For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Sunday, October 15, 2017
A Request For Help and Thoughts About The Lord’s Prayer
George Martin will be our CUC speaker this Sunday with the topic,“A Request For Help and Thoughts About The Lord’s Prayer”. We are glad to have George and Sandy back with us in our CUC Class.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Gayle & George Crolius, Pat Stamps, and Bonnie White
CUC Class Attendance Sunday, October 8
71 members and 3 visitors – total 74
CUC Class Contributions Sunday, October 8
CUC Small Group Dinners
These dinners which give CUC’ers a chance to gather in smaller groups and really get to know one another are being scheduled for this month and next. If you haven’t already signed up and still wish to participate, please contact Kris Taylor. You’ll be glad you did!
CUC Retreat Coming Soon!
65 people have signed up to attend our Berry College retreat, November 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Message from the committee:
Our retreat is getting closer. We went to WinShape on Thursday to finalize our contract. We had a great meeting and were very impressed with the attention to detail that they provide for our meeting. Umbrellas if it rains, blankets in the room if you get cold, and of course, the ice cream machine open from 7 am to 11 pm. It is a great facility.
Be aware that you still can sign up.
We have at least 3 rooms available and would like to fill them if possible. Please see Paul or Sara Beecham, Jeannie or Jim Ehlers to sign up.
Thanks to all that are going. Your support is greatly appreciated. It will be a very memorable retreat.
Operation Christmas Child
It is time to gather items for Operation Christmas Child. Lynn Roberts has the boxes waiting to be filled. If you didn’t get one or two or more this past Sunday she will have more this Sunday. Our CUC goal is 100! The filled boxes are due back by November 13th.
Bring them to Sunday School or drop them off in the church office. Go on-line to Operation Christmas Child – How to Pack a Shoebox for full information. Have fun filling your box(es)! (No candy, liquids or toothpaste!) You will make some child very happy! By the way, the cost to Samaritan’s Purse for shipping each box this year is $9. The best way to pay is on line.
Celebration of Life
The Celebration of Life for Mary Jean Thrun, Judy’s Zierk‘s Mother, will be held in the Chapel on Saturday, October 14 at 2:00. A reception will follow in the Parlor.
CUC Christmas Party
Mark your Calendars! The CUC Christmas Party will be on Monday, December 4th, at the Metropolitan Club.
You are invited to Grow in Faith in 2018
Please join RUMC for one of the following Grow in Faith gatherings with Tom Davis, where we will learn about some specific ways God is working in the lives at RUMC and beyond. Together, we will celebrate what God is doing through you and your support of RUMC. At each of these gatherings, there will be an opportunity to turn in a pledge card or you might want to take some time to pray about your contribution and return it later.Please let RUMC know you are coming by choosing a gathering listed. Each event will include a full meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).There are three more available dates left and it is very easy to sign up atrumc.com/gathering.
- Monday, Oct. 16, 12 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 23, 7:30 am. Sunday, Oct. 29, 12 p.m. (following 11 a.m. Worship service),
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
Great Day of Service
The RUMC Great Day of Service will be Saturday, October 21. One of the projects is Rise Up Against Hunger. The plan is to prepare 50,000 meals, requiring 200 volunteers in 2 shifts, 8:30 to 12:00 or 1:00 to 3:00.There are also other projects on and off campus such as prayer quilt ministry, Homestretch, Habitat build, and Foster Care Support . It is easy sign up on line.
RUMC Murphy Harpst Offering
This year, the annual RUMC children’s offering to be collected on Sunday, Oct. 22, will support Murphy-Harpst, which CUC has been actively supporting for some time. Murphy Harpst is committed to meeting the needs of abused and neglected young people through residential treatment, placements in specialized foster care, and community programs.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
For the benefit of Red Bird Mission School, please continue to clip Box Tops for Education from several grocery store items and bring them to class. Labels for Education bar codes are still accepted until December 1, 2017, so any brought to CUC will be sent in before then. A recent publication from Red Bird Mission celebrated its 29th, and final, van from Campbell’s Labels for Education Program.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Carolyn Batterson as she recovers from her fall
- Jim Boswell as he will enter Piedmont Hospital next Tuesday, October 17 for a procedure to be done on Thursday, October 19 to repair the tricuspid valve of his heart. Prayers for a successful outcome, as well as health and peace.
- Beth Hamilton for relief of pain from fractured pelvis.
- Juliana Goodson‘s daughter Leslie and her husband Jason as they recover at Juliana’s home from multiple severe injuries following an auto accident.
- Mary Serafina‘s daughter Pam in Burmingham has just been diagnosed with liver cancer. The treatment will be radiation in hopes of shrinkage of tumor. The tumor has spread some so surgery is not possible right now. Please keep Pam and her family in your prayers.
- Sandy’s Nance‘s husband Dick, passed away peacefully Thursday morning with his family at his bedside. Please keep Sandy and her family in your prayers.
- Lynn Adcock’s recent PET scan showed no need for further chemo. Her mobility continues to improve
Ongoing CUC Prayer Request
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay – now at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Lenna Sharp – Oct. 17
- Shirley May – Oct 18
- Sue Gardner – Oct. 18
- Jan Buckley – Oct. 19
- ** none **
- October 16 – Center for Civil and Human Rights day trip,
- October 21 – Great Day of Service
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College
- December 4 – CUC Christmas Party