The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Sunday, October 8, 2017
Who Is This Rich Young Ruler?
Our own Bob Moore will be our CUC speaker this Sunday. His title is “Who Is This Rich Young Ruler?”. Bob always brings us a great lesson.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Patricia Mashburn, Mary Kay Mills, and Bob Morisey.
CUC Class Attendance Sunday, October 8
100 members = 1 teacher = 101
CUC Class Contributions Sunday, October 1
CUC Small Group Dinners
These dinners which give CUC’ers a chance to gather in smaller groups and really get to know one another are being scheduled for this month and next. If you haven’t already signed up and still wish to participate, please contact Mary Serafina or Kris Taylor . You’ll be glad you did!
CUC Retreat Coming Soon!
We are now collecting final payment checks for our Berry College Retreat, November 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
- For signed up couples, the remaining amount is $302.20.
- For signed up singles NOT sharing a room, the remaining amount is $262.32.
- For signed up singles sharing a room, the remaining amount is $196.30.
- Remember that all meals are included in this amount.
- Please make checks out to CUC with 2017 Retreat on the Memo line.
- If you have not signed up and would like to attend the retreat, please contact Paul or Sara Beecham or Jim or Jeannie Ehlers. IT IS NOT TOO LATE!! The 2017 CUC Retreat Committee thanks you for your support.
Operation Christmas Child
It is time to gather items for Operation Christmas Child. Lynn Roberts has the boxes waiting to be filled. If you didn’t get one or two or more this past Sunday she will have more this Sunday. Our CUC goal is 100! Go on-line to Operation Christmas Child – How to Pack a Shoebox for full information. Have fun filling your box(es)! (No candy, liquids or toothpaste!) You will make some child very happy! By the way, the cost to Samaritan’s Purse for shipping each box this year is $9.
Jim Boswell talked to UMCOR Sager Brown in Baldwin, La. on October 2nd regarding shipments of finished flood cleaning kits. He was advised they expect to ship over 50,000 completed kits by the middle of October. Most of the deliveries go in truck lots to a warehouse in Conroe, Tx. for redistribution to the needed areas in Houston.
A truck load is 1872 kits on 52 pallets. Freddie Cook, Warehouse Manager told him they would probably sent 25,000 cleaning kits to Puerto Rico in the next two weeks. Finally, based on the UMCOR estimate of $65 per kit, there will be $3.250 Million Dollars of Flood Cleaning Kits shipped by the Middle of October. GO METHODISTS GO !
You are invited to Grow in Faith in 2018
Please join RUMC for one of the following Grow in Faith gatherings with Tom Davis, where we will learn about some specific ways God is working in the lives at RUMC and beyond.
Together, we will celebrate what God is doing through you and your support of RUMC. At each of these gatherings, there will be an opportunity to turn in a pledge card or you might want to take some time to pray about your contribution and return it later.
Please let RUMC know you are coming by choosing a gathering listed. Each event will include a full meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).There are five available dates left and it is very easy to sign up at rumc.com/gathering.
- Wednesday, Oct. 11, 12 p.m.,
- Monday, Oct. 16, 12 p.m.,
- Monday, Oct. 23, 7:30 am.
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 12 p.m. (following 11 a.m. Worship service),
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament to benefit The RUMC Foundation, Inc. is this coming Monday Oct. 9, 2017. This is an 80th birthday tribute opportunity in honor of Dr. Malone Dodson. Thanks to those who are supporting this by playing, contributing, and volunteering. (Please pray for no rain!)
RUMC October Senior Day Trip
Join us for a tour of the Center for Civil and Human Rights, October 16th. We will have lunch at Mellow Mushroom following the tour. The tour is $14 and lunch will be on your own. For more information about the Center for Civil and Human Rights visit: https://www.civilandhumanrights.org/. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 770-261-1796.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
For the benefit of Red Bird Mission School, please continue to clip Box Tops for Education from several grocery store items and bring them to class. Labels for Education bar codes are still accepted until December 1, 2017, so any brought to CUC will be sent in before then. A recent publication from Red Bird Mission celebrated its 29th, and final, van from Campbell’s Labels for Education Program.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Carolyn Batterson as she recovers from her fall last Saturday
- Jim Boswell as he will enter Piedmont Hospital on Tuesday, October 17 for a procedure to be done on Thursday, October 19 to repair the tricuspid valve of his heart. Prayers for a successful outcome, as well as health and peace.
- Beth Hamilton for relief of pain from fractured pelvis.
- Juliana Goodson‘s daughter Leslie and her husband Jason as they recover in North Fulton Hospital from multiple severe injuries following an auto accident this past Wednesday. They are improving and hope to be moved out of ICU today. Julianna sends her thanks for all the prayers. Please continue to keep them in your prayers.
- Sue Gardner requests prayers for her brother, who is not making progress dealing with graft vs. host disease following his bone marrow transplant. The doctor is going to increase steroids and immune suppressant drugs next.
- Sandy Nance‘s husband Dick was admitted to hospital this week. He suffers from pulmonary fibrosis. (Sandy works regularly with CUC women on Wednesdays preparing Roswell Kids materials )
Lynn Adcock’s PET scan showed no need for further chemo. Her mobility continues to improve
Ongoing CUC Prayer Request
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay – now at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Dave Taylor – October 8
- Dal Zierk – October 10
- Rose Lappe – October 12
- Kathy & Bob Carpenter– October 12, 1980 – 37 years
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- October 16 – Center for Civil and Human Rights day trip,
- October 21 – Great Day of Service
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College