“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.”
Sunday, August 5, 2018
CUC’s speakers this Sunday will be Rev. Keith Lawder, President and Chief Operating Officer of the Georgia United Methodist Foundation, and Kim Brammer who has been our Executive Director of the RUMC Foundation. Their message will be “Working Together… RUMC and the Georgia United Methodist Foundation Make a Great Team”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Nancy Van Horn, Jan & Allen Buckley, and Julianna Goodson
A special thank you goes to Wanda Taylor who coordinates our refreshment providers each week. And here is an additional reminder that if you have arranged to exchange your Refreshment Provider date with someone else, or if you are unable to provide refreshments on your assigned date, please let Wanda or Terry Taylor know.
Sunday, July 29
98 members +1 visitor + 1 teacher = 100!
Sunday, July 29
Welcome Our New CUC Members
- Lara Deaton – a returning CUC member
- George Mittelholzer – Lara’s fiance
CUC Wednesday Night Out
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner for August 1, at Peach & the Pork Chop was attended by 31 CUC members and guests.
Next Wednesday, on August 8th at 5:30pm, CUC will dine at Family Tradition Restaurant [MENU], 7830 Hickory Flat Hwy (Ga 140), Woodstock, This will be our last WNO for the summer. The clipboard will be passed on Sunday to sign up. If you want to come and don’t sign up, or if you sign up and cannot attend, please call Ann or Larry Douglas by noon Tuesday, so we can provide the restaurant with an accurate count.
MUST Summer Lunch program is over for the summer and will not be needing any more apples. Thanks for all the apples we received! And thanks for all who volunteered in making the lunches!
Thanks for CUC’s Help
Lynn and Jim Adcock offer their thanks to a number of CUC members, especially Jeff Cohelo , who worked to prepare and put on the Adcock’s successful garage sale following their move to smaller quarters at Huntcliff. A portion of the earnings from the garage sale will go to the CUC Foundation.
Job Networking Garage Sale Extravaganza
Be sure to tell your neighbors and friends and come out yourselves to support the Job Networking program at the annual RUMC Garage Sale (and the Cake Sale) this Friday and Saturday. There are all kinds of treasures to be found at lowest possible prices while supporting a good cause. You’ll be seeing a lot of your CUC friends there too as CUC is well-represented with Garage Sale volunteers.
The RUMC Choir is holding an open house in the choir room for their August 15th, 7:00 PM rehearsal.
No commitment, but it helps to have the ability to sing! Questions? Ask Kris Taylor
Interested in digging a little deeper in Bible study?
Men and women are welcome to join in, Wednesday mornings, 10-11:30 at RUMC. Please contact study leader, Sally Dowland (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
“Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi” by
Amy-Jill Levine. Life in first-century Palestine was very different from our world today, and many traditional interpretations of Jesus’ stories ignore this disparity. In this Bible study, Amy-Jill Levine analyzes these “problems with parables” taking readers back in time to understand how their original Jewish audience understood them.
With this revitalized understanding, she interprets these moving stories for the contemporary reader, showing how the parables are not just about Jesus, but are also about us—and when read rightly, still challenge and provoke us two thousand years later. (Study guide with daily readings; DVD component for class time)
The 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The annual tournament that benefits the RUMC Foundation is Monday, October 8. A special discount is offered to church members who register by Friday, August 31 at RUMC.com/golf. Can’t we get together a foursome or two from the CUC class?
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your Boxtops for Education for Red Bird Missions and your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Jim Boswell will be going to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday for an evaluation and next steps for his heart valve issue. Grandson, Andrew Cox, will be traveling with them to “take care of the old folks”. They will be back on Wednesday. Pray for a safe trip with encouraging results. Also the Boswell’s granddaughter, Courtney Cox, is safely back in Atlanta after 2 months of mission work in Cambodia and Thailand. She’s good, but had to leave one young man in a Bangkok hospital with possible encephalitis or meningitis. His parents are with him, but it is very serious. Please include him in prayers.
- Malone Dodson whose surgery to correct hearing had to be postponed due to heart problems
- Jeannie Ehlers who is off her feet for a few weeks following foot surgery
- Sharon Erdman for good results from biopsy
- Johnny Johnson for good recovery after having hernia surgery this past week
- Dee Scott– for relief of pain and rapid healing of the shoulder fracture which occurred when she fell at Job Networking.
- Craig Simons – returning to Cleveland for a series of tests related to his heart
- Bev Tatom – anticipating back surgery August 17th
Thanksgiving, but continue prayers:
- Pastor Andrew Brunson still on house arrest in Turkey while the U.S. imposes sanctions on Turkey, demanding his release. Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry.
Ongoing Prayer Request
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam has more chemo
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Norma & Dave Hills – August 11, 1957 – 61 years!
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show