“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Sunday, February 4, 2018
The Art of Compassion
Dr. Ron Greer, director of Pastoral Counseling Service at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church will speak at our CUC Class this Sunday. His topic is “The Art of Compassion.” Ron is a wonderful speaker and we are glad to have him back with us again.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Linda Mooney, Peggy Rodway, Jill Caviness, and Nancy Van Horn
88 members +1 visitor + 1 speaker = 90
Super Bowl Party
Our CUC Super Bowl Party is this Sunday Feb 4, at 5:30, at The Mellow Mushroom, at 935 Woodstock Road. It is going to be a good party! For questions contact Jeff Coelho or MariAnna Brown.
Murphy Harpst Birthday Party
Thank you, CUC Class, for generously supporting efforts to make our fourth annual birthday party at Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center on February 10th a success. Bingo games we visitors play with the residents are an important part of the afternoon, and small prizes won mean a lot to young winners.
The following are suggested prizes and tokens for good behavior: decks of cards (regular playing cards or Uno or card games), hair accessories (bands big or small, headbands, brushes), small action figures or Legos, gel pens, Cokes/Dr. Pepper/Orange Fanta soda, Starburst/Sour Skittles/Pixie Stix, stuffed animals. The committee would appreciate class members shopping for any of these items or checking at home if you have them and can make those donations. You may have some other ideas for creative and appropriate prizes! A box in the classroom is available to receive them until this Sunday, February 4. THANK YOU!
Homestretch Peachtree Tea
The 11th annual Peachtree Tea to benefit Homestretch will be held February 27, 11:00 – 1:30 at the Country Club of the South with a champagne reception, luncheon and auction.
CUC always has a nice turnout to this event and Lynn Adcock would like to get at least a full table together from our class. Contact Lynn or sign up on the sheet being passed on Sunday if you are interested in supporting Homestretch and attending. Tickets are $80.
Get your Cans to Church!
February is RUMC’s month to fill the pantry at North Fulton Community Charities. Remember to bring non-perishable items to the church this month.
CUC Prayer Requests
- Jim Adcock who will be discharged home from rehab in the next few days
- Jim Boswell – pray for recovery of his voice following successful major heart surgery
- Brenda Burrell and family. Her great grandson, Daniel passed Monday night. She was thankful to have seen him on Sunday afternoon.
She believes he served a special purpose in his brief life … touching hearts and planting good seeds.(Visitation is 11:00, Service at 12:00 Sat, Feb 3, Lakeside Funeral Home, Woodstock)
- Rose and Jim Lappe and family on the loss of their son, Jason. A service will be held Feb. 9 at 11:00 A. M. in The Chapel Roswell officiated by Eric Lee. (In lieu of flowers donations are requested to Murphy Harpst 740 Fletcher Street, Cedartown, GA 30125-3249). Melissa Lappe, Jason’s ex-wife was having a needle biopsy Thursday to determine if she has breast cancer. They really need healing prayers for the Lappe Family
- Frank Magaro not doing well, but will be transferred from the hospital back to Sandy Springs Place on Friday.
- Bob Schnackenberg on the loss of his sister, Joan Valentine. After many, many years of dealing with a very serious nervous system condition illness, Joan passed Wednesday in Dublin, California, at the Hospice Care Center where she was receiving care. Joan’s son Bob and his wife Sally were with her at the time of the passing; these are two wonderful people. Bob said his mother was very comfortable and her suffering was over and that she is now in a better place with God in charge. My sister leaves many relatives in the Atlanta and Reno areas. Son Bob and his wife Sally are the parents of twin grand daughters that are raising seven great grand children that Joan was always so happy to be with at family functions.
- Stan & Virginia Thomason as they make major decisions on future home selection
- Dianna Frey (former CUC member) – with major medical problems, having surgery to remove spleen
- Bonnie White was finally back to CUC class following a long bout with pneumonia
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Don MacLeod – February 4
- Tom Cantrell – February 4
- Gayle Crolius – February 6
- Patricia Mashburn – February 6
- Sieg Hoogstraal – February 7
- Bob Morrisey – February 9
- Sunday, February 4 – CUC Superbowl Party
- Saturday, February 10 – Birthday Party at Murphy Harpst
- Saturday, February 10 -Lunches for Learning Valentine’s event at Founder’s Hall
- February 9 -10 RUMC Women’s Retreat
- Tuesday, February 27 – Homestretch Peachtree Tea
- March 1-4 – GIC -Life on Mission: Hope In the Face of Injustice
- Saturday, April 14 – Homestretch 2018 Run the River