While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit,” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When had said this, he fell asleep. And Saul was there, giving approval to his death.
Sunday, May 6, 2018
Jesus’ Ministry in Galilee
This Sunday Scott Schaefer, husband of Mary Schaefer, will be our CUC speaker. His topic will be from the gospel of Matthew, Matthew 4:12 – 14:12, Jesus’ Ministry in Galilee.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Gloria & Jack Stadler, Diane Stephens, and Bob Morisey.
Sunday, April 29
85 members, 2 visitors and a teacher for a total of 88
Sunday, April 29
The Anatomy of Peace
Several class members asked about getting a copy of the book The Anatomy of Peace that Allan Kennedy talked about last Sunday. On Amazon.com in paperback it sells for $9.69 if you have Amazon Prime. Otherwise it’s $17.95.
‘Tis the Season for CUC’s Wednesday Nights Out!
Our WNO for May 9 at 5:30pm will be at Provino’s Italian Restaurant, 1255 Grimes Bridge Rd., Roswell. If you fail to sign-up on Sunday & wish to come, please call Larry Douglas (770.363.3568) by noon on Tuesday, May 8.
Believe Ministries Benefit
This year’s benefit will be May 10, 6:30 pm in the Fellowship Hall. The CUC Fellowship Committee is again making this one of CUC’s social events and will be coordinating our participation. The Bereans Sunday School Class has challenged CUC to a “participation” contest for this event. So, put this date on your calendar and be prepared to sign-up via a “Clip Board Passing”. We don’t want to come in “Second” to the Bereans!
An Evening of Music, Magic, Message and Merriment!
Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration
Your hosts, Jane and Greg Davidson have an amazing night planned:
Christian Illusionist Greg Davidson
World-renowned Magician LEVENT
A great Auction
Coffee & Delicious Desserts
Tickets are free; your donation that evening will support the Christian outreach of Believe Ministries.
Order tickets before May 4 by signing up on the clipboard in CUC class or contact
Jane Riley (Davidson), 770.587.1292 or e-mail Jane@BelieveMinistries.org
Your invitation: https://tinyurl.com/BelieveCelebration2018
Little Things Mean a Lot!
his week a mailing envelope full of Box Tops for Education went to Red Bird Christian School in Beverly, KY. These small items, added to others from all over the USA, help to buy school supplies. This school, part of a Methodist Missionary Conference community in rural Appalachia, services young people in a widespread area. Gaining an education provides hope for graduates to find employment and a better life. THANK YOU for clipping Box Tops when you see them on boxes, cans, bags you have brought home from stores. CUC has a basket for their deposit.
Please remember to keep collecting and bring to Sunday School your flip tops from cans for Ronald McDonald Houses and your box tops and labels for Redbird Missions.
RUMC May Senior Trip-Mercedes Benz Stadium Tour
From Andrea Cummings: Join us for a tour of the Mercedes Benz Stadium on May 30th. Meeting in the parlor by 9:00 a.m., leaving by 9:15 a.m. We will have lunch at the Hudson Grille (https://hudsongrille.com/menu).
Tickets are $15 and lunch is on your own. Tickets have to be purchased in advance. As such, I will need payment for your ticket prior to the trip. Please register and pay online, if you can at www.rumc.com/seniortrip. Otherwise, please drop a check or cash off Monday-Thursday. Make checks payable to Roswell United Methodist Church. If you have any additional questions email or call, firstname.lastname@example.org|770.261.1796.
RUMC Travelers Club
Looking to take more trips with the wonderful folks of RUMC? Check out these trips with the RUMC Travelers Club:
- May 29: Mystery Trip – Come join us on an adventure to the unknown – Lunch Included.
- July 26 – July 28: Dillard House Inn and Restaurant, Georgia Mountain Fair, Hiawassee, Unto These Hills Outdoor Play – good food and good times!!
- Sept. 12 – Sept. 23: Broadway in Atlanta presents Aladdin at the Fabulous Fox Theatre.
- Oct. 01- Oct. 14: Best of Fall in New England and Spirits of Sleepy Hollow
- Nov. 26 – Nov. 29: Christmas at Myrtle Beach. Staying at the Island Vista Condo Resort and includes 2 Christmas Productions at the Alabama Theatre and Carolina Opry.
For more information, contact Cindy Hogan, Secretary, RUMC Travelers, email@example.com | 404-735-3288.
There is a singles group that grew out of the Singles Ministry that RUMC had a few years back that meets regularly at the church, but doesn’t get much publicity. Here are some of the activities coming up in May if anyone is interested:
- SATURDAY, MAY 5TH 4:30 – Kentucky Derby Party at home of Nancy Scott 1391 Willow Point Trace, Marietta, 30068 Cost: $5:00 plus a covered dish. Reservations firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-993-2012
- THURSDAY, MAY 10 – STAR Monthly Meeting in the Trinity Cafe – 5:45. Speaker: Jeff Justice speaking “How to Use Humor to Avoid Stress”. Reservations: Wednesday May 9 – 2:00 Contact: Nancy Scott : email@example.com or 770-993-2012
- SATURDAY, MAY 12 – 6:00 Dinner at China Garden. Reservations: Sheila Richards 770-650-4010 by Friday May 11 – 2:00
- (SATURDAY, MAY 19 – TBA, SATURDAY, MAY 26 –TBA)
- Caroline Batterson – hospitalized with pneumonia
- Pat Cooney – for healing of broken wrist
- Roger Davis – doing well after back surgery
- Seig Hoogstraal recovering from hernia surgery this past Monday
- Mary Serafina – following mild stroke and hospitalization last week
- Pastor Andrew Brunson, wrongly imprisoned in Turkey, his wife and family, and for Terry and Wanda Taylor’s son Kent who is Andrew’s partner in ministry in Turkey.
- Bob Moore’s brother-in-law placed on hospice care
Ongoing Prayer Requests
- Mary Serafina asked that we continue to pray for her daughter Pam Pruit as she battles cancer. Pam feels your prayers and feels God’s hand on her life.
- Bob Davis recovered from illness and back to CUC
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
(Please send updates on any of our ill or recovering classmates so this editor can keep information current)
- Bob Hamilton – May 7
- Pat Phillips – May 9
- Gayle & George Crolius – May 9, 2001 – 17 years
- Lesleigh & Jeff Coelho – May 9, 1970 – 48 years
- Sunday May 6 – 4th Annual Church BBQ 11:30- 1:30 – RSVP to RUMC.com/BBQ
- Thursday, May 10 – Believe Ministries Event – 6:30 pm in the Fellowship Hall
- Wednesday, May 30 – RUMC Senior Day Trip – Mercedes Stadium
- Sunday, June 10 – Farewell reception for Eric Lee and Kristin Heiden
- Friday, June 29, 7:30 PM, and Sunday, July 1, 3 PM – Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- August 2-4 – RUMC Garage Sale Extravaganza
- Oct. 31, Nov. 1, 2 – CUC Annual Retreat at Winshape Retreat