“After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. Upon receiving such orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks. About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.”
Acts 16: 23-25
Sunday, July 1, 2018
Four Principles for Daily Living
This Sunday our own Roger Davis will be leading our class with a lesson titled: “Four Principles for Daily Living” based on selected verses from Romans 8.
CUC has been very supportive of Luke Wagner, grandson of Gale & Roger. Luke has periodically given the class an update on his status and future plans. Luke will do that for us this week.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Martha & Tom Knight and Marlene & Don MacLeod
Sunday, June 24
75 members, 3 visitors, + 1 teacher = 79
Sunday, June 24
Reminder this Sunday
This Sunday, July 1, there is one service at 11 am in the sanctuary and 11 am in the chapel and hot dogs and ice cream will be served on the commons at noon.
CUC Patriotic Potluck Picnic
Thanks to the CUC Social Committee for our great Patriotic Potluck Picnic last Wednesday. Over 75 CUC’ers enjoyed the fun event with good food, good fellowship, and great entertainment by the Treble Makers.
CUC CLASS OFFICERS FOR 2018-19
It’s time to be thinking about class officers for 2018-19 with responsibilities beginning in August. Sara Beecham, current Vice President, will move into the President position but many other jobs will likely be available.
Current committees have all done a great job and keeping some experienced persons on their current assignments is advisable. However, it is equally important to get new people involved. A nominating committee is working on this in the next few weeks.
Information on current class committees is available on the class web site (CUCX.WORDPRESS.COM). If you’re interested in serving on any committee or would like to change your current assignment, please let me know asap. My goal is to have everything tied down by mid-July.
Many thanks, Tom Knight
Must Ministries Lunch Program
A big thank you to our class for the steady contributions of Apples for Must Ministries each week! Keep up the good work!
Continuing every Sunday through the months of June and July please bring bags of apples as you are able and they will be placed with the lunch crews for distribution with the bag lunches.
Last year we made 2400 lunches and plan to do that and maybe more this year. The CUC MUST Lunch Committee consists of Sandy and Bill Griffin, Martha Jane Mason, Jeff and Lesleigh Coelho, Jim Boswell, Claudia Phelps.
2018 CUC RETREAT
We are delighted to report that we have 46 rooms reserved and 87 attendees signed up to attend our annual retreat – October 31-November 2 at Winshape Retreat Center.
A deposit of $150 is required by July 8 to hold the room. Please make checks to “CUC Class” and put “Retreat” on the memo line.
Tom Davis and Jeff Ross will be leading our retreat. Tom will be with us for the session on Thursday morning. Jeff will be with us for the entire retreat. Take an opportunity to thank both of them for participating.
Questions? Ask Roger Davis.
Charis Gallery Award
Jan Buckley has received the People’s Choice Award for her painting “Grandma Bathing Muffy” in the Celebration exhibit in the Charis Gallery outside the Sanctuary. The exhibit runs through July 16th.
- Lynn & Jim Adcock – as they move to their new home at Huntcliff Summit this coming week. Also pray for Lynn for good results as she goes for another biopsy next week.
- Dick Anthony – pray for good recovery from recent surgery
- Jim Boswell was admitted to Piedmont on Wednesday. He was experiencing some bleeding from the GI tract which is now under control. He will continue with testing to find the source. No visitors, but prayers are much appreciated.
- Bev Harrell – pray for healing of leg injury following fall
- Johnny Johnson did not have hip surgery this past week but is still in the process of determining best course of treatment
- Edna Smith – pray for a speedy recovery from hernia surgery.
- Arlis Bryant, sister of La Verne Lamb, as she begins chemo and immuno therapy this week
- Mary Serafina at MD Anderson in Houston with her daughter Pam Pruit for a month for Pam’s cancer treatments. Pray for Pam’s successful cancer treatment
- News from Al & Linda Temples -The transplant team at UTSW Medical called to say they had accepted Linda as a candidate for kidney transplant
Ongoing Prayer Request
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey.
- UPDATE ON PASTOR ANDREW BRUNSON – June 25, 2018 President Trump made his boldest statement last weekend in defense of imprisoned Pastor Brunson assuring him that he is not forgotten, and we are working on his release. Also, the U.S. Senate is poised to approve legislation that would inflict a significant penalty on Turkey by denying their purchase of our F-35 jets should they not release Pastor Brunson. In addition, the European Parliamentarians are demanding Turkey release the innocent pastor. Meanwhile, Pastor Brunson is in prison awaiting the continuation of his trial on July 18.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Apples to CUC for MUST lunches!
Box Tops should be clipped when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores and brought for CUC Red Bird Ministry basket
Flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses – keep collecting them and bring to Sunday School.
- Nancy & Dave Wistrand – July 2, 1994 – 24 years
- Ann & Larry Douglas – July 6, 1968 – 50 years!
- Friday, June 29, 7:30 PM, and Sunday, July 1, 3 PM – Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- Jul 26 – 27th – 28th Matinee 1 – 28th Matinee 2 – 29th – Acting Up – “Annie”
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat