On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine.
John 2: 1-3 and 7-9
Sunday, October 22, 2017
A Report On The 2017 Annual Conference
This Sunday Linda & Ernie Bond who were RUMC lay representatives to the Annual Conference will give the CUC class a report on the 2017 Annual Conference [AUDIO].
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week.
This week they will be provided by Virginia Hardy, Garlinn & Mike Story, and Frank Foil
CUC Class Attendance Sunday, October 15
85 members and 2 visitors – total 87
CUC Retreat Coming Soon!
Our retreat is getting closer. 65 people had originally signed up to attend our Berry College retreat, November 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Be aware that you still can sign up. We have at least 3 rooms available and would like to fill them if possible. Have you made a last minute decision to go? Do you have friends who would like to join us? Please see Paul or Sara Beecham, Jeannie or Jim Ehlers, our retreat coordinators, to sign up.
All meals will be provided. It will be a very memorable retreat in a beautiful location. Check in is 3 PM on Wednesday. Check out 11:00 Friday.
A White Christmas for Murphy Harpst
As the result of CUC asking about a practical need at Murphy-Harpst Children’s Center, we will be collecting white bath towels for the teenagers there. The teenagers are responsible for doing their own laundry, and towels are in demand. To give this project a festive flavor, a large laundry hamper decorated with a big ribbon will be available in the CUC classroom on Sundays starting November 5th. After December 10th all these gifts will be sent to Murphy-Harpst by way of Pam Kramer, a staff member who lives in Marietta. Thanks for sharing Christmas Blessings! Questions? Contact Betty Hunt, Norma Hills, or Claudia Phelps.
Operation Christmas Child
Many people are gathering items for Operation Christmas Child. Lynn Roberts still has the boxes waiting to be filled. Our CUC goal is 100! The filled boxes are due back by November 13th. Bring them to Sunday School or drop them off in the church office.
Go on-line to Operation Christmas Child – How to Pack a Shoebox for full information. Have fun filling your box(es)! (No candy, liquids or toothpaste!) You will make some child very happy! By the way, the cost to Samaritan’s Purse for shipping each box this year is $9. The best way to pay is on line.
CUC Christmas Party
Mark your Calendars! The CUC Christmas Party will be on Monday, December 4th, at the Metropolitan Club. (A sneak peek at the menu sounds delicious!).
RUMC Murphy Harpst Offering
This year, the annual RUMC children’s offering to be collected this Sunday, Oct. 22, will support Murphy-Harpst, which CUC has been actively supporting for some time. Murphy Harpst is committed to meeting the needs of abused and neglected young people through residential treatment, placements in specialized foster care, and community programs.
You are invited to Grow in Faith in 2018
Please join RUMC for one of the following Grow in Faith gatherings with Tom Davis, where we will learn about some specific ways God is working in the lives at RUMC and beyond. Together, we will celebrate what God is doing through you and your support of RUMC. At each of these gatherings, there will be an opportunity to turn in a pledge card or you might want to take some time to pray about your contribution and return it later.Please let RUMC know you are coming by choosing a gathering listed. Each event will include a full meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).There are two more available dates left,
- Monday, Oct. 23, 7:30 am
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 12 p.m. (following 11 a.m. Worship service)
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
- and it is very easy to sign up at rumc.com/gathering.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
For the benefit of Red Bird Mission School, please continue to clip Box Tops for Education bring them to class.
Labels for Education bar codes are still accepted until December 1, 2017, so any brought to CUC will be sent in before then.
Betty Hunt this week is ready to send in 157 Box Tops. If any are turned in Sunday, they will be added. Also 9 Labels for Education are ready to be mailed. Not a big number for either, but they help to make a big number for Red Bird Mission School once they are added to others sent in from other sources.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Lynn Adcock as she continues to recover from chemo and regains mobility
- Jim Boswell had his heart procedure done on Thursday and plans to be home on Friday.
- Shirley May is having Carpel Tunnel surgery on Monday
- Juliana Goodson‘s daughter Leslie and her husband Jason as they, along with their family, recover at Juliana’s home from multiple severe injuries following an auto accident.
- Mary Serafina‘s daughter Pam in Burmingham who has been diagnosed with liver cancer. Please keep Pam and her family in your prayers.
- Terry Taylor’s son, Kent, is an ordained pastor serving on the mission field in Turkey for the past 12 years. He works with Pastor Andrew Brunson who has led the Resurrection Church in Izmir for 23 years. In October 2016, Andrew was thrown into prison, and falsely accused of being part of the failed coup in Turkey. Franklin Graham, President and CEO of Samaritan’s Purse, has called Andrew’s wife, Norine, to offer comfort and support. President Trump and Vice President Pence have tried to persuade Turkey’s President Erdogan (in two separate meetings) to release Andrew to no avail. The Turkish government has indicated that they will free Andrew if the United States will turn over Turkish Pastor Gulen who has lived in exile in the United States since 1999. Gulen is accused of instigating the coup.
Please pray for Kent and Andrew, Norine, and their three children as they deal with this crisis. Andrew & Norine’s children – Jordan, Jackie, and Blaise are currently in the United States going to school.
- Beth Hamilton back to CUC after suffering a fractured pelvis several weeks ago.
Ongoing CUC Prayer Request
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay – now at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- — none —
- Babs & Shaw Skillings – October 22, 1966 – 51 years !
- October 21 – Great Day of Service
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College
- December 4 – CUC Christmas Party