Love never fails. But where there prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
I Corinthians 13:8-10
Sunday, July 8, 2018
Our CUC speaker this Sunday is Bryan Elder, an active member of Chapel Roswell. His topic is “Freedom”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Nancy & Dave Wistrand and Judy & Dal Zierk
Sunday, July 1, 2018
82 members, 9 visitors, 1 teacher = 92
Sunday, July 8, 2018
The CUC offering on Sunday amounted to $103.
The love offerings collected during (and after) the potluck supper totaled $730. These funds will be distributed to the various charities/missions, as directed by the donors.
CUC CLASS OFFICERS FOR 2018-19
It’s time to be thinking about class officers for 2018-19 with responsibilities beginning in August.
- Sara Beecham, current Vice President, will move into the president position and George Martin will be next year’s vice president.
- Roger Davis and Martha Jane Mason will be in charge of arranging speakers each Sunday, but many other jobs will likely be available.
Current committees have all done a great job and keeping some experienced persons on their current assignments. However, it is equally important to get new people involved.
A nominating committee is working on this in the next few weeks. Chairman and co-chairman for the next year’s CUC retreat are especially needed.
Information on current class committees is available on the class web site (CUCX.WORDPRESS.COM).
If you’re interested in serving on any committee or would like to change your current assignment, please let Tom Knight know ASAP. Tom’s goal is to have everything tied down by mid-July.
Must Ministries Lunch Program
A big thank you to our class for the steady contributions of Apples for Must Ministries each week! Keep up the good work!
- Continuing every Sunday through the months of June and July please bring bags of apples as you are able and they will be placed with the lunch crews for distribution with the bag lunches.
- Our CUC class has made more than 4,000 lunches in the past 2 years and we plan to make still more. The next CUC lunch-making day is Tuesday, July 17 at 9:00.
- Drivers and riders are still needed for delivering the MUST lunches. If you are interested in helping with this, contact Sandy Griffin.
CUC RETREAT – OCT. 31 – NOV 2, 2018 — WINSHAPE CONFERENCE CENTER
We announced last week that Tom Davis and Jeff Ross will be sharing in leading the retreat. We are looking forward to having this special time with them.
- DEPOSIT OF $150 DUE JULY 8
- A room deposit of $150 is due by this Sunday, July 8, to hold a reservation for the retreat. Make checks payable to “CUC Class” and put “Retreat” on the memo line. Questions? Ask Roger Davis.
DON’T MISS THIS GREAT RETREAT !!!
Job Networking Fundraisers
Consider donating homemade baked good and/or purchasing baked goods at the Job Networking fundraising Bake Sale, kicking off Garage Sale week, Sunday, July 29, at the Scout Hut. Drop-off is June 28th at noon. Questions? Contact Claudia Phelps.
Also start planning to volunteer at almost any time during the following week for the huge Garage Sale Extravaganza August 2- 4th. CUC always has a large group of volunteers working that whole week.
Red Bird Mission School
Betty and Larry Hunt recently made a trip to Red Bird mission school in Kentucky to see for themselves what this mission that CUC collects the box tops and labels for is all about. This is what they found:
Children born in southeastern Kentucky, a poor Appalachian region, are fortunate if they have the opportunity for an education that gives them hope for a bright future. Red Bird Mission School, K-12, provides an experience of high quality for its students. 97% of high school graduates go on to college or further training.
This Methodist private Christian school relies on churches throughout the USA and individuals to meet its budget. CUC members are asked to cut out Box Tops for
Education printed on various supermarket items and bring them to class. What is then mailed to Red Bird Mission is our small way of helping those needy young people.
Charis Gallery Award
Jan Buckley has received the People’s Choice Award for her painting “Grandma Bathing Muffy” in the Celebration exhibit in the Charis Gallery outside the Sanctuary. The exhibit runs through July 16th.
Acting Up – “Annie”
Don’t forget to get your tickets for RUMC’s drama ministry’s production of “Annie”, July 26-29. We are hearing it will be a great show! For information and tickets, firstname.lastname@example.org or rumc.com/actingup.
Little Things Mean a lot!
- Apples to CUC for MUST lunches!
- Box Tops should be clipped when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores and brought for CUC Red Bird Ministry basket
- Flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses – keep collecting them and bring to Sunday School.
- Lynn & Jim Adcock – as they settle into their new home at Huntcliff Summit. Also pray for Lynn for good results from her biopsy this Friday.
- Jim Boswell prayers are much appreciated as he recovers from a bout of GI bleeding, repeat heart catheterization, and hopefully returns home this Friday.
- Edna Smith – pray for a speedy recovery from hernia surgery.
- Mary Serafina at MD Anderson in Houston with her daughter Pam Pruit for a month, for Pam’s cancer treatments. Pray for Pam’s successful cancer treatment
Ongoing Prayer Request
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey.
- UPDATE ON PASTOR ANDREW BRUNSON – June 25, 2018 President Trump made his boldest statement last weekend in defense of imprisoned Pastor Brunson assuring him that he is not forgotten, and we are working on his release. Also, the U.S. Senate is poised to approve legislation that would inflict a significant penalty on Turkey by denying their purchase of our F-35 jets should they not release Pastor Brunson. In addition, the European Parliamentarians are demanding Turkey release the innocent pastor. Meanwhile, Pastor Brunson is in prison awaiting the continuation of his trial on July 18.
- Bev Harrell – back to CUC , recovered from leg injury
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- Craig Simons – July 11
- Donna & Vince Grosse – July 11, 1965 – 53 years!
- Lenna & John Sharp – July 11, 1964 – 54 years!
- Betty & Larry Hunt – July 13 – 55 years !!
Celebrating 162 years of Marriage this week!
- Jul 26 – 27th – 28th Matinee 1 – 28th Matinee 2 – 29th – Acting Up – “Annie”
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
- Nov 29 – Dec 1 – RUMC 1st Annual Christmas Gift and Craft Show