“While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.’ So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.”
Thus begins Paul’s first missionary journey! AD 46
Acts 13 2-3:
Sunday, May 27, 2018
Bringing Hope to Honduras
Our speaker this Sunday will be Phil Dodson, son of our own Malone &Charlotte Dodson.
Phil joined the Lunches for Learning team as Executive Director in April of 2016.
His topic will be “Bring Hope to Honduras…One Lunch at a Time”. Several of our CUC members have traveled to Honduras on mission teams and seen firsthand what a difference this program has made.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This Sunday they will be provided by Linda & Tom Cantrell and Pat & Grady Phillips
Sunday, May 20
94 members + 2 visitors + 1 teacher = 97.
Sunday, May 20
CUC Coffee Cups
At Linda Boswell’s suggestion and to be sure we are taking better care of our Father’s earth CUC is planning on replacing the styrofoam coffee cups which are not recyclable with paper cups and reusable cardboard covers.
CUC’s Wednesday Night Out!
The Wednesday Night Out Dinner on May 23rd at The Olde Blind Dog was enjoyed by 22 CUC people.
Unfortunately they did not honor the agreement that we be put within the desired spaces where we normally are placed; however, the covered patio was just the past week air conditioned and was not too hot. The manager (Lisa) provided complementary appetizers and desserts. The service was great.
If you want to come and don’t sign up, please call Ann or Larry Douglas (770.363.3568) by noon Tuesday, May 29, so we can provide the restaurant with an accurate count.
Must Ministries Lunch Program
Fellow CUCers, summer is here and that means Must Summer Lunches. Last year we made 2400 lunches and plan to do that again this year.
Beginning Sunday June 10 we will be collecting bags of apples in CUC for the Must Ministry lunch program. We will continue this collection every Sunday through the months of June and July. Please bring as you are able and they will be placed with the crews for distribution with the bag lunches.
We will also be passing the clipboard for volunteers to make the lunches. They will be ham sandwiches this year. Y’all were so great last year and we had many volunteers.
It takes about 15 volunteers to put these lunches together. We know we can do it again this year!
Our first date is June 12, Tuesday, 9:00 am, in the Fellowship Hall.
Thank you for all you do throughout the year.
Sandy and Bill Griffin, Martha Jane Mason, Jeff and Lesleigh Coelho, Jim Boswell
From the Fellowship Committee:
There will be a CUC Patriotic Potluck Picnic in the DOD on Wednesday, June 27th! Save the date! Plan to bring potluck and games to share.
Homestretch Road Race Results
Rose Burton has expressed her appreciation to the CUC Class for its participation in the recent Run the River Road Race.
It was the biggest yet with more than 1500 runners. The gross income was over $83,000
Little Things Mean a Lot!
Please keep on clipping Box Tops when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores. CUC has a basket for their deposit.
Please remember to keep collecting and bring to Sunday School your flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses
- Lynn & Jim Adcock as they prepare for their move to Huntcliff Summit on July 1
- Mary Serafina – following mild stroke which has left her with some problems with balance. Still somewhat “housebound” but doing better.
- Pray for the families and congregations of the nine pastors and their spouses from the Church of the Nazarene who were killed in the recent Cuban airplane crash.
- Jim Boswell – Home after a “heart tune up” at Piedmont Hospital.
- Betty Robertson – out of the hospital and doing well after adjustment of medications.
Ongoing Prayer Requests
- Mary Serafina asked that we continue to pray for her daughter Pam Pruit as she battles cancer.
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.( Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so this editor can keep information current)
- The family of Carolyn Batterson thanked the CUC Class for assisting with funeral arrangements and providing food for the reception following the service.
- § None §
- Linda & Jim Boswell – May 27, 1961 -57 years!
- Sunday, June 10 – Farewell reception for Eric Lee and Kristin Heiden
- Wednesday, June 27– CUC Patriotic Pot Luck Picnic
- Friday, June 29, 7:30 PM, and Sunday, July 1, 3 PM – Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat