Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. For there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 2; 23-29
Sunday, June 17, 2018
Come Build a Church!
Friend of the CUC Class Scott Dickson has our lesson Sunday. His topic is, “Come Build a Church”. Don’t miss Scott this Sunday, his lessons are always interesting and informative!
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Sue & Hugh Gardner and Dee & Bill Scott
Sunday, June 10
80 members, 1 teacher = 82
Sunday, June 10
CUC’s Wednesday Night Out
If you want to come and don’t sign up, please call Ann or Larry Douglas (770.363.3568) by noon Tuesday, June 12, so we can provide the restaurant with an accurate count.
CUC CLASS OFFICERS FOR 2018-19
It’s time to beginning thinking about class officers for 2018-19 with responsibilities beginning in August. Sara Beecham, current Vice President, will move into the President position but many other jobs will likely be available.
Current committees have all done a great job and keeping some experienced persons on their current assignments is advisable. However, it is equally important to get new people involved.
A nominating committee will begin working on this in the next few weeks. Information on current class committees is available on the class web site (CUC Class Officers) and will also be available as a handout on Sunday. If you’re interested in serving on any committee or would like to change your current assignment, please let me know asap. My goal is to have everything tied down by mid-July.
Many thanks, Tom Knight
Must Ministries Lunch Program
We will be collecting bags of apples in CUC for the MUST Summer Lunch program. Every Sunday through the months of June and July please bring bags of apples as you are able and they will be placed with the lunch crews for distribution with the bag lunches.
Last year we made 2400 lunches and plan to do that again this year. Our next date is June 26, Tuesday, 9:00 am, in the Fellowship Hall. We have enough volunteers signed up for that date but may need more some later on.
The CUC MUST Lunch Committee consists of Sandy and Bill Griffin, Martha Jane Mason, Jeff and Lesleigh Coelho, Jim Boswell, Claudia Phelps
From the Fellowship Committee:
There will be a CUC Patriotic Potluck Picnic in the DOD on Wednesday, June 27th! Save the date! Signup sheets will be passed in class. Plan to bring potluck dishes The Fellowship Committee is providing barbecue, buns, and iced tea. The Treble Makers will be singing for us.
2018 CUC RETREAT – OCTOBER 31 – NOVEMBER 2
By unanimous vote at our last retreat, we are returning to Chick-fil-A’s Winshape facility at Berry College for 2018. The facility, the staff, and the amenities are outstanding.
From a cost standpoint we are estimating the following rates: (subject to slight change)
- Married couple – $465
- Single – sharing a room $280
- Single – not sharing a room $350
- These rates include all meals, coffee breaks, ice cream breaks, etc.
We are not ready to announce our program at this time but feel the class will be well pleased and blessed by being there.
Please be prayerfully considering your participation in this annual event. More information will be coming, but we want to get an initial indication concerning your attendance and we want you to get it on your calendar to avoid conflicts.
We had a great response to the retreat sign up last week – 58 are signed up to attend. We will continue to “Pass the clipboard” this week. Deposits will be due in late June. The program is shaping up very well and will be announced soon! Questions? Ask Roger Davis.
DON’T MISS THIS SPECIAL EVENT!!
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Apples to CUC for MUST lunches!
Box Tops should be clipped when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores and brought for CUC Red Bird Ministry basket
Flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses – keep collecting them and bring to Sunday School.
- Granddaughter of Linda & Jim Boswell as she leads a mission team in Cambodia
- Sharon Schnakenberg Friend’s daughter – Stephanie Owen – for good outcome with her kidney surgery
- Johnny Johnson – prayers for successful outcome of upcoming Hip surgery
- Prayers for President Trump and North Korea negotiations
- Beth Hamilition prayers for Mike Sammons and his family, who is in the final stages of pancreatic cancers
- Nancy VanHorn – prayers for Bill & Deanna and the babies. The babies are improving but they need our prayers
- Edna Smith – prayers for her second operation – hernia surgery on June 20
Ongoing Prayer Requests
- Mary Serafina asked that we continue to pray for her daughter Pam Pruit as she battles cancer. She is going to MD Anderson in Houston for further evaluation.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey. Andrew’s trial has been postponed to July 18th.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.( Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so the editor can keep information current)
- No Birthdays
- Beth and Bob Hamilton – June 17, 1961 – 57 Years!
- Katherine and Craig Simons – June 17, 1967 – 51 Years!
- Cecelia and Bob Moore – June 20, 1970 – 48 Years!
- Patsy & Bill Lanham – June 20, 1964 – 54 Years!
- Janet and Allen Buckley – June 22, 1991 – 27 Years!
- Wednesday, June 27– CUC Patriotic Pot Luck Picnic
- Friday, June 29, 7:30 PM, and Sunday, July 1, 3 PM – Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- Jul 26 – 27th – 28th Matinee 1 – 28th Matinee 2 – 29th – Acting Up – “Annie”
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct 8, 10am – 21st Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat
“Other” Calendar Events
- Jun 17 – National Eat Your Vegetables Day
- June 18 – NATIONAL GO FISHING DAY
- June 19 – National Garfield the Cat Day
- June 20 – National Vanilla Milkshake Day
- June 21 – 1st Day of “Summer”