact study leader, Sally Dowland (email@example.com) if interested.
September 5 – October 10: six weeks
“Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi” by Amy-Jill Levine. Life in first-century Palestine was very different from our world today, and many traditional interpretations of Jesus’ stories ignore this disparity.
In this Bible study, Amy-Jill Levine analyzes these “problems with parables” taking readers back in time to understand how their original Jewish audience understood them. With this revitalized understanding, she interprets these moving stories for the contemporary reader, showing how the parables are not just about Jesus, but are also about us—and when read rightly, still challenge and provoke us two thousand years later. (Study guide with daily readings; DVD component for class time)
The 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The annual tournament that benefits the RUMC Foundation is Monday, October 8. A special discount is offered to church members who register by Friday, August 31 at RUMC.com/golf. Can’t we get together a foursome or two from the CUC class?
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your Boxtops for Education for Red Bird Missions and your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Jim Boswell who went to the Cleveland Clinic this past week for an evaluation of next steps for his heart valve issue.
- Malone Dodson whose surgery to correct hearing had to be postponed due to heart problems and has been rescheduled
- Jeannie Ehlers who is off her feet for a few weeks following foot surgery
- Lynda Leckie who has 3 broken ribs of unknown cause and is having a lot of discomfort.
- Bev Tatom – anticipating back surgery August 15th (rescheduled)
- Nancy Van Horn – as she prepares for her retirement and move to Delaware in November.
- Sharon Erdman for negative results from biopsy
- Johnny Johnson for good recovery from surgery and back to CUC
- Dee Scott – able to join us for WNO as she recovers from shoulder fracture
- Craig Simons – doing well following a heart ablation procedure
- Pastor Andrew Brunson still on house arrest in Turkey while the U.S. imposes sanctions on Turkey, demanding his release. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry.
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam has more chemo.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made. (Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Ann & Don McNew – August 12, 1961 – 57 years!
- Myra & Julian Belote – August 12, 1989 – 18 years
- Hugh & Sue Gardner – August 15, 1970 – 48 years
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show