For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38, 39
Sunday, July 29, 2018
Looking Deeper at the Parables
Scott Dickson returns to CUC this Sunday for the second part of his most interesting lesson “Looking Deeper at the Parables”. He is looking at the parables in a different way, making us think about where and when Jesus taught them and who His listeners were.
Two books about the parables that Scott Dickson recommended were Short Stories by
Jesus by Amy-Jill Levine and The Parables of Jesus by Jim Fleming.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Jill Head, Robin Hicks, Jackie Hubbard and Jan Ligon
Sunday, July 22
95 members, 4 visitors, 1 teacher
Sunday, July 22
CUC Wednesday Night Out
CUC Wednesday Night Dinner for July 25 at Brookwood Grill was attended by 33 CUC members and guests.
Next Wednesday, August 1 at 5:30pm, CUC WNO will be at Peach & the Porkchop, 12040 Etris Rd, Roswell . The clipboard will be passed on Sunday to sign up. If you want to come and don’t sign up, or if you sign up and cannot attend, please call Ann or Larry Douglas by noon Tuesday, so we can provide the restaurant with an accurate count.
Thanks again to those who donated financial assistance and those who assisted with the sandwich making for MUST and especially to those who served on the committee. Over the last 2 years CUC has provided lunches using over 5,000 slices of cheese, 15,000 slices of ham, 15,000 slices of bread and over 200 man-hours.
Job Networking Garage Sale Extravaganza Next Week!
You may drop off items for the Garage Sale on Sunday with people waiting at the “Scout Hut” starting at 8:30 am and again between and after services. Volunteers will be able to help you unload your car. However, if possible, wait and donate on Monday, July 30 or Tuesday, May 31.
Jan Ligon reminds us that the antiques that our kids don’t want would be of great value for the garage sale. Gale Davis reminds us that those good clothes that we hardly ever wear will be great for our boutique. We are not taking men’s clothes or shoes this year. We want women’s clothes on HANGERS please.
Plan to volunteer at almost any time during this coming week for the Garage Sale Extravaganza August 2- 4th. (You do not have to sign up ahead if you realize you have time to help out.) CUC always has a large group of volunteers working that whole week.
Consider donating homemade baked goods and/or purchasing baked goods at the Job Networking fundraising Bake Sale. Drop off baked goods next Thursday, 8/2, 12:00-2:00 at the south side of Chapel Building just before the portico. Please identify baked item and include your name. Someone will be at curbside to receive your baked goods. The Bake Sale is on Friday, August 3, 8:00am-6:00pm Bldg B, Room 123-125.Questions? Contact Claudia Phelps.
Adcock Garage Sale
There is an additional garage sale going on this Friday and Saturday from 9:00 to 2:00 at the home of Lynn and Jim Adcock, 1455 Woodcrest Drive, Roswell, to assist them in clearing out their home of 45 years, before everything else is moved to the RUMC garage sale.
They have many beautiful things they have accumulated over the years that just won’t fit in their new apartment at Huntcliff Summit. Come and encourage others to came and you may find some treasures. Tools, glassware, appliances, decorative items, beautiful oriental rugs, gifts, linens, toys, games, books, and some very nice women’s clothes sizes 12-16 and shoes size 8, etc., etc.
Operation Christmas Child
No, it is not too early to begin thinking about Christmas! Not when there are such great sales of school supplies going on! You can start your collection of shoebox items by shopping early!
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Don’t forget to collect and bring in to CUC your Boxtops for Education for Red Bird Missions and your flip tops to support Ronald McDonald Houses.
- Bob Schnachenburg for relief of his back pain
- Dee Scott – for relief of pain and rapid healing of the shoulder fracture which occurred when she fell at Job Networking this past week
- Johnny Johnson who is having hernia surgery Monday
Thanksgiving, but continue prayers:
- Pastor Andrew Brunson was released Wednesday after being held in prison for almost two years. He is now under house arrest at his home in Izmir, Turkey, while the charges remain the same.A Turkish state news agency said the court banned him from leaving the country. He will not be able to leave his house except for an interview or a hearing in court. Turkish authorities will keep his passport, and he must wear an electronic ankle bracelet. We hope this is a first step in completely freeing Pastor Andrew. His next court date is in October. (Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey.)
(News reports this Thursday morning are that he will soon return to the United States!)
Ongoing Prayer Request
- Pray for Mary Serafina and her daughter Pam Pruit as Pam begins more chemo
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Frank Foil – July 30
- Peggy Rodway – July 31
- Bill Lanham – August 1
- Dave Wistrand – August 1
- Don Gay – Aug 2
- Bev Harrell – August 4
- Bettie & Ernie Robertson – August 3, 1990 – 28 years
- Jul 26 – 27th – 28th Matinee 1 – 28th Matinee 2 – 29th – Acting Up – “Annie”
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show